Sponsored by:

C5 sellout!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Nice, But wait till you need service on the MB, You thought the other 2 were going to cost you... Hope you don't need to use the MB dealership... You will have a wake up call.
Enjoy your new car.
Mr.Bill
I owned a BMW 325i, and the parts where just as expensive if not more than those for the vette.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:30 PM
murf257
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Sorry to See You Go!

Also sorry to read all of the negative comments! We all have changes in our lives, some for the good, others......! Those decisions make us who we are! Hopefully the MB will be kind to you and your family. Good luck and hopefully you will return to the Vette Life!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM
HiltonFerg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an 04 ML55 AMG. It's been a great car. 130K miles on it. It's no harder to work on than any other car I've owned. I changed all 16 spark plugs and did the oxygen sensors at 100K or so, I've put Amsoil in it at the appropriate intervals, changed the transmission fluid, front and rear differential fluids, and the transaxle fluid... all normal stuff you'd do on any car.
Fuel economy is garbage and the car requires premium; but what do you expect for a 5.5 liter all wheel drive brick?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 AM
BRTC5
Racer

Originally Posted by HiltonFerg
We have an 04 ML55 AMG. It's been a great car. 130K miles on it. It's no harder to work on than any other car I've owned. I changed all 16 spark plugs and did the oxygen sensors at 100K or so, I've put Amsoil in it at the appropriate intervals, changed the transmission fluid, front and rear differential fluids, and the transaxle fluid... all normal stuff you'd do on any car.
Fuel economy is garbage and the car requires premium; but what do you expect for a 5.5 liter all wheel drive brick?
Good to hear at least one good expierence. There are so many Mercedes on the road they have to be doing something right. Hopefully I will be able to keep mine to 130k.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 PM
FLrealty
Instructor

Originally Posted by murf257
Also sorry to read all of the negative comments! We all have changes in our lives, some for the good, others......! Those decisions make us who we are! Hopefully the MB will be kind to you and your family. Good luck and hopefully you will return to the Vette Life!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRTC5
As soon as it goes out of warranty I will do the regular stuff myself just as I did with the Vette and use a MB independant for things I cannot do. That is way down the road and I look forward to letting MB pay for things that go wrong for the next 3 years.

My wife just told me the only thing she wanted to do today was to go on a corvette ride. FML. At least I know there will be no resistance when I get a C7.

Thanks on the baby congrats! Find out what the sex is next week.
Congrats! If its your first.....get sleep now.

Originally Posted by CatCam
Got that right! Good thing he didn't get a BMW - my next door neighbor says that stands for "Bring More Wallet" everytime he brings it in.
Your neighbor should learn to do the labor himself. I did a $730 brake job (BMW cost) for under $120. He is paying $610 laziness fee
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM
mfile2000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got that right! Good thing he didn't get a BMW - my next door neighbor says that stands for "Bring More Wallet" everytime he brings it in.
Funny thing is the BMW cars cost money to own and maintain, but their motorcycles are the exact opposite....go figure!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
mfile2000
Pro

When my Buick dies, probably next year, I am seriously considering a Hyundai. Good enough for a daily driver and I don't see how you can pass up a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Good luck with the new baby!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

only thing cheap about a BMW owner is the owner & i own a 2 wheel BMW & love it!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Amen to that!! Don't ask me how I know that.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 AM
2003 electronblue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettmann17

Worst used car you could have bought. Had two MB's that we leased new and had nothing but trouble, also family menbers have bought used MB's and got rid of them less than two years later due to constant breakdowns. I hope you got a good one and it serves you well. Most importantly congratulations on your upcoming baby, all the best!
The german must be drinking to much..
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 AM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Domestic cars cheaper to work on but not all German cars bad. Quality really improving. Had a BMW 335i turbo-----best car I ever had hands down. It was fast, reliable, and got really decent gas mileage. Built in maintenance was included, but never in shop. Amazing how the first oil change was 16k miles on the turbo car when BMW was paying for it. The synthetic oil these days is much better than we think.

German quality is returning to the market. It is very decent at this point.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:06 AM
wkndwarrior
Racer

once things settle down just find another vette and in the mean time enjoy every minute with the wife and little one.....glad i didn't get my vette until my kids were 4, 6, 8, & 10......#1 i'm sure i would have missed a few more "moments" than i already did being in the shop with the vette tinkering and #2 things were a little more stable once we got out of formula and diapers!!! forget the MB repair costs....huggies....WOW! once that was gone we were able to have the 8 seater mom tank, plus a beater 6 seater truck and a vette

now that my kids are older the boys enjoy helping me tinker and my daughter enjoys the occasional ride

enjoy what you have and the good news is.......you can always find another vette if you get separation anxiety!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
PryOpenUr3rdEye
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife just told me the only thing she wanted to do today was to go on a corvette ride. FML.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 AM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck
Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 AM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Tough crowd. 3 years of warranty built into the purchase price. 13000 mile maintance intervals. Already had the major services preformed and new brakes and tires before purchase. From what I can figure, the MB will be cheaper to maintain than the Kia we take to the dealer until the warranty runs out. A and B services once a year and anything else is covered. Much better service department expierence than Lincoln or Chevy. Bunch of good independant MB mechanics here in NVA if I decide to keep it when the warranty runs out.
I would not reccomend keeping it past the warranty...
Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol. have a Kia Sorento that my wife loves. That will suffice for now. Maybe a ML350 in the future? lol Sorry, had to do it.
Has the air intake sensor been sucked into the intake on the KIA yet? Ask me how I know. Happened 3 times just before and shortly after the warrantee ran out. It wasn't until the 3rd time they figured out what was happening (the sensor was breaking off and going into the combustion chamber). I imediately sold it before it happened again Needless to say I liked the car but unfortunately it had a major flaw. Someone higher up from KIA did an investigation on it while it was back in the shop. The same day I traded in the KIA and bought my new SUV I recieved a letter from KIA stating that a recall campaign was being invoked for this problem. Hopefully my experience has saved you and you have had the recall performed. Just an FYI, My Sorento was an '06

Good luck with the baby, and just my .02, don't find out the sex, it is much more exciting for everyone.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Good luck on the new baby!! We once had an MB in the family and it was bulletproof.

Quick Reply: C5 sellout!