Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will be buying a C5 soon what to look for?! FRC vs Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Jims2001
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Besides looking better the coupe has the removable roof panel.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Not only does the coupe look better but there are several shades of blue for you to choose from
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2011, 12:16 AM
SEA99FRC
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd look out for the following:
-buy from a private owner unless the dealer has all records
-try to find out if steering column lock bypass was done
-is skip shift eliminator installed
-rear wheel bearings ok
-rocking seat problem
-headlights go up and down no problem
-run flat tires are crap. if you plan on spending any track time you'll want to replace them.
-bose stereo sounds great, but check for speaker rattles
-batteries were known to crack and leak, messing up the HVAC. make sure the controls work properly and look for a gel battery.

FRC's all were 6spd with the Z-51. I think you want the Z51 suspension for sure. I've never driven non z51 C5, but I've driven a non z51 C6 and it was too soft.

Most FRC's have standard seats. The sport seats are a lot nicer and you'll find them in coupes. As much as I love my FRC, coupes have different choices of interior colors (other than black), dual climate control, sport seats, huds, and of course you can remove the roof.

I'd look for a z51 6spd coupe, blue with a tan or grey interior and a hud. The black interiors are cave like in my opinion.

If you are really serious about performance go with a Z06, but it's not like a standard vette is slow!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:26 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Grimlock
The other cool thing with a FRC is that you can have a completely enclosed trunk once you add a divider. I really like having that versus an open hatch. I am sure you have less overall trunk space, but it is completely hidden from the outside which I like.

I'm unsure about the trunk space. I have a Z and it seems like the regular coupes have a high floor under the hatch, while my trunk is very deep.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:43 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SEA99FRC
I'd look out for the following:
-buy from a private owner unless the dealer has all records
-try to find out if steering column lock bypass was done
-is skip shift eliminator installed
-rear wheel bearings ok
-rocking seat problem
-headlights go up and down no problem
-run flat tires are crap. if you plan on spending any track time you'll want to replace them.
-bose stereo sounds great, but check for speaker rattles
-batteries were known to crack and leak, messing up the HVAC. make sure the controls work properly and look for a gel battery.

FRC's all were 6spd with the Z-51. I think you want the Z51 suspension for sure. I've never driven non z51 C5, but I've driven a non z51 C6 and it was too soft.

Most FRC's have standard seats. The sport seats are a lot nicer and you'll find them in coupes. As much as I love my FRC, coupes have different choices of interior colors (other than black), dual climate control, sport seats, huds, and of course you can remove the roof.

I'd look for a z51 6spd coupe, blue with a tan or grey interior and a hud. The black interiors are cave like in my opinion.

If you are really serious about performance go with a Z06, but it's not like a standard vette is slow!
My '99 FRC came from the factory with HUD. And honestly, no matter which Corvette you buy, the seats suck on all of them.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Pynikal
Advanced

thank you SEA99FRC for the list. that is all great info that i will be looking for in this car. and as far as the int. colors i very much want black, and as far as the seats i would probably change them out for some corbeaus anyway. im not really a bells and whistles guy i just want to go fast. it really sucks that i cannot find a Z06 in my price range but i can deal with that as the base vette is fast enough,.....for now

and vettemanjack, you have a PM!

oh and another question: Z-51 is pretty much the same as a Z06 but without the motor right?

thanks again guys.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It’s what you like that’s important. For me, I prefer the look of the coupe over the FRC and the vert. Also, have the option of going topless with the coupe….no can do with the FRC. Another positive over the FRC and the vert is cargo space. We enjoy going on road trips with our coupe and cargo space has never been an issue. I like I said before it’s what you like that’s important. Good Luck whatever you decide.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have always perferred the coupe over the rather plain looking frc.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
pluslt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jims2001
Besides looking better
Puff puff pass bro......
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
esemes
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I decided on the fixed roof. looked for over a year tofind the color too.(less frc's made too)

The z51, mn6, andblack interior did it for me. (black hides thepanel fitting gaps too)

Mine came with fogs, hud, etc.....

Happy hunting and hit up gene here with the vin (found that mine had all the expensive stuff fixed under warranty)

SMS
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I bought the coupe over the FRC because I think it looks better. I don't like the FRC/Z06 roofline; it looks like it was added as an afterthought to the rest of the body (because it was).
Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 AM
SEA99FRC
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=
oh and another question: Z-51 is pretty much the same as a Z06 but without the motor right?

thanks again guys.[/QUOTE]

Suspension is pretty close. Z06 has higher capabilities but Z51 is no slouch. The Z has 50 more peak hp and more torque. Z51 is super fast and Z06 is super duper fast. lol.

If performance is your primary concern, and you can afford the Z get it. You'll pay a lot more but the car will keep it's resale value.

On the other hand FRC's are the deal of the century for performance.

you cant go wrong either way!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

gotta disagree about the seats. I love 'em. I'm also curious about the references to the FRC being an 'add-on'. Why would Chevy use the heavier vert chassis for the lighter, stiffer-overall, more handling oriented Z?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
gotta disagree about the seats. I love 'em. I'm also curious about the references to the FRC being an 'add-on'. Why would Chevy use the heavier vert chassis for the lighter, stiffer-overall, more handling oriented Z?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ertible+weight
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by chasboy
yeah they all start out as verts if you use that logic. I know what he meant though.

I think all vettes are designed first as verts. Pretty sure the C5 was.

to the OP.

