Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can The mechanical Guru's explain what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM
blkvette98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can The mechanical Guru's explain what happened?

Hey,guys had somthing very unusual happen today that has left me worried. I have a 98 a4. Car was in the garage and the wife and I decided to go out for a coffee.
Started it up and waited 20 seconds or so before getting ready to back out of the garage.
Put my foot on the brake and hit the button to go into reverse and the car revved up some CRAZY amount. I'm suprised the engine or tranny didn't blow. I believe the car never got fully into reverse and I quickly put it back into park while shutting the ignition. This whole sequence happened in 2 or 3 seconds or so.
Waited a few minutes and started it up again and everything seemed OK. Put the wife in the drivers seat with her hand on the ignition just in case and checked under the hood and everything looked fine.
Went for a good long drive and checked the digital readout and all functions looked normal.
Didn't check for any codes ( not sure how to do that), got on it a couple of times and everything seems as usual.
Do you think I did any damage or somthing that might show up long term. The car has 17K on it, its used but never abused.
Car was set up about 3 yrs ago at C.O.W., Vara ram, 3:42s, Long tubes, 2500 stall, and a tune and has peformed absolutely flawless. Was amazed at the difference in performance after Chucks work. We have the Corvette Center in Newington thats suppose to be a good house and they're close by. Maybe have them check it out?
The only other thing is I had some 2X12's and a 2x4 laying flat under the car but they have been there for months and have never caused a problem. Was going to build some ramps and never got around to it.

Sorry to get so long winded but this car is my pride and joy and at my age the only one I'll probably ever own. You comments are most appreciated.'
THANKS!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

First thing I would do is wait longer than 20 secs before putting it in gear. That isn't good for the transmission after sitting and just starting it up and going into gear, I would let it warm up a couple of mins at the least..
Just my opinion.
Mr.Bill
Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

You sure you didn't accidentally side step the gas while appling brake to put into gear? Link above shows how to check codes and what they mean
Old 09-18-2011, 12:40 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Doesn't sound like you did any damage,they do have rev limiters on them.
I have no idea why it revved like that.Like the poster above,are you sure you didn't have the edge of your foot on it?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree maybe you accidentally had a portion of your boot/shoe on the throttle. No big deal you didn't hurt anything.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
tremor1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I agree maybe you accidentally had a portion of your boot/shoe on the throttle. No big deal you didn't hurt anything.
A while back I couldn't figure out why my car revved up under hard braking. My foot was hitting the go pedal under braking.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Sounds like you hit the gas to me.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by flynbya2
Doesn't sound like you did any damage,they do have rev limiters on them.
I have no idea why it revved like that.Like the poster above,are you sure you didn't have the edge of your foot on it?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
First thing I would do is wait longer than 20 secs before putting it in gear. That isn't good for the transmission after sitting and just starting it up and going into gear, I would let it warm up a couple of mins at the least..
Just my opinion.
Mr.Bill
If I felt like I had to wait two minutes to put my car in gear, I'd sell it and buy one that didn't require that. Anyway, putting the car in gear too quickly didn't cause the rev. As stated, I'd check my shoe width. Maybe wider than you normally wear?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 PM
blkvette98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Maybe thats what I did, hit the gas pedal along with the brake. Thought I was a bit more careful than that. Might be old age setting in. Car seems to be fine. Hopefully the rev limiter did its job and the tranny's OK. Thanks again for all the replys!

Get notified of new replies

To Can The mechanical Guru's explain what happened?

Quick Reply: Can The mechanical Guru's explain what happened?