Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who have had the CLB recall performed please step in...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those who have had the CLB recall performed please step in...

So I call Paradise Chevrolet today and my car is done...but after pulling it out of the bay the column locks...

So I had argued with the dealer before because their records show the column bypass recall to have been performed, but my column still locked when the vehicle was off.

I was under the understanding the recall was to remove the entire column lock mechanism, which would mean if my column could still lock the recall was not performed correct?

I know there were two recalls since I received both in the mail from the Dealer on my 03 Z.

Can anyone else comment on whether their column still locks when turned off after the bypass recall has been performed?

I have a very sneaky suspicion that this is about to get VERY ugly...

Will the column lock bypass mods work after a failure has occurred?

Thanks all,
Old 09-14-2011, 03:14 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 989 Likes on 626 Posts

heres some light reading for you, this should answer your question

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ky-please.html
Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Which of the 4 recalls has been performed? 4006C should work.

I'm afraid that GM only perfomed the recalls to make sure they were safe from litigation. The whole thing was a disaster.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Let me see if I have this right?

You've been on the CF for 5 years and after all the warnings you never installed a CLB?

And now you're mad at the dealer?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Let me see if I have this right?

You've been on the CF for 5 years and after all the warnings you never installed a CLB?

And now you're mad at the dealer?
It has been a lot longer than 5 years, and I'm not mad at the dealer, I'm mad at the fact that the recall didn't fix the problem.

Why on Earth would I install a CLB when I was told 1 month after buying my convertible last year that the GM recall had already been performed on the vehicle?

That was the very first thing I checked with the dealer on after I bought the car.

I remember from the recall notice I received from GM on my Z that after the recall it would be impossible for the column lock to ever fail again. I had no reason to do further research on it. I do now.

Last edited by Z06Electron; 09-14-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
You clearly do not understand the reason for the NHTSA forced GM Column Lock Recall.

The reason for the recall was NOT because the column locks. It is required to by a federal law on all manual transmission cars. That law has been around since the 1970's at least.

The reason for the recall is because that under certain conditions it is possible to drive the car with the column locked.

There was a variation of the GM column Lock service that came out in Jan 2006 after GM secured a variance from that federal law for the C5 that replaced the lock plate with a smaller diameter lock plate (on manual trans cars) that keeps the column from physically locking but the recall still requires the fuel shutoff to be set to 2 mph. That's the part that keeps you from driving the car with the column locked.

You will likely haver to pay the dealer to do variation 04006C which replaces the lock ring because as of March 2008, GM has disowned any responsibility to service column lock problems on vehicles that that have already serviced once under the NHTSA recall.
How is this misunderstanding? I'm pretty sure this is exactly what I described, only I couldn't remember from memory five years ago that this was replaced instead of removing it. Either way if this was performed then the column shouldn't lock at all.

I'm not concerned about the driving part, although I'm sure GM was, the other modification to the lock ring was the one I was referring too in the first post. Thank you for the info.

Last edited by Z06Electron; 09-14-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Which of the 4 recalls has been performed? 4006C should work.

I'm afraid that GM only perfomed the recalls to make sure they were safe from litigation. The whole thing was a disaster.
I'm still trying to figure that out. I was unaware there were 4 different recalls, I only knew about 2 from my Z06. Thank you guys for the info.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
It has been a lot longer than 5 years, and I'm not mad at the dealer, I'm mad at the fact that the recall didn't fix the problem.

Why on Earth would I install a CLB when I was told 1 month after buying my convertible last year that the GM recall had already been performed on the vehicle?

That was the very first thing I checked with the dealer on after I bought the car.

I remember from the recall notice I received from GM on my Z that after the recall it would be impossible for the column lock to ever fail again. I had no reason to do further research on it. I do now.
Guess how many times I've read this same story on this forum?

The overwhelming consensus has been that even if GM has performed the recalls Column lock, fuel shut off etc can occur and the only reliable solution has been an owner installed CLB.

