'97-'00 owners step on in...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default '97-'00 owners step on in...

Why are the '97-'00 cars being dumped on around here lately? It seems that whenever someone inquires about whether or not they should buy one, people always say "stay away from the early C5's, too many problems, blahblahblah." My '98 has been pretty much flawless over the last 6 years I've owned it. If the EBCM goes out, then I'll get another one. Not that big of deal. Last time I checked the '01-'04's had the same column lock, rocking seat, leaky rear end problems as the earlier cars. Stand tall and stay strong early C5 owners!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:19 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

look at the c5 high mileage thread. all of the top mileage cars are 98 and 99 with 300k+. there is nothing wrong with them. id rather have a 99 than an 01 which would put me at risk for high oil consumption.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago
If the EBCM goes out, then I'll get another one. Not that big of deal.
Where are you going to get one?

If one can get an '01 up with the updates for a small price premium over a '97-04, why wouldn't he?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Chicago
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket
Where are you going to get one?

If one can get an '01 up with the updates for a small price premium over a '97-04, why wouldn't he?
I'll scour the junkyards of America until I dig one up. Or just unplug it and go without ABS and TC. One can buy whatever car he/she wants, but the early model "plague" is just downright ignorant.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had 2 minor problems ...

* reverse lights inop ... transmission switch replaced.

* fan blower switch inop ... blower motor controller bad.

recently passed registration renewal smog test with no problem.

i've had none of the other common C5 problems.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll scour the junkyards of America until I dig one up. Or just unplug it and go without ABS and TC. One can buy whatever car he/she wants, but the early model "plague" is just downright ignorant.
This post needs to be saved for the ages LOL. Saying it is "downright ignorant" to avoid a certain car but feels perfectly fine driving without ABS and TC. Epic logic.

-Alex
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
carhodge
Instructor

I have a 98 63k,I would like to know how many 97-00 hi milers,have never had abs troubles.I love mine and have only had tps go bad,at 12yrs.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Chicago
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
This post needs to be saved for the ages LOL. Saying it is "downright ignorant" to avoid a certain car but feels perfectly fine driving without ABS and TC. Epic logic.

-Alex
Not a big deal to live without ABS and TC. Cars for decades didn't have either one. Like I said, I'd search junkyards nationwide to find one.

Last edited by Chicago; 09-20-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Not a big deal to live without ABS and TC. Cars for decades didn't have either one.
I liked your unedited response better.

I guess reading comprehension skills are something you will never ever grasp.
I guess you went back to edit the post after re reading your own post. Anyway, that's your choice. I have nothing against Corvettes of any year actually. Enjoy

-Alex
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM
robertlthomson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have owned our 99 for almost 5 trouble free years now. It just turned over 50,000 miles. We take care of it, keep it maintained, don't beat it and really enjoy it. I still get asked from time to time if it is a new one. I feel it will continue to last and be reliable for many years to come.
Maybe some early C5's are in the hands of those who do not respect such a vehicle and beat them or mod them so much reliability is compromised.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

my 98 has 51k on the clock, i have owned it for 6 years totally trouble free. when i bought the car it came with a very clean carfax except for the column issue which was fixed......
Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Tastee Twirl
LIFE IS SHORT HAVE FUN
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I've had no complants of my car. But most buy regardless of problems cause they like the car and is within price range.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Chicago
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
I liked your unedited response better.

I guess you went back to edit the post after re reading your own post. Anyway, that's your choice. I have nothing against Corvettes of any year actually. Enjoy

-Alex
caught me in an edit. R.I.F.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

caught me in an edit. R.I.F.
LOL, it's all good try not to take this forum thing to seriously.

Personally I'd wet my pants with the thought of driving without the EBCM. How those Viper guys drive without TC and ABS is beyond me. I have an 01 which is prone to burning oil. They all have issues. The 03-04s have very well documented fuel system issues. Potentially MUCH more dangerous than not having an EBCM. So it's pretty much a toss up LOL.