You will get some pretty heated responses on a FRC versus coupe. There is a thread here with a poll and the hardtop won hands down on overall looks. But many people like the coupe because you can take off the top. IMO they still aren't better looking than a FRC but are a little closer to the heritage of the vette. (ie open roof) Some like that, I however don't like removable roofs because I don't like the wind and noise. But a lot of people wouldn't drive one without the wind in their hair.

it's all personal preference. But it sounds like you would prefer the FRC. I was in the same boat. I loved the look of the FRC and I think it's the best looking vette ever, and I don't want a removable top that I would never take off anyway.

BUT, the clear roof panel is pretty cool to have. I had one on my C4 and I did like that aspect of it. I just don't like the hatchback look. But that's just me.

get that list from vetteman, it has good info in it. Also be aware of this.

If the traction control/active handling/ ever goes south, they don't make a replacement part for it so you will have to buy a used one, if you can find one, and take your chances. So that may be important if you plan to track it. That's on all of them from 97 to 2000. You can get a new one for the 01 and up.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 12-06-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Can't even imagine why I would ever want a FRC. Sure they look nice but in practical terms a coupe is the obvious choice for my wife and I.

First...the coupe's got probably close to double the trunk space as the FRC (that's not including the three "cubby holes" under the trunk that give you some nice additional storage space.

Second...You have a lot more flexibility in getting things into the coupe's trunk since you can open the hatch wide open.

Third...if you get one of those trunk covers no one can see what's in the trunk if they look into it. (We also have the rear hatch glass tinted so it's next to impossible to see in it anyway)

Fourth...You have the added option of being able to take the roof off and enjoy all those days when the weather's nice and you wish you had a convertible.

Fifth...if you by a coupe with two roofs (glass and solid color), it gives you the chance to change the looks of your car from time to time based on what you feel like using.

My wife and I put around 10K a year on 99 coupe. It's not a daily driver by any means but when the weather's not snow or ice we aren't hesitant to take it out. We travel to Ocean City, MD 5-6 times a year from Carlisle, PA. We also visit Atlantic City, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and many other lesser know destinations every year in the vette. We also take it when we play golf. We usually walk 18 holes and we can easily fit two full sets of golf clubs w/bags plus two pull carts, a good sized ice chest and all sorts of other things when we take it golfing.

When we go grocery shopping we can easily fit two carts of groceries in the trunk. People are continually amazed at how big it is and how much we can get in it.

Needless to say it also gets better gas mileage (19 in town and 28 on highway) than either of our other cars...09 Santa Fe and 06 PT Cruiser. But that's true of most newer vettes.

What more can I say? Good luck making your selection....just go with what really appeals to you...it's a vette, you can't go wrong.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:33 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

The FRC comes with the 3 cubby holes just like the coupe...

The two biggest reasons for wanting the coupe over the FRC, is carge space and wanting to take the top off. If neither of those matter to you, the FRC has it's own benefits(stiffer and lighter).

Get notified of new replies

To Will be buying a C5 soon what to look for?! FRC vs Coupe

Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
phinfan
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go with the Z06 if i were you, and i did.

I have been on this site researching for probably close to a year, I love all corvettes, but truly LOVED the Z06.

When it came time for me to purchase, it seemed (to me at least), that there was no rhyme or reason to what people were asking for their cars, there was plenty of coupes, and frc that people were asking more money for than my 23k mile black Z06.

Some people are hesitent on buying a 2001 because of some possible oil consumption issues, i cannot comment on all 2001's, but my closely watched oil level didn't move at all in about 1100 miles of driving.

I also bought a car with all maint records, and from a owner that owned for the last 9 years, so that helped clear up any questions on the cars history.

What is your budget?

I have watched a very clean 2001 Z06 go for 16k with 77k miles on this forum a while back. I think i also watched a real clean 100k mile 2002 go for ~15k?

I think you should hold out for a Z06, if you want one, i am real glad i did.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by phinfan
I would go with the Z06 if i were you, and i did.
I think you should hold out for a Z06, if you want one, i am real glad i did.
Me too, for phin and me.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by vette99coupe
Can't even imagine why I would ever want a FRC. Sure they look nice but in practical terms a coupe is the obvious choice for my wife and I.

First...the coupe's got probably close to double the trunk space as the FRC (that's not including the three "cubby holes" under the trunk that give you some nice additional storage space.

Second...You have a lot more flexibility in getting things into the coupe's trunk since you can open the hatch wide open.

Third...if you get one of those trunk covers no one can see what's in the trunk if they look into it. (We also have the rear hatch glass tinted so it's next to impossible to see in it anyway)

Fourth...You have the added option of being able to take the roof off and enjoy all those days when the weather's nice and you wish you had a convertible.

Fifth...if you by a coupe with two roofs (glass and solid color), it gives you the chance to change the looks of your car from time to time based on what you feel like using.

My wife and I put around 10K a year on 99 coupe. It's not a daily driver by any means but when the weather's not snow or ice we aren't hesitant to take it out. We travel to Ocean City, MD 5-6 times a year from Carlisle, PA. We also visit Atlantic City, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and many other lesser know destinations every year in the vette. We also take it when we play golf. We usually walk 18 holes and we can easily fit two full sets of golf clubs w/bags plus two pull carts, a good sized ice chest and all sorts of other things when we take it golfing.

When we go grocery shopping we can easily fit two carts of groceries in the trunk. People are continually amazed at how big it is and how much we can get in it.

Needless to say it also gets better gas mileage (19 in town and 28 on highway) than either of our other cars...09 Santa Fe and 06 PT Cruiser. But that's true of most newer vettes.

What more can I say? Good luck making your selection....just go with what really appeals to you...it's a vette, you can't go wrong.
See, I told you guys they were a grocery getter

Quick Reply: Will be buying a C5 soon what to look for?! FRC vs Coupe