Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-11-2015, 01:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Convertible top hatch strut installation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
tonio76
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm confused about this whole thread...is this procedure for replacing the trunk lid struts? OP uses both terms "vert top hatch" and trunk, are these one and the same? At first I was thinking "vert top hatch" was referring to the tonneau cover...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Super good - No pics

This procedure is very much the same for the HOOD Struts too!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks,Matt
Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Ultimate ride
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The top hatch is just what it says. It is the hatch you have to lift up to get to the canvas top when putting it up or when taking it down (the tonneau cover). The top is stored under this hatch. The trunk lid is what you have to lift up to place items inside the large storage area, such as suite cases. The thread is about replacing the struts that hold up the top hatch (tonneau cover), not the trunk lid.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
tonio76
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultimate ride
The top hatch is just what it says. It is the hatch you have to lift up to get to the canvas top when putting it up or when taking it down (the tonneau cover). The top is stored under this hatch. The trunk lid is what you have to lift up to place items inside the large storage area, such as suite cases. The thread is about replacing the struts that hold up the top hatch (tonneau cover), not the trunk lid.
Ok..thanks for the clarification...I have it now, at first I could not see the tonneau cover struts, I wasn't looking in the right place.

Thanks for the write-up!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 PM
MAX1VET
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hzz
I am getting ready to do this job on my 2003

One question....on the sides of the trunk there are black plastic covers that cover the struts...do they just pull straight off or is there any trick to removing them?

Just want to be sure before I break anything.
I know it's been more than two years but did you ever find out how to remove the covers? I've had lots of help here but nobody seems to know what I am talking about with the covers.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by MAX1VET
I know it's been more than two years but did you ever find out how to remove the covers? I've had lots of help here but nobody seems to know what I am talking about with the covers.
Maybe it would help if you post pictures of what you have.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Ron222
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Trunk Strut Install

MAX1...Hope this helps...Ya just pry them off with a screwdriver, see step #2

Best Way to Change the Struts

1. Open the trunk. Look under the sides and you will see the struts.
2. Pry off both the spring clips with a screwdriver.
3. Close the trunk.
4. Open the top hatch and prop it up in the fully raised position. The strut is now in the fully extended position and not under pressure.
5. Reach down and pull the strut off the ball joints.
6. Close the top hatch.
7. Open the trunk and snap the new strut on the aftermost ball joint, making sure that the rod end is positioned toward the front of the car.
8. Close the trunk.
9. Open the top hatch and snap the rod end on the forward ball joint. The hatch will now stand up by itself.
10. Repeat for the other side.

Doesn’t take long at all.

2004 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 10-03-2014, 10:17 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

He's done. Posted in C5 tech.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
FSJim
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Can anyone provide the exact model number for the ebay strut set listed above? When you click on the link it takes you to a page of struts.. Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 01:17 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

<<<@!1!@>>>

I entered Corvette tonneau cover struts into search for you, please don't make me order them for you, I'm running a little low on cash this month:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-2-StrongArm-4065-Tonneau-Convertible-Cover-Lift-Supports-Struts-Shocks-/331049375515?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CModel%3ACorvette&hash=item4d1414971b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 65GGvert; 10-22-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:21 PM
FSJim
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

you spoil me.. thanks
Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FSJim
you spoil me.. thanks
If you haven't done them before and run into any questions, send me a pm or ask here. It's not difficult to do.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:48 AM
tbar1963
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Ron222
Did mine a few months back on my '04 vert, used the same procedure as outlilned above and didn't have a problem. Ordered the struts from this link ( http://stores.ebay.com/Lift-Supports...id=p4340.l2563 ). I ordered the ones manufactured by STABILUS (when you remove yours you'll notice STABILUS is the manufacturer that supplied them to GM (at least on my '04, their name is right on the strut) the only difference between the two is that the stabilus has a black cylinder and black plunger, same as OEM, the Strong Arm ones have a black cylinder and a chrome plunger. I received my order in a few days...no problems at all....and the best part is they have a
Lifetime Warranty and I got 2 for $25.00.
They fit perfectly. Hope this helps
This post is over 3 years old now, but just ordered a set from your link..still works..Thanks...
Old 10-06-2015, 03:52 PM
123Gone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered two on Amazon. Two for $16.20 + free shipping.