Sorry for your woes but IMMHO you should have known better then to trust the dealer.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Tenacfan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8vette7 is the expert on this, suck it up take his advise and get over it...or you could argue with the dealer till your red in the face, barred from the dealership, disowned by all the other members here...then hope and pray you can slip in here unnoticed and find 8vette7's answer, hope you/your car hasn't been black balled by your dealer and you can find another dealer to perform the fix. Trust me it's easier to just go ahead and have it done.

How do I know of what I speak, I like others have been where you are and am a bit of a slow learner.

As I have said before...when it comes to CLB, 8vette7 is the master...
heck i would pour my Mt Dew in the radiator if he said it would make it run cooler!

But thats just my opinion, and I could be wrong.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There were at least 4 different varaiations of the Recall service that GM did because of the NHTSA recall which began in Jan. 2004. There were several Column Lock Services that were done before the NHTSA recall beginning as early as 1998.
Depending upon when the recall service was done to a manual trans car the column may have continued to lock with no key in the ignition. It was not until late 2005 that GM obtained the right to legally disable the locking mechanism on the manual trans C5's (C6's with manual trans are back under the existing federal law). Shortly after that (Jan. 2006) GM modified the recall procedure that was done on manual trans cars to include the replacement of the lock ring with a small diameter ring that physically prevents the column from locking. However, the BCM continues to operate the lock motor as though the column locks and unlocks. When this variation of the column lock service became legally possible, GM did NOT recall all the manual trans cars that they had already serviced under the NHTSA recall. Only those owners that came in and complained loudly enough or those that had never had the recall service performed got the new variation. Then in early 2007 GM sent a letter to all C5 owners that effective March 2008, they would NO LONGER SERVICE FREE OF CHARGE any car that came in with a column lock issue IF THE CAR HAD ALREADY BEEN SERVICED one or more times under the NHTSA recall.

The result is that there is no consistency as to whether the column will lock with no key in the ignition or not on manual trans C5's still out there in use.. Those that were fortunate enough to have the 04006C service done have columns that do not lock and those that were not so fortunate have columns that lock. Further you can have the 04006C variation performed to your car if the car has never had the NHTSA recall performed and that is done free of charge. But if your car has already been serviced under the NHTSA recall and you still want the 04006C variation done to the car, expect to pay for it out of your pocket.

Sounds like you have had more than one manual trans C5. Apparently on one you were fortunate enough to have the small diameter lock ring installed and on the other you are not as fortunate. Good luck with you problem and getting anything out of GM.
Thank you for clarifying. It looks like on my convertible (also manual) I will be dealing with the fix myself possibly. The dealer said they will call me back if they needed to charge me anything and I have not heard from them. The fact that my insurance company just paid them for $4000 in paint work and I am on a waiting list to buy a C7 from them, probably is coming into play, but we shall see how they handle it.

I'm just glad it broke at the dealer
Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Guess how many times I've read this same story on this forum?

The overwhelming consensus has been that even if GM has performed the recalls Column lock, fuel shut off etc can occur and the only reliable solution has been an owner installed CLB.

Sorry for your woes but IMMHO you should have known better then to trust the dealer.
Live and learn. I'm not sweating it, I'll get it sorted out. The fact that it was already at the dealer and I already had a rental car makes things a little easier.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tenacfan
8vette7 is the expert on this, suck it up take his advise and get over it...or you could argue with the dealer till your red in the face, barred from the dealership, disowned by all the other members here...then hope and pray you can slip in here unnoticed and find 8vette7's answer, hope you/your car hasn't been black balled by your dealer and you can find another dealer to perform the fix. Trust me it's easier to just go ahead and have it done.

How do I know of what I speak, I like others have been where you are and am a bit of a slow learner.

As I have said before...when it comes to CLB, 8vette7 is the master...
heck i would pour my Mt Dew in the radiator if he said it would make it run cooler!

But thats just my opinion, and I could be wrong.
I'm not going to argue, I'm going to be nice and calm. I learn getting older throwing a fit doesn't work all that often and it isn't worth it.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

***Update: They repaired it no charge***

They performed the module repair, not the 04006C, so I'll be getting a CLB mod soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Those who have had the CLB recall performed please step in...

Quick Reply: Those who have had the CLB recall performed please step in...