Run flat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Run flat question

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I've always liked my OEM Goodyear run flats. I like their wide stance and appearance, and I've had two flats in six years, both times they were repairable.

Last night on the way back home, about 50 miles away, I had a blowout out the freeway, heard the wop-wop-wop coming from the rear right quarter, so I checked my air pressure, it registered normal, then a short time later, it felt like a chunk of tire actually broke off or something and I lost all air pressure. I slowed to 55 MPH and drove the rest of the way home.

Here's the deal: I'm 51, having knee problems and there is no way I want to switch over to non run flats and be on the side of the road kneeling on the ground messing around with patches, inflation kits and all of that other crap. I also don't like the idea of being stranded, waiting for AAA to show up. So, I'm going to be staying with run flats.

But I think I'm open to finally ditching the Goodyears and going with Michelin Pilot Sports or whatever. I haven't researched run flats in a long time. What is the latest and best option available going for them right now? Mfg and/or model info would be much appreciated.

...Eh, looks like there really aren't any new options since the last time I checked, so if Michelin A/S and PS2's are still the only game in town, please disregard my inquiry.

Last edited by JMc; 10-07-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Advanced Search!
Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 AM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on the Michelin A/S PS2 ZPs earlier in the year. They are light years better then the good years. Do miss the wide stance look of the Goodyears, though. Stayed with stock tire sizes (also replaced the wheels). To be perfectly honest, I wish I had gone with wider wheels and tires. If you want to stick wth runflats, as far as I know, they are only available in stock Corvette tire sizes. Am thinking of a supercharger by year's end. Guess will find out whether the stock tire sizes will be enough rubber on the road afterwords.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,438 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running runflats on the car. They provide a great level of safety and security that is hard to beat. I've heard the Michelin A/S PS2 ZPs are awesome tires. If I decide to go back to runflats, they will be tops on my list.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:37 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys. I've got a set of new Michelin PS run flats being installed today. I am going to MISS the look of the Goodyears, but I AM looking forward to seeing how much better the Michelins FEEL on the road. Again. VERY glad I had/have run flats. I don't ever want to be stuck on the side of the road with a flat again.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:01 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by JMc
Thanks guys. I've got a set of new Michelin PS run flats being installed today. I am going to MISS the look of the Goodyears, but I AM looking forward to seeing how much better the Michelins FEEL on the road. Again. VERY glad I had/have run flats. I don't ever want to be stuck on the side of the road with a flat again.
Been running non runflats for 5 years now Jeff. No issues and you will like them better.

Sounds like all that Elvis gyrating with "Mrs Jones" is taking its toll on your knees there buddy
Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Heh. I've had three flats in six years with two different sets of run flats. All three times, I've been glad I've been able to stay on the road, keep driving and drive the car in for repair. I'm looking forward to seeing and feeling the difference of the Michelins without losing the security of the run flat feature.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,068 Likes on 2,041 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
There is absolutely nothing wrong with running runflats on the car. They provide a great level of safety and security that is hard to beat. I've heard the Michelin A/S PS2 ZPs are awesome tires.
I like the GoodYear run flats too. I have also used Kumho run flats. I actually have a set of each. These are the two best looking tires, run flat or not, imo.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 PM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the Michelins too and I agree....they are above and beyond the Goodyears (or is that Badyears????)

Don't wait get some now!!!

Originally Posted by corvettepete
I put on the Michelin A/S PS2 ZPs earlier in the year. They are light years better then the good years. Do miss the wide stance look of the Goodyears, though. Stayed with stock tire sizes (also replaced the wheels). To be perfectly honest, I wish I had gone with wider wheels and tires. If you want to stick wth runflats, as far as I know, they are only available in stock Corvette tire sizes. Am thinking of a supercharger by year's end. Guess will find out whether the stock tire sizes will be enough rubber on the road afterwords.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have stayed with the Goodyear Runflats. They are the widest size tire there is, wider than ZO6 tires. I get 55,000 miles on fronts and 45,000 miles on rears, on my 3rd set.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:52 PM
BAMvette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by JMc
You'll like 'em just fine.
You made the right choice.
Be at peace, brotha!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:39 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Only difference in emergency ride is Goodyears are good for 200 miles @ 55 mph with no air
Michelins are good for 50 miles @ 55mph.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
I switched to the Michelin A/S PS2 ZP's last year and now could care less about what the GY RF's "looked like" From inside the car the Michelin's ride better, are quieter, and handling is great. Goodyear in my opinion missed the boat and the market by not producing a next generation runflat for the C5's. You won't miss that 15 year old tire technology Goodyear was offering.

