Sponsored by:

Need some Advice/Help....Coilover damage..Pic Heavy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some Advice/Help....Coilover damage..Pic Heavy

last friday on my way to meet up with some friends my right front coilover came apart. i didnt know it at the moment. all i heard was a loud bang and my car tilted to its side making a loud scrapping noise. i pull over to investigate and i can see what my problem was. after waiting for 3 hours and 2 different tow trucks (1st guy couldnt roll it on the bed cause it was way too low and scuffed the nose a bit) i was able to get her home and pull of the wheel. this is what i found

you can see it pulled some of the threads off the top mount

This cant be good...

Bad scuff to the shock and coil

Looks like a piece Broke off. Doesnt have a nice clean cut on the top

I was able to put everything back together after cleaning up the threads a bit

now im not able to change the settings. it wont turn at all. i was able to turn it before i put it back together

so heres where i need your advice. about a month ago i took my car in to a local shop that sets up suspensions. i had them adjust the ride height, corner weight and alignment. everything was great till this happen. i strongly believe they adjusted the height wrong by possibly twisting the body which was unscrewing it from the top. i know i screwed them on all the way before installing them cause this happened to a local guy and i didnt want to go through the same chit
Originally Posted by doje
Great deal. I have these same coilovers and they are awesome. Just make sure the shop that installs them knows how to adjust the height properly. The shop that installed mine twisted the body to adjust length. This resulted in the shock being half unscrewed and the shock came apart on the road. I could have been seriously hurt or worse. By some miracle, it gave way as I was coming to a stop at a stoplight.
so how can i convince the shop they ****ed up and i want them to pay for the damage and possibly refund me some $ for the corner weighing? i talked to them right after it happened but he couldnt tell me much unless he took a look at it. he thought the A-arm might have broken

do you guys think this is rebuildable or is the coilover done?

thoughts/opinions?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

That is awful...looks like you figured it out...not completely seated. Only way that can be fixed is new parts....if you are lucky maybe Anthony from LG will cut you a deal..they are stand up guys...best of luck...I have the same COs.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 PM
andy46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, it sure sure looks like it was wound out when adjusting, I would look at the others very closely to see if they are showing anything.
The suspension shop isn't going to accept any responsibility for it, if it was you that assembled/installed them though, going to be hard to prove its from adjustments they made.
For your own safety replace it with new parts.
Good luck!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would see if LG would replace the complete coil over to include the upper mounts.
I would allso value their opinion of cause of failure.

I'd take the other three off & see where the settings are set at in regards to number of threads. That would tell you pretty much if the other three are about to have a failure due to insuffecient threads into each part.
I would demand a complete refund from the allignment shop.

As stated before, I'd be leaning heavily towards what LG's
opinion of the cause of failure.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bumble-z
I would see if LG would replace the complete coil over to include the upper mounts.
I would allso value their opinion of cause of failure.

I'd take the other three off & see where the settings are set at in regards to number of threads. That would tell you pretty much if the other three are about to have a failure due to insuffecient threads into each part.
I would demand a complete refund from the allignment shop.

As stated before, I'd be leaning heavily towards what LG's
opinion of the cause of failure.
Check those other coilovers now. If the adjustments are screwed up on those as well it will help your case with the shop...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Sorry about your issue !

When I installed mine I noticed that when trying to turn the shock down into the lower cup (Trying to lower shock height).... the upper mount threaded part would turn also. When turning the shock down into the lower cup its actually loosening the top mount threads! Eventually to my surprise the top mount came apart from the top mount. Luckily It was in my garage on jack stands.

I wonder if when you lowered the car, your top mount was only holding on by a couple of threads ? Only a matter of time before the damage would occur if the top mount was only holding on by a thread or two.

Just a thought...

Toque
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Sorry about your issue !

When I installed mine I noticed that when trying to turn the shock down into the lower cup (Trying to lower shock height).... the upper mount threaded part would turn also. When turning the shock down into the lower cup its actually loosening the top mount threads! Eventually to my surprise the top mount came apart from the top mount. Luckily It was in my garage on jack stands.

I wonder if when you lowered the car, your top mount was only holding on by a couple of threads ? Only a matter of time before the damage would occur if the top mount was only holding on by a thread or two.

