Sponsored by:

Help, Dealership trying to rip me off

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 AM
SFL_driver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, Dealership trying to rip me off

Alright so I brought my car in on Tuesday to have the harmonic balancer replaced and my A/C fixed at a local GM dealership. Now as many of you know, to replace a harmonic balancer the steering rack has to be moved or removed as well as the power steering pump. Well I ended up paying about $2000 for the balancer install and for them to replace a leaking compressor which was fine. So I picked the car up on Friday and go to drive off the lot and notice that the power steering isn't working when the engine is at idle, its alright when I rev it up and try but other wise, nothing. Now I went in and told the service guy that had been helping me and basically their conclusion was that it wasn't their fault, even thought they had just been messing with the power steering. And they drove the car 1.8 miles after the install (I reset the trip counter) and claimed they never noticed. The service manager basically said they would give me a rental and pay for labor but I had to buy the $400 part. Which is rediculous seeing that there never even was a problem when I brought the car in. I have the rental till Monday while they check it out.
Well as you can tell I'm very frustrated and just wanted to hear what you guys have to say about this whole power steering pump issue.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,235 Likes on 13,934 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If it was working fine when you brought it in, it should be working fine when you picked it up. If the service manager won't accept responsibility, talk to the dealership owner.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What $400 part?

Remember it is speed sensitive steering, so it should be real easy at idle movement and stiff at speed.

It is amazing how car related businesses do business, the very same people you count on to maintain your business operation, they will purposely screw and do it with a straight face.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I hate it when incompetent jerks what to avoid any responsibility. Looks like the idiot technician either failed to refill and cycle the steering pump and cylinder. I don't see much he could have assembled wrong in putting it back together. Maybe just check the fluid level and see if that's the problem.

When you made the problem known to the Service department they should have immediately taken the car and investigated the trouble.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM
SFL_driver
Pro

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
What $400 part?

Remember it is speed sensitive steering, so it should be real easy at idle movement and stiff at speed.

It is amazing how car related businesses do business, the very same people you count on to maintain your business operation, they will purposely screw and do it with a straight face.
The part was the power steering pump.

At idle there was no power steering at all. The car might as well have not been running.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 AM
SFL_driver
Pro

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I hate it when incompetent jerks what to avoid any responsibility. Looks like the idiot technician either failed to refill and cycle the steering pump and cylinder. I don't see much he could have assembled wrong in putting it back together. Maybe just check the fluid level and see if that's the problem.

When you made the problem known to the Service department they should have immediately taken the car and investigated the trouble.
The fluid was full when I checked at the dealership but who knows if they tried driving it and forgot to put some in and then added it once they realized (maybe that could damage it).

What do you mean by cycling the steering pump and cylinder? I don't know much about how the steering works.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I've never had a dealership take responsibility when something like this happens. I noticed my torque converter was slipping on my Ram while still under warranty. I received a coupon for a tranny service that specifically stated they change fluid/filter and perform an operational test. Picked it up and they said all was ok. So I thought I was imagining things.

I took it back a few months and 2K miles later and now all the sudden they said the tranny was shot. The warranty ran out within this 2K miles. When I ask why it wasn't caught the first time they told me they don't do a system check on a tranny service. When I ask them about their coupon they sent out they denied sending it out to me and I was making it up.

After a few words with the service manager I was ask not to come back to Dodge City Motors. So I spent 2K at a tranny repair shop. I have another story about an AC service that went the same way at another repair shop as well.

So unless you are prepared for a fight you are probably receiving about all you will.

Yes, I think they did something wrong. That's the problem with having a car that is no longer being manufactured, it's difficult to find someone who knows how to work on them even though they aren't really that old. At least that's been my experience anyway.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 AM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I have found if your car is out of warranty find a private
repair shop, particularly one that works on high performance cars like corvettes. They usually are more reliable, cheaper and more
customer friendly. Check with your local corvette club or with vette
magazine to find one.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That power streeling problem was caused by them but don't expect them to take any resposibility!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cessna10
I have found if your car is out of warranty find a private
repair shop, particularly one that works on high performance cars like corvettes. They usually are more reliable, cheaper and more
customer friendly. Check with your local corvette club or with vette
magazine to find one.

and thats why their nicknamed "Stealerships"
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate to add insult to injury but...

Regaurdless of what messed up the pump, you can get a reman one for about 60 bucks. Wonder what they put on?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Our Corvette club is sponsored by a local dealer and they not only do a great job, they stand behind their work. Not all dealers are myopic and they will do what is right.

I think it is important to let any repair shop know and agree that a car is in good working order before they take the vehivle in their possession. If I'm getting tires changed, not only do I make sure they know the wheel condition, I take a picture. Years ago I had some work done on my 65 at a large dealership in Alexandia Virginia. After paying the bill I drove out of their lot and discovered they hadn't bled the brakes. I found that raising a bit of hell in the show room got pretty good attention from them..If you get my drift.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:14 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm sure all you do is turn the steering wheel all the right till it stops then all the way left till it stops. Do this to clear the air in the lines when they put it back together. I think that purges any air out of the steering pump and lines.

At least I think it does?

Get notified of new replies

To Help, Dealership trying to rip me off

Quick Reply: Help, Dealership trying to rip me off