Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
427TTA4
CF Senior Member

RickyBobby7ohh
Default How can I fix my targa top leak??

Well I just hate it when my top leaks and I dont even know about it.I walked to my car and turned it on from a 2 month sit and I got inside and theirs some kind of mold barely showing on the pass side door panel so the only thing that would cause it to leak would be the top.Is their a company that sells them or any method that I can restore the weather stripping..Oh and its a coupe thanks
427TTA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Vetteman Jack
CF Senior Member
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Jefferson City, MO Sometimes common sense isn't so common.

I've got some Word files that discuss water leaks and how to adjust the window/targa top for a better fit. Of course, if your weatherstripping is shot, that's a different story. If you would like a copy of the files, PM me your e-mail address.
Vetteman Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
C5FORFUN2
CF Senior Member

You must leave it parked out in the weather, so extra care is needed to keep the weather stripping protected. As stated in other posts, most use dielectric grease and or Aerospace 505. The dielectric grease will help seal the areas where the side ws meets the front and the rear ws especially. Replacements are readily available from Wilcox and other forum sponsors too.
C5FORFUN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
luckyirishguy
CF Senior Member

any1 know where to get targa replacement stripping that doesnt cost so much?
luckyirishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
22tdrew@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
I've got some Word files that discuss water leaks and how to adjust the window/targa top for a better fit. Of course, if your weatherstripping is shot, that's a different story. If you would like a copy of the files, PM me your e-mail address.
If you still have the Word files available, I would like a copy:

22tdrew@gmail.com
22tdrew@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
seu318

luckyirishguy - allow me to be a cautionary tale - - i too was shocked by the OEM replacement cost for the targa top seal, and I ended up getting the 'off brand el cheapo' version. Went in ok, but lasted less than 6 months before the hideous seams on it started to separate. My advice: Resist the urge, bite the bullet, and just buy the OEM. I need to redo mine again, as the el cheapo is completely worthless. I should have listened to all on this board who recommended to stay away from the cheap replacement. You don't want to be where I am now - having basically thrown away the $149 only to find myself back where I started - having to spend the big bucks on the OEM version anyway.
seu318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
s'noJob
CF Senior Moments
Support Corvetteforum!

My glass top leaked for years at the rear passenger window. While replacing with the painted top, I noticed the weatherstripping was pinched - perhaps while I or a previous owner had mounted one of the tops. I was able to work the pinch out and it hasn't leaked since.

Blackwing Intake -- Corsa Sport Exhaust with X-pipe -- Nitto NT555 Tires -- C6 Z51 Sway Bars -- Bilstein Shocks -- Hi, Lo, & Fog HIDs -- 3.15 Performance Axle -- NGK TR55 Plugs -- Russell Stainless Steel Brake Lines -- Custom Dyno Tune by Mayhem Motorsports

~ If I'm feeling a bit light-headed, does that mean I don't need a H.A.N.S?
s'noJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
oh1vette
CF Senior Member

Wow, talk about karma....

Just discovered this weekend I need to replace the Targa Top Halo weatherstrip and yeah sticker shock for sure...

So far I found GM PartsDirect to be the best deal: $172.94 (freaking Zip has it for over $300)
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
oh1vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
ScumOne
CF Senior Member

Jim Seavall

If you want sticker shock, try this...my 04 CE got hit by flying metal debris on the freeway. Couldn't figure out which trucker (of six semis) did it, so I just turned it into insurance.

The metal debris hit the windshield, targa roof, strip behind it, etc.

So all the weatherstripping on the top had to be replaced for the complete paint job.

That was a shade over $900 from GM.

I got the B pillar GM weatherstrip (the long one that covers both the rear part of the door windows and over the top) from Eckler's on a 20$ off sale for around $275. I put that in my 99 C5 and that worked nicely for reducing the wind noise I had before on the 14 year old factory w/s.

So I've spent almost $1300 on weatherstripping in the last two weeks.

Argh!
ScumOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Oh 2 Fun
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09, '13

Greg Larson

Quote:
Originally Posted by s'noJob View Post
My glass top leaked for years at the rear passenger window. While replacing with the painted top, I noticed the weatherstripping was pinched - perhaps while I or a previous owner had mounted one of the tops. I was able to work the pinch out and it hasn't leaked since.

Kind of the same thing for me. The pin of the top had broken some of the rubber and pinched it in a way that let water run right inside. I had an inch of water once on the driver's side.

So I now make sure the pin goes where it should and the rubber is in the proper position. No leaks since.
Oh 2 Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page How can I fix my targa top leak??

Tags
04, adjust, c5, corvette, fix, leak, leaking, leaks, repair, roof, targa, top, vette, ways, winter