Last edited by MAC5; 10-08-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MAC5
I switched to the Michelin A/S PS2 ZP's last year and now could care less about what the GY RF's "looked like" From inside the car the Michelin's ride better, are quieter, and handling is great. Goodyear in my opinion missed the boat and the market by not producing a next generation runflat for the C5's. You won't miss that 15 year old tire technology Goodyear was offering.
You're right. I got over the "looks" of the Goodyears after about thirty seconds of looking at the Michelins and the ride is as good as everyone says. ALL new tires always ride better, even new Goodyears, but I can tell a pretty marked difference. I wasn't about to pay more for another set of Goodyear EMT's.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I have stayed with the Goodyear Runflats. They are the widest size tire there is, wider than ZO6 tires. I get 55,000 miles on fronts and 45,000 miles on rears, on my 3rd set.
That's amazingly good. I only got 23,000 on mine, after a full alignment and paying close attention to tire pressure. Inside of the fronts were wearing down and a blowout from the back rear. I couldn't justify paying $1,900 for another set after just 23k.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Good luck with the Michelins, I switched to the Sport PS2 ZPs on my '01 5 years ago and thought they had it all over the Goodyears. The '03 that I just bought still has the Goodyears but it won't this spring--back to Michelin for me.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
Here's the deal: I'm 51, having knee problems and there is no way I want to switch over to non run flats and be on the side of the road kneeling on the ground messing around with patches, inflation kits and all of that other crap. I also don't like the idea of being stranded, waiting for AAA to show up. So, I'm going to be staying with run flats.

Man it sounded like I wrote that comment.......only diff is I am now 61 and have had three back surgeries.
I swapped the old GYs on my 99 within a few months of buying it to Michelin AS PS ZPs and never looked back. She drove like a new car in all the various weather conditions we get in Oregon. Changed out my first set just before driving to Bowling Green in 09........a bit early miles wise but I sure didn't want tire issues on a cross country tour.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flat question

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Thanks, guys. I've only had the Michelins for a short while, but I REALLY like the improved comfort. I loved the way the Goodyears looked, but I vastly prefer how the P/S feel. They also look good. So, I guess I'm another satisfied convert. A couple of Orthovisc injections in my knee and that's feeling better too. Two more injections to go and then I'll be ready to run a marathon.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by JMc

i'm 67, had 2 back surgeries since june 09 and i couldn't agree more. i'm no longer racing down drag tracks, auto crossing on weekends, making hill climbs, etc (so you get the picture). i love the hell out of my C3 and my C5 and have owned at least one corvette at all times since i was in my mid 20's. i could pull the macho crap and jump out of the car to change a tire, or to jack it up and use the tire repair kit, etc. most of the time, i choose not to be that dirty when i'm not actually working on my cars, and i no longer have the patience to sit on the side of the road and wait for AAA (which, by the way, i do have), unless i'm in the mood just to relax. the problem is i live in the tropics, and except for just a couple of months, sitting by the side of the road requires running the a/c or melting, or running the a/c, because you need the car buttoned up so as not to drown in the torrential downpour, lol. i may change my mind when it becomes time to replace my current RF tires. i am honest enough to admit i might consider non RF if the mood strikes me, but generally, i'll trade the slightly less than perfect ride for the security of keeping on down the road.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I know I am in the minority, but I love my Goodyear runflats...no noise, no problems, except when cold (40's early Spring) as long as they heat up or the ambient temp is above 60 they are fine.

Quick Reply: Run flat question