Sponsored by:

Opinions on Lingenfetler

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on Lingenfetler

Looking for opinions on having my vette Lingenfelter'd. It looks as if I would have to go with a $16k package. Mine is a 2002 with 70k miles. Like most, I want some more power and there are many ways to get there, and many less expensive options.

So would the value of the Lingenfelter'd car be increased to the vette following, or would it be concidered just another mod'ed vette. The price tag is much. I could buy a second C5 (for the costs, but no solution), or sell and go 430 hp C6. I like the style of the C5 better, don't really know why. While rational plays a small role in what us vette nuts do. I guess I'm looking for some. Any thoughts to share?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:12 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They did good work for me BUT very expensive and at one time were very slow to get cars done. Good reputation though. Lots of alternatives. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:30 PM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KenShores
Looking for opinions on having my vette Lingenfelter'd. It looks as if I would have to go with a $16k package. Mine is a 2002 with 70k miles. Like most, I want some more power and there are many ways to get there, and many less expensive options.

So would the value of the Lingenfelter'd car be increased to the vette following, or would it be concidered just another mod'ed vette. The price tag is much. I could buy a second C5 (for the costs, but no solution), or sell and go 430 hp C6. I like the style of the C5 better, don't really know why. While rational plays a small role in what us vette nuts do. I guess I'm looking for some. Any thoughts to share?
Yes it would be another modded vette. No it doesnt add 16k to the car. C6 and C5 are totally different. If you want power, for that money.....forged your block and supper charge it with $$$ to spare.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that's about what I thought. Expensive, good rep and all, even warrenty. I don't hold much value in modded vettes, as in, you wont get your money back. I didn't really know if the name would hold any extra value. But then we don't mod for the next owner, we mod for ourselves. Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

while they have a very good reputation, i would think you could get the results you seek (without the lingerfelter name of course) with some serious performance mods to your current car, and still have some serious $$$ left over in my opinion. i would check out some of your local performance shops before making the final decision. when it is all said and done, it will still be a modded C5 (not that there is anything wrong with that) and the money spent would enhance the value some, (for the right buyer), but you will never see a recovery of the money spent in it's entirety.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by srs244
while they have a very good reputation, i would think you could get the results you seek (without the lingerfelter name of course) with some serious performance mods to your current car, and still have some serious $$$ left over in my opinion. i would check out some of your local performance shops before making the final decision. when it is all said and done, it will still be a modded C5 (not that there is anything wrong with that) and the money spent would enhance the value some, (for the right buyer), but you will never see a recovery of the money spent in it's entirety.

Lingenfelter is a good name with a good rep, but my personal opinion is that they are too expensive. I went with a local tuner with a good rep and saved some money.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,432 Likes on 14,047 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Supercharge that baby and save a bunch of money in the process.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:26 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Boy are they expensive. Way expensive. Thier riding on thier name, while I have to say has had an excellent reputation, the reality is there are other vendors who do exactly what they do for a lot less. When done, you'll probably get a few hundred more in resale, but not anywhere near the thousands of extra you've spent today.

They want $14k for a TVS2300 Supercharger, which will only get you to approx 450rwhp. The TVS2300 only goes for $6k. Add another hood and paint for $2k. Install and tune $1.5k. You'll easily walk out of other shops for less than $10k. Imagine what else you could have done for $4k?

Thier 383 package is only 16k (assumed that's what you were looking at) and probably only 400rwhp at best. Way too much for that engine swap.

On the other hand, call up ECS and get 500rwhp all day on a stock, for less than half the cost. You'll also get a car that drives completely stock until you punch it, like I did.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Ultimate_Respect
Pro

Lingenfetler Corvette is like having a Saleen Mustang...

This means that the owner can say hey I have a Saleen or in this case a Lingenfetler Corvette. Like the Saleen Mustang the Lingenfetler Corvette is not an OEM options from GM. Saleen purchases the Mustang from ford and they are sent to the Saleen shop in Cali. There they do all the upgrades ect and then they send them out to the Saleen approved dealerships where they sell them for a higher price. This is great for the dealership and for Saleen, although on resale it sucks...

Saleen like Lingenfetler Corvette are not insured with these upgrades. For the Saleen it is a GT mustang and Lingenfetler Corvette has a C5 corvette. If you have a total loss on your car, don’t think you’re going to get a higher value because of the upgrade you just did.

With the Saleen it is getting better because it is an option that you buy the car with from the dealerships. Insurance companies may cover it a little different depending on who is your insurance company but the Lingenfetler Corvette will need an agreed value policy and will not be covered by your standard auto policy.

The question you asked will it increase the value? To a person who is looking for a Lingenfetler Corvette it would. Would it increase the value for 16k? No it would not, it may increase it maybe 4-5k depending on when you sold your car. At this point you took a 11k hit and wasted your money.. The dealership would not pay a dime more for the car and most likely offer a whole sale price for the car.. The only way to sell the car is to a private party.

Like many of these people here have said... You can get more HP and save a lot of money by not having a Lingenfetler Corvette. Although how cool would it be to have a Lingenfetler Corvette? When your spending this kind of money you better keep the car and enjoy it..
Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 AM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

Every time I see a Lingenfetler Corvette I love them, but I'm to "tight," to put that kind of money in my Corvette, knowing insurance won't cover it, or I won't get a decent return if I sell it, which I doubt I'd do. But they are nice.

Last edited by renegad44; 10-15-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 PM
C5RClone
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

There is no way you will get your money back on this, spend the money if you really want the product not for an investment.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the opinions folks.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:45 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

a local corvette specialty shop stopped doing business with them. too many issues.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Hey, if you go with it you'll be supporting the family car collection!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZDq...eature=related
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
NBMDVM
Pro

Sell yours and buy mine....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...lpe-coupe.html
Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 PM
MJinPA
Racer

My father just had his C6 done there. A basic Edelbrock S/C kit. He made the appt. months prior and they promised one week for the install. They had it for over 3 weeks. Even told him, some other cars were a higher priority. Poor customer service in my opinion. I wouldn't spend the money.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Jim in Mich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Lingenfelter Z06 for sale. Getting colder so I will lower the price to $28k
http://flint.craigslist.org/cto/2639582893.html

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Lingenfetler

Old 10-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by C5RClone
There is no way you will get your money back on this, spend the money if you really want the product not for an investment.
best said right there
these are toys, not investments - the payoff is the pleasure they bring you
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

My friend recently bought a '99 FRC that was already upgraded with a $16k Lingenfelter supercharger package (back in 2004). When he bought the car it had stock exhaust manifolds, stock clutch, and a very, very mild cam - if not a stock cam. Since then he installed headers, and I have installed a Monster clutch and larger camshaft.
The work Lingenfelter did was well done, but I am quite suprised that they would turn out a supercharged car with a stock clutch and exhaust manifolds. He is scheduled to dyno it next week so we can see how much power was left on the table with the small cam and stock manifolds.
Ultimately the choice for where to send YOUR car is up to you. You can't go wrong with Lingenfelter, but you could also get more value from another shop as long as you choose wisely. For $16k I could build a forged engine plus add a Procharger and upgraded fuel system, but I'm stubborn about doing things myself. Have fun with your decision.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Overpriced for 16k I would call A&A,ECS, Dallas Perfomance, Texas Speed, East Texas Muscle Cars, the list goes on and on and I bet with that coin you would be coming out with 800hp+ and those shops have great reps also. Do your homework lots of options your not just buying a intake.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Lingenfetler