Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Msarver

Default 2000 C5 Service Column Lock

I am a first time vette owner and I need some help.
I have a 2000 C5 automatic wth 55,000 miles that I have only owned for a couple of months. It has been sitting during the cold weather and the battery went low.I tried to start it and I got the service column lock warning. The steering isnt locked and the car runs fine after I charged the battery. I still get the warning when I turn the key on , but the car seems fine. I have read some posts that say the steering locks and the fuel shuts off if you try to drive it, but I'm not experiencing those issues. I'm not sure if there was a recall on my car but the carfax doesnt show any recalls.
Since the steering isn't locked, should that mean something has previously been fixed and if so how do I clear the alarm?

Thanks for any advice
Msarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msarver View Post
I am a first time vette owner and I need some help.
I have a 2000 C5 automatic wth 55,000 miles that I have only owned for a couple of months. It has been sitting during the cold weather and the battery went low.I tried to start it and I got the service column lock warning. The steering isnt locked and the car runs fine after I charged the battery. I still get the warning when I turn the key on , but the car seems fine. I have read some posts that say the steering locks and the fuel shuts off if you try to drive it, but I'm not experiencing those issues. I'm not sure if there was a recall on my car but the carfax doesnt show any recalls.
Since the steering isn't locked, should that mean something has previously been fixed and if so how do I clear the alarm?

Thanks for any advice
Since your steering doesn't lock the GM Column Lock Recall service was done to it. For an automatic that would have installed a small diameter lock ring that physically prevents the column from locking and there should have been a reflash of the PCM to set the fuel shutoff to 2mph. There also would have been a GM K Harness installed between the lock motor and the BCM. Chances are that when the battery went low the relay portion of the GM K Harness fried. The GM K Harness having failed is what is causing the error message(s) you are seeing. The internals of a fried relay will look like this:

Since you are NOT the original owner of the car, a prior owner likely had the fuel shutoff reprogrammed to a higher number like 200mph. Or, if the car has had a tune applied to the PCM then most tuners reset that speed when they do the tune.

Since the only problem you are experiencing is the message(s) you have several options:

1) Do nothing and just reset the error message each time you start the car. Cost = none.

2) Remove the GM K Harness and plug the lock motor male connector into the female connector that is attached to the bottom of the dash that goes over to the BCM. This restores the column lock wiring to factory. The K harness is NOT needed. Cost = none

3) Remove the GM K Harness and install an after market CLB. cost = $50 plus shipping.

4) Purchase and install a new GM K Harness (which will fail again the next time the battery goes low). Cost = around $120.

Lots of additional Column Lock info found on the last 15 or so pages of this link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ky-please.html
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Msarver

Thank you for the reply 8vette7!
Where will I find the K harness on the car and would I be better off replacing it or bypassing it?

Thanks again
Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Sometimes common sense isn't so common.

My advice would be to do item 3 mentioned by 8VETTE7.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msarver View Post
Thank you for the reply 8vette7!
Where will I find the K harness on the car and would I be better off replacing it or bypassing it?

Thanks again
Rather than me retyping the info for the nth time, read through this post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578...-post1619.html

Specifics to your question is just below the pic.

Post back here or PM me if you still have questions....
8VETTE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Jims79
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
My advice would be to do item 3 mentioned by 8VETTE7.
however I would still replace your battery. It may still have a low charge or week and that's why you are getting the lock code. Also and get a battery tender ($39) for the weeks when she sits in the garage. It will keep your battery fully charged.
Jims79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
leebay
CF Senior Member

If you replace the battery , get one that has reserve capacity of 120 which is required for the C5's and get a Column Lock Bypass about $50 @ Corvettes of Houston.
leebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Msarver

Thank you guys for all of your input.
i am stopping on my way home from work to get a new battery and I ordered the CLB from Houston today.
A corvette has been a dream of mine for 40 years and I sure dont want to lose faith in it this soon!

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 01-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
hotwheels57
CF Senior Member

I have a late production '04 Z06 and last year decided I had risked the column lock long enough. I used this to prepare myself for the job. I also used the CORVETTES OF HOUSTON kit. The instructions will explain what you need to do if you already have a GM remedy installed.

The hardest part was trying to get my hands/forearms up into the area where the connection has to be made. Read this over a few times and you should be ready...

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24
hotwheels57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Buggyman
CF Senior Member

8VETTE7 is the expert on this as far as I am concerned. I have followed his direction and fixed mine with no trouble at all. I have also learned a lot from his posts on other topics.
Buggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
hdkeno
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggyman View Post
8VETTE7 is the expert on this as far as I am concerned. I have followed his direction and fixed mine with no trouble at all. I have also learned a lot from his posts on other topics.
also great guy as well.
hdkeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
yaknow
CF Senior Member

get CLB from one of a number of vendors, it's the cheapest insurance you can buy in the the short term and long term running your vette.
yaknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page 2000 C5 Service Column Lock

Tags
2000, 2001, c5, capacity, colum, column, corvette, lock, reserve, service, sevice, steering, vette