Sponsored by:

The stock Bose speakers...wow

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Default The stock Bose speakers...wow

I've had the car for a few months now and have been so impressed with the power and handling of it that I really havent messed with the CD/radio much at all, lol. I was just out today in some of this amazing January weather we are having the the N.E., so far I have just listened to the radio. This doesnt have satellite radio so I had just been listening to broadcast stations which for some reason sound HORRIBLE on it, even the clearest stations in other cars I have come in terrible in this car. Anyway, popped in one of my favorite CD's for the first time and cranked this system up (dead and bloated, by STP ) All I can say is WOW!!! these bose speakers are the best stock set of speakers I have ever owned in a car. I was always focused on performance mods, never was a stereo person so I always just made due with whatever came with the car. This system freakin rocks though, holy crap it cranks out some sound. Just had to mention how blown away I was by this CD player and sound system. Now I need I just need to figure out how to hook up my Ipod to it

Last edited by MY03C5Z; 01-07-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:17 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
I've had the car for a few months now and have been so impressed with the power and handling of it that I really havent messed with the CD/radio much at all, lol. I was just out today in some of this amazing January weather we are having the the N.E., so far I have just listened to the radio. This doesnt have satellite radio so I had just been listening to broadcast stations which for some reason sound HORRIBLE on it, even the clearest stations in other cars I have come in terrible in this car. Anyway, popped in one of my favorite CD's for the first time and cranked this system up (dead and bloated, by STP ) WOW! these bose speakers are the best stock set of speakers I have ever owned in a car. I was always focused on performance mods, never was a stereo person so I always just made due with whatever came with the car. This system freakin rocks though, holy crap it cranks out some sound. Just had to mention how blown away I was by this CD player and sound system. Now I need I just need to figure out how to hook up my Ipod to it
There seems to be something bizarre about the difference between the tuner and cd...When I first test drove a c5 with the stock radio on FM, I thought "eh, not very good". But then I rode in my uncle's with a CD, woah, totally different, 10x better. Not sure why though.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Yeah, listening to broadcast radio stations really sound like **** in this system. Thats all I've used it for up until today. I was really disapointed with it, not sure whats wrong but its the WORST radio I've ever heard in a car, just sounds lousy. But throw a CD in and it sounds like a whole different sound system.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:01 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many posts that complain about what a crappy system C-5s have but I always thought it sounded pretty good!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Bri03MSG
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the exact same thing I have an '03 vert wasn't too impressed with the speakers when using the radio but when I loaded up the 12 disc cd changer and put on some Rob Zombie I turned up the volume a little and wow whole different sound! Some people hate the Bose system in this car but it sounded pretty good to me. I don't need a crazy stereo system though with all that huge bass. I can't stand hearing those cars bumping down the street when I'm in my house.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Every stereo I have had always sounded better playing a CD than broadcast FM. I actually thought this one sounds better on FM than what I have experianced previously. It doesn't compare with the Alpine system in the Jag but niether does the interior.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor34
There seems to be something bizarre about the difference between the tuner and cd...When I first test drove a c5 with the stock radio on FM, I thought "eh, not very good". But then I rode in my uncle's with a CD, woah, totally different, 10x better. Not sure why though.
I'm guessing it may have something to do with the FM antenna and/or tuner. The CD player uses neither.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 PM
saxtonfwd
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 01 vert had stock tape player with bose and I bought one of those cheap tapes that hook to your IPOD and my system bumps, actually sounds good for stock. Agree the FM doesn't sound as great. I guess after having after market stereos and equipment its hard to stick with stock though.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Kman1971
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If you want good radio, you need a hs tuner. There is an aftermarket part for gm vehicles to add ipod blue tooth and Hf radio and you select it with the band button, I put it in my 04 table with nose dysfunction and worked great. Do a Google search, I can't rember the brand. Sorry.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:42 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

i changed out my stock cd player the first week i got my Vette...i don't play cd's anymore so mp3 capabilities was a must!

next week, the bose amp/system is coming out in favor of a complete Memphis Audio setup with highs, mids, and one or two woofers...i need more cowbell!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 PM
SR-71
Pro

STP just makes it sound better..
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Broadcast sounds ok in my FRC,,might have something to do with the tall fixed mast antenna on the back of the FRC. Sadly the CD player shot craps. have an aftermarket unite in there for now,,but I'd like to get my stock unit fixed, I liked it too!!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM
WildTurkey
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SR-71
STP just makes it sound better..
nice avatar
Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kman1971
If you want good radio, you need a hs tuner. There is an aftermarket part for gm vehicles to add ipod blue tooth and Hf radio and you select it with the band button, I put it in my 04 table with nose dysfunction and worked great. Do a Google search, I can't rember the brand. Sorry.
Are you sure its called HS TUNER? I googled it and I dont really find anything on it. Just stuff for HP TUNER, the engine tuner software. Id like to find this, I really didnt want to go with an aftermarket system, just want to be able to play my ipod through it.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

naw...he meant a HD tuner...the "s" is next to the "d"...lol

and yes they sound awesome

http://www.crutchfield.com/hdradio/

Last edited by XPLOSYV; 01-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
lfj2025
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the 12 disc changer it's easy to hookup a iPod. I use iSimple ISGM73. Just plug in and go.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Bobd207s
Burning Brakes

Location: Cancer Sucks - please donate to Corvettes Conquer Cancer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If you contact Dennis at Double D he can sell you a real nice conversion kit so you can play the IPOD thru the stereo

Bose has many reputations and none of them are good but if it works for you that's all that counts

Get notified of new replies

To The stock Bose speakers...wow

Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 PM
SR-71
Pro

Originally Posted by WildTurkey
nice avatar
Thanks man, I've always been a fan of Calvin and his sense of humor.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

What you are experiencing is the difference in the data that each medium can deliver. Broadcast radio can only deliver so much over the airways, a CD has exponentially more capacity and thus more detail and higher quality (more complete) signals.

Think of it like your TV... throw an antenna on your top of the line HD model and it will still suck. Now plug that same TV into a cable box transmitting an HD signal connected with a HDMI cable and bam, you are watching the sweat drip off of the running back's face.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 781 Likes on 441 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Until you yank the whole crappy system out and start from the ground up with DD stuff, you will not know what a good stereo system should sound like.
I replaced the head end, the 4 speakers, a 5 channel amplifier, and added a 10" sub with enclosure and WOW !
I can actually stream my music from my phone through Bluetooth No CD or ipod needed. And the sound is The Nav and Bluetooth come in handy too .

Quick Reply: The stock Bose speakers...wow