Sponsored by:

F45 shock question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 AM
corvettedaddy11
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F45 shock question

Can the F45 suspension option be turned off , I need new shocks and Im not gonna put the F45 shocks back on...!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 AM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you can i purchased simulators for about 200 which is a plug and play. if you just change the shocks without tricking the system your speed will be limited to 80mph
Old 09-29-2011, 05:28 AM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do a search

Some excellent write-ups on this.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by rootpooty
yes you can i purchased simulators for about 200 which is a plug and play. if you just change the shocks without tricking the system your speed will be limited to 80mph
I got the simulators when I switched to Pfadt coil overs and haven't had any problems.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Here was some info posted about installing resistors to fool the system. Note - I have not done this - just passing on what was posted here.

Go to Radio Shack and get the following:

Wire wound Resistors
271-132
10 watt 10 ohm
(The resistor is a 2 inch X 1/4 inch ceramic block with a solid silver wire on each end. Two in a pack so buy two packs.)

Underneath the car at each shock location there is a black wire running from the shock to a blue connector. The wire does not unhook at the shock but if you trace the wire you will find the connector. Disconnect the blue connector from its mate and remove the shock.

Take a pair of wire cutters and cut the wire as close to the shock as possible. You will be left with the cut wire on one end and the blue connector at the other. Remove about three inches from the black insulation to expose the two wires (black & white) that it conceals. Strip both of them back about an inch.

Insert the resistor into a rubber hose (w/the wires protruding from each end) to protect it; solder the resistor between the two bare wires (black & white) that originally went to the factory shock to complete the circuit. I used some water proof silicone to seal the solder and wrapped everything in electrical tape. Reconnect the blue connector. Tuck the package out of the way and secure with zip ties. This will fool the computer into thinking the F45 Shocks are still there (as the computer looks for its resistance). Install the replacement shock.

Repeat for all four corners and you will be good to go.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
corvettedaddy11
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, thanks guy's......!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Here was some info posted about installing resistors to fool the system. Note - I have not done this - just passing on what was posted here.

Go to Radio Shack and get the following:

Wire wound Resistors
271-132
10 watt 10 ohm
(The resistor is a 2 inch X 1/4 inch ceramic block with a solid silver wire on each end. Two in a pack so buy two packs.)

Underneath the car at each shock location there is a black wire running from the shock to a blue connector. The wire does not unhook at the shock but if you trace the wire you will find the connector. Disconnect the blue connector from its mate and remove the shock.

Take a pair of wire cutters and cut the wire as close to the shock as possible. You will be left with the cut wire on one end and the blue connector at the other. Remove about three inches from the black insulation to expose the two wires (black & white) that it conceals. Strip both of them back about an inch.

Insert the resistor into a rubber hose (w/the wires protruding from each end) to protect it; solder the resistor between the two bare wires (black & white) that originally went to the factory shock to complete the circuit. I used some water proof silicone to seal the solder and wrapped everything in electrical tape. Reconnect the blue connector. Tuck the package out of the way and secure with zip ties. This will fool the computer into thinking the F45 Shocks are still there (as the computer looks for its resistance). Install the replacement shock.

Repeat for all four corners and you will be good to go.
That is what I did on my 99 and zero issues

Get notified of new replies

To F45 shock question

Quick Reply: F45 shock question