Sponsored by:

C6 steering wheel in a C5??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:17 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Default C6 steering wheel in a C5??

Is there any way to swap the C6 steering wheel into the C5? I rented a new 2012 C6 while I was out in LA for my sister's wedding last weekend and love the steering wheel....although much prefer everything else about my C5 Z06
Old 11-08-2011, 06:47 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Is there any way to swap the C6 steering wheel into the C5? I rented a new 2012 C6 while I was out in LA for my sister's wedding last weekend and love the steering wheel....although much prefer everything else about my C5 Z06
There isn't anything currently that I'm aware of, I would also really like this. I spoke to John Caravaggio at Carlisle last year and he said he was looking into it, but I haven't seen anything yet. I'd love one of the Caravaggio or Apsis carbon fiber 3-spoke C6 wheels, so I'm hoping something comes out eventually.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM
WARD473
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
There isn't anything currently that I'm aware of, I would also really like this. I spoke to John Caravaggio at Carlisle last year and he said he was looking into it, but I haven't seen anything yet. I'd love one of the Caravaggio or Apsis carbon fiber 3-spoke C6 wheels, so I'm hoping something comes out eventually.
yea Im with you....that smaller diameter 3 spoke wheel is really nice...even stock as it comes in the C6 would be a nice upgrade....let a lone one thats had the Caravaggio touch
Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What makes the c6 wheel not fit on a c5?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i am sure they use the same bolt pattern or spline output...
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Why ???? the C6 steering wheels are fugly.....
Old 11-09-2011, 03:54 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Not so, and even if they could fit, the airbag wouldn't work.
This idea is dead, and I got it straight from the horse's mouth!

...and I would love a 'working' C6 wheel/bag in my car.

Only alternative is a 'Raid' SW.

Originally Posted by momo20
i am sure they use the same bolt pattern or spline output...

Last edited by JETZ; 11-09-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The C6 steering wheel is not compatible for 2 reasons. The first reason is that the spline of the C6 wheel is smaller than that of the C5. The C6 spline size is 0.630 with 36 teeth while I can't rememberwhat the C5 spline size is right now. The 2nd reason is that the airbag system on the C6 is a 2 stage while a C5 is a single stage.

The only known non original Airbag wheel for the C5 is from a German company called Raid. The wheels have become very popular in America with the Porsche, BMW, and Lotus people and can be purchased online through Porsche tuners. The harder part is finding a Raid steering wheel adapter that works with a C5. There is a German company that specializes in Corvettes that used to sell the adapters as well as steering wheels. I think they charged like 200 euros for the adapter.

One other challenge is determining what does it take to successfully wire the Raid airbag with the C5 airbag module. Based on some of the articles I have found online, if both systems are single stage(which in our case they are) than it's direct plug and play. If you are replacing a dual stage with a single stage(i.e. replacing a C6 wheel with a Raid wheel) you need to put an inline resistor into the 2nd stage to trick the computer into thinking it sees 2 airbags. If you look at the links I have provided of how the people hooked it up it looks a lot easier than one would think.

I am currently living in Germany until January so I'm hoping I can get in contact with the Corvette tuner here in Germany to find out whether the Corvette compatible adapters are still available and if it the Airbag really is plug and play. If that doesn't work out, I'm tempted to attempt a conversion of an existing steering adapter hub to one that fits the Raid wheel. If it gets to this point however I am wondering why bother having an airbag based on all the data out there that they do nothing to save lives.

Raid wheel in C5:

Link to steering wheels: http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/-/-/-/group/show/VID_16493398-VCD_36773901-gid_355-sort_4-display_50/Sport_Airbag_Steering_Wheel.html

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm

Link to German Corvette tuner: http://www.corvetteproject.de/

Single Stage Lotus Steering Wheel Conversion: http://www.lotusenthusiasts.org/Down...ll/Default.asp

Dual Stage BMW Steering Wheel Conversion: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23787

Last edited by SoDiezl350; 11-09-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

These pics are of my friend 'JR's car on the German corvettefrum.de.

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
The C6 steering wheel is not compatible for 2 reasons. The first reason is that the spline of the C6 wheel is smaller than that of the C5. The C6 spline size is 0.630 with 36 teeth while I can't rememberwhat the C5 spline size is right now. The 2nd reason is that the airbag system on the C6 is a 2 stage while a C5 is a single stage.