-Alex
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are the '97-'00 cars being dumped on around here lately? It seems that whenever someone inquires about whether or not they should buy one, people always say "stay away from the early C5's, too many problems, blahblahblah." My '98 has been pretty much flawless over the last 6 years I've owned it. If the EBCM goes out, then I'll get another one. Not that big of deal. Last time I checked the '01-'04's had the same column lock, rocking seat, leaky rear end problems as the earlier cars. Stand tall and stay strong early C5 owners!
My current C5 is an 01; my previous C5 was an 00. Both are great cars. I don't think anyone would argue the point that ANY C5 assuming it was well taken care of would probably bring many miles of enjoyment to a new owner. That being said, there are several advantages to buying a later model C5. Here are some of them:

Comes with LS6 Intake
Revised LS1 block design (same block as the LS6)
2nd generation active handling
Competitive driving mode can be engaged while moving
The EBCM can be repaired and warrantied for $50 - $200 vs well over $800 IF you can find the part on the earlier models
Better weather stripping design
Larger MAF
Improved cam
LS6 Clutch in base cars
More durable transmission internals (blocking rings made of carbon instead of paper)
Stronger driveshaft

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

I don't see the 97-00 cars get "dumped on" at least not by the more knowledgeable members. The advice given in the many "should I buy this C5" threads that come up generally depend much more on the condition of that specific car than what year it is...

Given the choice between an early and late model C5 that are in identical condition at similar prices it's a no brainer, you go with the newer one. Would anyone actually buy the unimproved version of a product that did not have the benefit of refinements made after four model years of real world production testing when they could get the improved version for the same price?

I don't think anyone who knows what they are talking about would say that the early C5's are bad cars or (dump on) them. But there WERE improvements made to later models.

Whatever year you have... SMILE! You're driving a Corvette!
Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My 97 is my first Corvette. I am all but positive it will be my last Corvette too...not because I don't like other ones, but because age and budget and circumstances make that very unlikely...Powerball being the exception...

So I drive this one regardless of whether it's not everyones favorite year or it's technologically substandard in some way. It is my Corvette and it makes me smile everytime I start it up and go for a drive with my wife by my side. I don't beat the crap out of it, but for the occasional kick to get it up to speed on the interstate, I have no interest in mods which will get me more HP or economy either, I want it to be reliable and comfortable, and snazzy...which is sure is

Bob
The following users liked this post:
SaxyVette (01-22-2017)
Old 09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I get a kick out of reading the "should I buy it" threads that seem to come up here all the time. Don't buy older than 01, Don't buy if it has any damage history, Don't buy anything over 100K miles Yada Yada. Good thing they made a quarter million of these cause the choices sure seem to whittle down.

I can understand wanting to buy the latest in the series. Same thing with C4s. Most agree they improved significantly towards the end. Difference I see with the C5 is they all look the same to me.

BTW, the EBCM issue isn't a huge concern for me. Like the OP I can drive without it. At 59 yo, I have driven lots of high powered cars without. I would just have to find a way to get the dang light out!!

Get notified of new replies

To '97-'00 owners step on in...

Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
jsbzoh6
Racer

I agree that if you're shopping for something, the 01+ is what you should look for if finances allow. That's coming from my recent shopping experience.

That being said, I picked up my '00 with the exact options and colors I wanted, extremely babied and well maintained, and it was 25 miles from my house..
Old 09-20-2011, 04:57 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

I've got a "double-00" C5, replaced the whole rear end, (40k miles?), under warranty, whew! but that's it, the only thing original on the motor is it's stock bottom, everything else has been modified, with no problems. It just turned 80k miles.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

my 97 has 80k on it -- zero problems that are exclusive to early models. Only problems I've had are inherent to all C5's (column lock, sliding seat) or mileage (clutch slave)......or to mods that shorten the life of parts like valve springs etc.

Quick Reply: '97-'00 owners step on in...