Just a thought...

Toque
Most likely scenario
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would very much like to see those coil overs and see exactly what failed if we can figure that out from getting the parts back.

Give myself, Bobby, Louis, or Lou himself a call here at the shop and we will be more than happy to help get you back on the road and apologize for any set backs that might have came from the shop installing them.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
Check those other coilovers now. If the adjustments are screwed up on those as well it will help your case with the shop...
Old 09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
I would very much like to see those coil overs and see exactly what failed if we can figure that out from getting the parts back.

Give myself, Bobby, Louis, or Lou himself a call here at the shop and we will be more than happy to help get you back on the road and apologize for any set backs that might have came from the shop installing them.
there you go...like I said, these are stand up guys...it will work out in the end
Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say I am impressed when I see a vendor step up to the plate like this.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:26 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

The corvette community is lucky to have some solid vendors like this one... Responses like these have a lot of influence on who I purchase upgrades from.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it's time for me to buy Coil Overs, I will be calling LG Motorsports. I can see they know how to take care of their customers....
Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replys guys. sorry i didnt come in earlier. just got back from a much needed vacation in VEGAS!

Anthony thanks! i will be giving you a call tomorrow!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by mickey_7106
Thanks for the replys guys. sorry i didnt come in earlier. just got back from a much needed vacation in VEGAS!

Anthony thanks! i will be giving you a call tomorrow!

Vegas is always fun!

Give me or Bobby a ring anytime.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:50 AM
TNTC5
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Broken GT2 LG Coil over

2 wks ago i was watching this thread and double check my installed and made sure the front top mount thread it all the way. i also make sure to lock the base when i adjust the spring the body of the shock will not move. Tonight came home from work went over a bump on the Hwy. and heard something snap off went underneath the car. The right front tire was rubbing the front fender, same thing happen to the picture on this thread. I have alot of pictures but i still don't know how to post. The different between mine and his my snapped off at the bottom of the thread also i double check mine. I think that the weak spot of the coil over, because it hollow thread to allow the adjusting rod to go inside. I will bring this up with Lou at LG, but in my opinion that is the weak spot of the coil over. I will send pictures to email if somebody can help me post the pictures to everyone to see what i am talking about. Thanks

ps. I don't think those threads will hold up if the the coil over bottom out. Honestly, the pictures above he might bottom out a few times and finally pulled the thread out clean.

Last edited by TNTC5; 10-08-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:22 PM
TNTC5
Pro

Anyone have this same problem please chime in

Get notified of new replies

To Need some Advice/Help....Coilover damage..Pic Heavy

Old 10-08-2011, 07:44 PM
SilentFright
Drifting

Originally Posted by TNTC5
2 wks ago i was watching this thread and double check my installed and made sure the front top mount thread it all the way. i also make sure to lock the base when i adjust the spring the body of the shock will not move. Tonight came home from work went over a bump on the Hwy. and heard something snap off went underneath the car. The right front tire was rubbing the front fender, same thing happen to the picture on this thread. I have alot of pictures but i still don't know how to post. The different between mine and his my snapped off at the bottom of the thread also i double check mine. I think that the weak spot of the coil over, because it hollow thread to allow the adjusting rod to go inside. I will bring this up with Lou at LG, but in my opinion that is the weak spot of the coil over. I will send pictures to email if somebody can help me post the pictures to everyone to see what i am talking about. Thanks

ps. I don't think those threads will hold up if the the coil over bottom out. Honestly, the pictures above he might bottom out a few times and finally pulled the thread out clean.
Go to Photobucket.com and create a free account, then upload your pictures and post them here or in a new thread using the IMG code.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 AM
TNTC5
Pro

snapped at the bottom of the thread and the complete threads still in the top mount. Thanks SilentFright

Last edited by TNTC5; 10-10-2011 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hi Guys,

That was an early design and we thought we had them all replaced.

They are fully guaranteed and we will replace them with a pair of front (re-designed) shocks.

Get with Anthony and he will send you a pair of new fronts and a call tag to get the originals back from you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lou Gigliotti

LGM

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 10-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Need some Advice/Help....Coilover damage..Pic Heavy