Sponsored by:

Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know

A number of us have seen members take a can of Plasti-Dip to practically everything on the C5. Not a lot of you were too keen on the idea of "ruining a classic design," which is kind of funny because this is a non permanent thing. Gives anyone the ability to take a peek at what their car would look like with other color options (red, white, blue, yellow and of course black). TorchRedDriver comes to mind being he damn near did his entire car haha. He also ordered several different colors and I'm not sure if he's done anything with them as of yet.

A few examples (sorry for not getting permission Torch, NVTHIS, Qwick01):

Getting to my point, a few here weren't a fan of the flat black but guess what? I give you Plasti-Dip Glossifier. Spray whatever color Dip you want and just like regular paint, add a layer of clear coat and BAM, glossy...anything. That can STILL be peeled off the exact same way. Since Plasti-Dip has taken off as a car mod in a can, they've come out with numerous products that have only made them even more popular. Just poke around the site from the link and you'll see what I mean.

But for those who would like pics with out the jump here you go:

Plasti-Dip with the Glossifier

Gold Metalizer

Silver Metalizer

Gunmetal Grey (an exclusive color)

Now from the pics/vid this isn't your top quality powder coating alternative for your wheels, or the uber paint job. What it is, is an affordable preview if you will for what you might want to make permanent in the future and that is pretty awesome.

Last edited by nvusgt; 01-21-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't need my permission. I love the stuff and I think it is a great product. I like the matte finish better than the gloss, but the glossifier is nice for those wanting that gloss look. If adding the glossifier, the cost can add up. My main concern is how long will this stuff last. I have already washed the car once with no problems with the plasti-dip. I recently sprayed my rear side marker lights and added GS hash marks. It's nice to experiment with a product and not have to wory about messing something up.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:27 AM
robert21122
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i plastic dipped everything and clear coated it.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 AM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This stuff is great. Since when is there a glossifier!? I wish I would of known this while I had my top half of the car taped up spraying the roof and side mirrors. But I do like the matte. It does have a hint of gloss.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:01 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 785 Likes on 442 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I would love to see one done in person. It just scares me to death to take any rattle can to a C5.

They look good in pictures, that's for sure.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by corvettezman
I would love to see one done in person. It just scares me to death to take any rattle can to a C5.

They look good in pictures, that's for sure.
I agree with you on that. I have been wanting to do my rear lower fascia and have all of the material, but just cannot pull the trigger.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Look fellas, I know it can be a mental block "taking a rattle can to my car," but I can assure you that this is quite possibly the least harmful thing your C5's have been exposed to.

Take a look at this thread and the guys name is Fonzie I guess, same guy who does the dipyourcar youtube videos and he did his entire Audi S4 in white and again in black. He's been experimenting with this stuff for a long time and if you'd like to get up the courage to do something similar, he's the one you want to read up on. His car is factory Ibis White and it's still in showroom condition after having done countless trial and error with different ideas.

Just watch the vids, the product speaks for itself. Don't like it, peel it off. Didn't do a good job, peel it off. This stuff is pure awesome in a can that won't hurt your cars finish. Oh and if you're worried about how long it can last, there's been several people who took their car through touchless car washes, with wheels, emblems, various parts of front or rear bumper and nothing happened. Fonzie did say a wheel got knicked with a pebble but it took him 10minutes to touch up. It's made to stay on and only be removed if you intentionally start peeling it off.

Anyway, the glossifier was made not too long ago and there's videos of Fonzie doing wheels after using either black, or the gold metalizer. Looks pretty decent. Actually good enough to where I'm gonna buy a few more cans (got 2 when I did the rear lower fascia a few months back) with the glossifier and do my roof. I've been wanting to get gloss black vinyl but I can't afford it at the moment, but I can certainly afford $15 bucks in rattle cans haha.

Question for Robert. So your saying you used plasti-dip then used automotive clear coat? You do know that it's not going to have the same easy peel off characteristic because you used an automotive clear right? I really hope you experimented before doing that. Now for others reading this, this is not to scare you from using Plasti-Dip. You just can't use non Plasti-Dip products in conjunction, that's why they've made the Glossifier that keeps the peel off ability.

Last edited by nvusgt; 01-22-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. I didnt know you can gloss them. I will be glossing the wheels on my car now. Thanks!! Jay
Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Be sure to get the Plasti-Dip Glossifier, I wouldn't want you thinking automotive clear coat is good for this type of application.

Just so we're clear
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 PM
tsbbzm
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice wright up! Plasti-Dip is "Fun, Fun, Fun for the whole Family!!!"

Old 01-22-2012, 03:50 PM
zrtdawg44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so basically I have never even heard of this stuff and I am just dumb founded. I have been wanting to see what black rims would look like in person on my 02 and I think this is my chance. I can do one wheel or all off the wheels and then decide if I wanna go that route. Wow this stuff is crazy. I do have to admit it seems kinda ricerish at first but really seems like a safe and high quality product.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM
LMFD296
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I have used PlastiDip and I approve this message....
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I saw they had a clear plastic dip spray, will this work as a low cost car bra??? Anyone tried it? Seems like an excellent idea. I tried putting one of the 3m clear bras on my wife's new car and it was a major pita to get it on right.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
I saw they had a clear plastic dip spray, will this work as a low cost car bra??? Anyone tried it? Seems like an excellent idea. I tried putting one of the 3m clear bras on my wife's new car and it was a major pita to get it on right.
The clear you speak of, is it the Glossifier I talked about in the first post, or is it something different?

And damn. I never thought about using the clear as a bra whereas TorchRed used the black Plasti-Dip as a bra for his road trip over the holidays.

I'd say go for it, as long as it has the same characteristics as regular Plasti-Dip ie. peels off in no time, there shouldn't be problem. Certainly a better alternative for others who thought Torch's (red vette first post) idea was a bit brash.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:07 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

^^^No, they also list just a clear plastic dip, seperate from the glosifier. Sounds to me that it could be a great clear bra alternative. If it worked id use it on all of our cars. I'm going to look for some this week.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

def keep us posted, I'm curious how it'll turn out

Get notified of new replies

To Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know

Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out dipyourcar.com
Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 AM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Trying not to sound like a dud but I think this dipping thing is age related. I'm 56 years old and tend to like the wheels on my rides shiny. By rides I mean the Corvette, the Harley, and the lowrider Silverado. The young guys I work with might have one of the same the only difference being blacked out wheels, lights, anything shiny etc... Am I making since here? It's all cool!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:06 AM
markpetersonii
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by torchredmadness
Trying not to sound like a dud but I think this dipping thing is age related. I'm 56 years old and tend to like the wheels on my rides shiny. By rides I mean the Corvette, the Harley, and the lowrider Silverado. The young guys I work with might have one of the same the only difference being blacked out wheels, lights, anything shiny etc... Am I making since here? It's all cool!
I completely agree. My dad loves his chrome and shiny stuff and I am always trying to cover it up. I'm not sure where that came from. Usually a ton of chrome was showing off class and cleanliness. Where the idea of hiding it came from, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know