Amazon.com: Sixity Auto Lift Supports for GM 10275941 Struts Gas Shocks Props Arms: Automotive Amazon.com: Sixity Auto Lift Supports for GM 10275941 Struts Gas Shocks Props Arms: Automotive
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM
whippit
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default So simple now

Originally Posted by Ron222
MAX1...Hope this helps...Ya just pry them off with a screwdriver, see step #2

Best Way to Change the Struts

1. Open the trunk. Look under the sides and you will see the struts.
2. Pry off both the spring clips with a screwdriver.
3. Close the trunk.
4. Open the top hatch and prop it up in the fully raised position. The strut is now in the fully extended position and not under pressure.
5. Reach down and pull the strut off the ball joints.
6. Close the top hatch.
7. Open the trunk and snap the new strut on the aftermost ball joint, making sure that the rod end is positioned toward the front of the car.
8. Close the trunk.
9. Open the top hatch and snap the rod end on the forward ball joint. The hatch will now stand up by itself.
10. Repeat for the other side.

Doesn’t take long at all.

2004 Chevrolet Corvette
I've had weak struts for well over a year and tried to figure out how to replace them by eyeballing the setup. Nevertheless, I could NOT figure out how to get to these things. Great post and no pictures are needed. I did realize it's much easier to get to them by climbing in the trunk.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:49 PM
whippit
Intermediate

I think I know what you're referring to. Those black plastic covers are simply for 'cosmetic' purposes and each one has two click-type tabs that press into the vehicle trunk support. Gently pull on either the front or the back and pull it away from the trunk support. They go back the same way and simply clip in.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:32 PM
jd911
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Gone
I ordered these from Amazon also. I like Amazon's customer service when there is any problem. I received them today.

The two struts I received were jammed solid and would not move. The shafts would also not rotate. They were from some company named Sixity Auto but with the GM part number.

I finally got them broke loose, by laying my full 240 pounds on top of them, but when I tried to install the first one, The clip on the trunk end was too small on the new struts. On the original strut the clip on the trunk or cylinder (non-rod) end is considerably bigger that the end that goes to the tonneau cover. The ones I received had the same size clips and holes on both ends.

Sadly they'll have to go back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The company (Sixity Auto) mailed me the correct fitting for the cylinder end (10 mm). The ends just screw on or off on the new cylinders, not on the originals.

With the new ends installed they went on without a hitch. They are about 5/16" shorter, when fully extended, but seemed to hold open the cover far enough anyway.

Jim
Attached Images  

Last edited by jd911; 10-17-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top hatch strut installation.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:13 PM
RHWjr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HZZ, the struts on my 2002 were not under the plastic covers (although I was told they were). You have to use a flashlight and be a bit of a contortionist, but you will see them.

I'm not mechanically inclined and I was done in less than 15 minutes.

I bought mine on Amazon.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:39 PM
whippit
Intermediate

Default I wish I had seen your post before I drilled mine

Originally Posted by jd911
I ordered these from Amazon also. I like Amazon's customer service when there is any problem. I received them today.

The two struts I received were jammed solid and would not move. The shafts would also not rotate. They were from some company named Sixity Auto but with the GM part number.

I finally got them broke loose, by laying my full 240 pounds on top of them, but when I tried to install the first one, The clip on the trunk end was too small on the new struts. On the original strut the clip on the trunk or cylinder (non-rod) end is considerably bigger that the end that goes to the tonneau cover. The ones I received had the same size clips and holes on both ends.

Sadly they'll have to go back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The company (Sixity Auto) mailed me the correct fitting for the cylinder end (10 mm). The ends just screw on or off on the new cylinders, not on the originals.

With the new ends installed they went on without a hitch. They are about 5/16" shorter, when fully extended, but seemed to hold open the cover far enough anyway.

Jim
I ordered a set from Sixity Auto (via Amazon) earlier this month and originally received the wrong ones...the struts for the trunk lid. I returned those and a few days later received the correct ones. However, as you've pointed out, the new ones have smaller holes than the original GM struts. I was so disgusted with this company and the hassle of what should have been a simple purchase that I grabbed my drill and enlarged the holes so they would fit. I just finished writing a nasty note to them about their claim that the struts are "manufactured to exacting OEM specifications." The replacements are installed now and working great. I have to admit, they seem stronger than the originals. That cover really springs up now!
Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 PM
jd911
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by whippit
I ordered a set from Sixity Auto (via Amazon) earlier this month and originally received the wrong ones...the struts for the trunk lid. I returned those and a few days later received the correct ones. However, as you've pointed out, the new ones have smaller holes than the original GM struts. I was so disgusted with this company and the hassle of what should have been a simple purchase that I grabbed my drill and enlarged the holes so they would fit. I just finished writing a nasty note to them about their claim that the struts are "manufactured to exacting OEM specifications." The replacements are installed now and working great. I have to admit, they seem stronger than the originals. That cover really springs up now!
I ended up getting a full refund from Sixity, I got to keep both struts and they shipped me the correct ends.

Jim

Quick Reply: Convertible top hatch strut installation.