Sponsored by:

Lower top

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:24 AM
ljmoya
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower top

I have a very silly question I just bought a 2001 corvette convertible and I dont know how let the top down. I unlatched and tried to open it manually but I did want toforce it and break something. Can someone tell me what I need to do? Thank You
Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 AM
MACKASH
Racer

Unlatch the 2 levers behind the visors and behind the driver seat (left shoulder side) if you were sitting in the car there is a button thats under the rear cover. Raise the front side of top then the rear and let the rear gently down and fold the front back down just dont force it too hard and close the tonno cover. Enjoy!! Remember if the trunk is open the hatch will not release. Enjoy!!
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ljmoya
I have a very silly question I just bought a 2001 corvette convertible and I dont know how let the top down. I unlatched and tried to open it manually but I did want toforce it and break something. Can someone tell me what I need to do? Thank You
It sounds like you need an owners manual. If you don't have one, go to GMPARTSHOUSE and click "downloads", courtesy of Gene and Patrick.

If you need parts, they're the guys to talk to (they actually answer phones)...
http://www.gmpartshouse.com/
Old 10-22-2011, 12:20 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

If you search on google you will find a great video of how to operate the top.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM
ljmoya
5th Gear

Thanks Guys, very good information. I did it. Lets see how it goes with me Vette I bought a 2001 for with 68,000 miles for $17500.00 I think it was a good deal car is in 6 spped excellent condition. It was a one owner an the owner was having a time getting in and out of
Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM
GBsC5Vert
Pro

Location: LA/OC border, probably sittin' under the patio, by the pool...smokin' a cigar! SoCal
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....and don't "pinch" your fingers when putting top back up! Also, whatever you do, make sure your windows are down when the top is down! It's a rule I think!
The following users liked this post:
Bob Onit (03-13-2023)
Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have an owner's manual (hardcopy or PDF)?

Page 2-70 illustrated steps.

LOWERING TOP

1. Set the parking brake firmly. Shift an automatic transmission into PARK (P). Shift a manual transmission into REVERSE (R).
2. Turn the ignition key to OFF. Lower both sun visors and turn them toward the door glass.
3. Unlock the front of the convertible top by lowering the latch handles and turning them inward. Push the latch handles back to the up position.
4. Lift upward on the front edge (A) of the convertible top off of the windshield frame. Then lift upward on the rear edge (B) of the convertible top to be vertical off the storage compartment lid (C).
The front edge (A) and rear edge (B) should be straight up and down.
5. Tilt the driver’s seatback forward and press the storage compartment release button located on the underside of the storage compartment lid (C) behind the driver’s seat. Then raise the storage compartment lid (C). While attempting to raise the lid, if the lid does not release and you hear three chimes, check to make sure the trunk lid is closed. Also, the lid will not release if the alarm is turned on or the trunk lid is open.
After pressing the release button, the driver’s and passenger’s door glass should retract to the full-down position.
If the vehicle has lost battery power, you can still open the storage compartment lid (C) using the manual release cable.
The cable is located underneath the carpeting behind the driver’s and passenger’s seats, in the center of the vehicle. When using the manual release, you must first open the doors to prevent damage to the seals. To access the cable, lift and pull back the carpeting. Then pull the cable to release the storage compartment lid if needed.
6. Push forward on the front edge (A) of the convertible top to allow the rear edge (B) of the convertible top to be moved to its full-down position.
7. Then move the top rearward to its fully-stored position.
8. After the top is stored, apply one even push on the center of the front edge (A) of the convertible top to assure that the top is fully retracted.
9. Close the storage compartment lid (C) by closing with a swift, firm motion.

Free Corvette Owners' manuals in PDF: LINK
Old 10-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,392 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
It sounds like you need an owners manual. If you don't have one, go to GMPARTSHOUSE and click "downloads", courtesy of Gene and Patrick.

If you need parts, they're the guys to talk to (they actually answer phones)...
http://www.gmpartshouse.com/
Tons of good, useful information in the owner's manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Lower top

Quick Reply: Lower top