Sponsored by:

Your self inflicted wounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Your self inflicted wounds

Actually accidental damage you caused to your beloved Vette while trying to make an mod / improvement / repair ...

I'm sure this list will be ongoing / pics too !

And it might save others the same agony ...

Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Froze the nut on my right front lower ball joint... ended up having to cut the nut off and replace the ball joint.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Got in a fight with a curb. The curb won.

Aside from that "minor" incident, I've actually managed not to break more things than I fix with this car.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m6 c5
Froze the nut on my right front lower ball joint... ended up having to cut the nut off and replace the ball joint.
Sorry but that HAD to hurt like a SOB.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My Euro headlight fit was a disaster.

I ordered the kit and it arrived but one of the lights was broken in transit. The T85s for the UK were special order so it took a while to get the replacement.

I finally had all the gear I needed and started to strip the old lights out. All went well and I got the parking lights modified with a new circuit and the new headlight in on one side.

I then started to get over confident. The 2nd light went in but I thought I'd check that it was working before I bolted it back in place. I reconnected the battery but instead of turning the lights on I turned them off. The movement of the headlamp cradle caused avibration and the lamp which was resting on the edge of the engine bay sailed majestically down the hood and off the end. The electrical lead was just long enough to allow the corner of the light to make contact with the floor and it shattered the lens.

On my 3rd light it finally went well
Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 AM
Xx_Black-out
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

Originally Posted by onspeed

Aside from that "minor" incident, I've actually managed not to break more things than I fix with this car.
I would literally die, right there on the spot
Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I took my seats out to add heaters last year I dropped the driver side one on the sill and put a tiny chip in the paint. It's not that big of a deal, it's a DD that will crack 100k miles very soon so it has it's share of small blemishes already.

Luckily, I think that's the only damage I've ever done to it myself.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OUCH!

Originally Posted by Xx_Black-out
I would literally die, right there on the spot
Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
Actually accidental damage you caused to your beloved Vette while trying to make an mod / improvement / repair ...

I'm sure this list will be ongoing / pics too !

And it might save others the same agony ...

What is your's?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Nothing major, but after fighting with one of the stupid radiator shroud pins on the sides, and enduring some bloody hands in the process, I just ripped the damn thing right off, and replaced the pin after installing my honker. Stupid pin.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:14 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I did my cam swap while my wife was on vacation(so she couldnt see what was involved). She helped me take the hood off before she left. But I was too impatient to wait for her return to put the hood back on(I wanted to drive it to work!). I scratched the inside of the hood near the brackets from trying to hold it up and get the bolts in by myself.

I lost my grip on a jackstand and it swung just enough to touch the passenger quarter panel. It left a small nick in the paint. I could tell you its there and you couldnt find it. but I know its there and it drives me nuts.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

I had backed mine up on some step blocks one time to get the rear end up off the ground. When I went to drive forward and come back down off of them, the car rolled backwards and fell off. The tallest board is 3 or four boards (stacked) high, and my rocker came down on it. One side had a big crack and the other no damage. I was a little upset about that Costly repair
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 AM
airbrush1
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by J S Machine
I had backed mine up on some step blocks one time to get the rear end up off the ground. When I went to drive forward and come back down off of them, the car rolled backwards and fell off. The tallest board is 3 or four boards (stacked) high, and my rocker came down on it. One side had a big crack and the other no damage. I was a little upset about that Costly repair
Had a similar experience with my miata... except I was using ramps because my low profile jack was broken... Drove right over the ramps and onto my rockers, and I didn't have a jack, or a second car at the time to go get one. Had to call a friends girlfriend and have her bring his over!

as for the vette... while installing a new driver side mirror glass, I pushed too hard and broke it
Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM
slj455
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer
Default Count me in

dropped the targa top twice ........ into the car. second time put a small puncture in the cover of the console lid with one of the pins that comes out of the roof.

first time I did it was because I did not think about how hot the targa gets sitting in 90+ degree weather. Unlocked it, grabbed it lifted it then felt the burn....
Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Nothing on the car that I can think of. All of my self inflicted wounds are really self inflicted. I don't seem to be able to even wash the car without drawing blood. All of my CF friends will tell you it's bright red...

Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Wood
Hope I never get that cold!

I have kissed a parking curb also, but only caused about a quarter sized scuff but it really shows bad on the TR. If my car was as pristine as some I would be really sick but the nose of my car needed painting when I bought it. I'm going to drive it a while longer before I fix all the little trouble spots then I am going to purchase one of those parking radar systems for the front.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Nothing major, but after fighting with one of the stupid radiator shroud pins on the sides, and enduring some bloody hands in the process, I just ripped the damn thing right off, and replaced the pin after installing my honker. Stupid pin.
been there... done that!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Your self inflicted wounds

Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Wood
I knew that was coming...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

Fuel door was stuck shut. I pressed the release button and nothing. Yanked on the emergency release and still nothing. Ended up taking a flathead and trying to pry it open but of course cracked the fuel door and had to replace it. I was so mad at myself. Ended up getting the door open but hitting it outta frustration and then pulling the emergency cord again.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 AM
BHRZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wayy wayy too many to list

Quick Reply: Your self inflicted wounds