The only known non original Airbag wheel for the C5 is from a German company called Raid. The wheels have become very popular in America with the Porsche, BMW, and Lotus people and can be purchased online through Porsche tuners. The harder part is finding a Raid steering wheel adapter that works with a C5. There is a German company that specializes in Corvettes that used to sell the adapters as well as steering wheels. I think they charged like 200 euros for the adapter.

One other challenge is determining what does it take to successfully wire the Raid airbag with the C5 airbag module. Based on some of the articles I have found online, if both systems are single stage(which in our case they are) than it's direct plug and play. If you are replacing a dual stage with a single stage(i.e. replacing a C6 wheel with a Raid wheel) you need to put an inline resistor into the 2nd stage to trick the computer into thinking it sees 2 airbags. If you look at the links I have provided of how the people hooked it up it looks a lot easier than one would think.

I am currently living in Germany until January so I'm hoping I can get in contact with the Corvette tuner here in Germany to find out whether the Corvette compatible adapters are still available and if it the Airbag really is plug and play. If that doesn't work out, I'm tempted to attempt a conversion of an existing steering adapter hub to one that fits the Raid wheel. If it gets to this point however I am wondering why bother having an airbag based on all the data out there that they do nothing to save lives.

Raid wheel in C5:

Link to steering wheels: http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/-/-/-/group/show/VID_16493398-VCD_36773901-gid_355-sort_4-display_50/Sport_Airbag_Steering_Wheel.html

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm

Link to German Corvette tuner: http://www.corvetteproject.de/

Single Stage Lotus Steering Wheel Conversion: http://www.lotusenthusiasts.org/Down...ll/Default.asp

Dual Stage BMW Steering Wheel Conversion: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23787
Old 11-09-2011, 05:18 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JETZ
Is there any way you could get in contact with him to find out more information on the specifics of the retrofit? I would really appreciate it.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM
zesstey1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETZ

That wheel is bad a$$!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are too many nice wheels out there, The C6 wheel is fugly

Got mine from DS Vettes and it is my favorite mod, except for my S/C

Name:  IMG_1923.jpg
Views: 4656
Size:  112.5 KB
Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

yea I looked at the DSV wheel....to me it just looks like an over inflated version of the original
Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

I'll see what I can do.

Here is one in a C6.

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Is there any way you could get in contact with him to find out more information on the specifics of the retrofit? I would really appreciate it.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
yea I looked at the DSV wheel....to me it just looks like an over inflated version of the original
Exactly. That above model shown looks goofy, and still uses the cheap-looking vinyl center cover. If I absolutely HAD to have an airbag wheel, I would kick out the coinage for the Raid.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 AM
JR Germany
Instructor

Hi,

as Frank already posted I have the Raid steering wheel with 12,5'' diameter in my C5 and my C6 Z06.

In both cars airbag covers have been coated with leather and a stitched C5 resp. Z06 emblem which gives a much more better look on the wheel. This mod has no effect on airbag functionality.

Above there are some pictures of my C5 posted by Frank and SoDiezl350 but they are without the replaced airbag cover. Today in the evening I'm going to take some actual photos and post them here.

Werner Moll at www.corvetteproject.de is building the hubs, airbag change is nearly plug and play.

Regards

JR

Last edited by JR Germany; 11-10-2011 at 04:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 steering wheel in a C5??

Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 AM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JR Germany
Hi,

as Frank already posted I have the Raid steering wheel with 12,5'' diameter in my C5 and my C6 Z06.

In both cars airbag covers have been coated with leather and a stitched C5 resp. Z06 emblem which gives a much more better look on the wheel. This mod has no effect on airbag funcitonality.

Today in the evening I'm going to take some actual photos and post them here.

Regards

JR
That would be awesome! Could you also provide some insight into the airbag wiring as well as the design and source of the hub adapter. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:13 PM
JR Germany
Instructor

Here we go!

C5:

C6 Z06:

May be C5 logo could be placed a little more deeper on airbag cover. Raid sticker on C5 steering wheel was removed easily but on the second steering wheel there was a small indendation for the sticker and so I had to replace it by another one.

In order to produce the hub an original steering wheel needs to be destroyed due to use of toothing with cross-cut in the new hub.

But technical details about hub and airbag wiring should be díscussed with Werner. He is the expert - I'm just a very satisfied user.

Riding pleasure - especially in combination with the sport seats in the Z06 - has dramatically improved. I would never drive a modern Corvette without these small steering wheels.

Regards

JR

Last edited by JR Germany; 11-10-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:28 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Thanks for posting those. Car looks really good!
Found some more pics from Corvetteproject.de

Adapter:

Quick Reply: C6 steering wheel in a C5??