Sponsored by:

Help Roof panel came off

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:59 PM
jsbzoh6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
Yes, unless your FRC is a Z06, with Red FRCs, because you could also have a Red FRC with Black FRCs, but any way you cut it you would never be a member of the "FRC" club.

You know how you read something too much and then it doesn't look right anymore? ...Yeah.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Phace
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roodman
Well I leave work and Im driving down the road and sure enough after 8 years of owning the car the transparent roof panel flies off of my 2003 coupe.
How did this happen? Don't they latch in three places? Mine seems pretty tight when all latches are properly secured.

I'm amazed that other have seen the same issue. My coupe has a top colored the same as the car, Fairway Green. How is it possible to this to come off in transit?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 PM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phace
How did this happen? Don't they latch in three places? Mine seems pretty tight when all latches are properly secured.

I'm amazed that other have seen the same issue. My coupe has a top colored the same as the car, Fairway Green. How is it possible to this to come off in transit?
He obviously didnt latch the top on.

This can easily happen if the sun visors are in the up position and you put the roof on, and your in a hurry. Trust me, you ALWAYS think it will never happen to you, til it happens. There are C5 coupe drivers who are in the FRC club, and then there are those who have yet to be in it.
The only thing that will help is discipline to NEVER have the sun visors up when you are putting the roof back on (and never rushing, no matter what the circumstances are). My .02

look on ebay and on the parts for sale section here. Dont pay more than 600 for one.

Dan
Old 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM
prplprl2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a local Corvette Specialty Dealership...i.e. Corvettes of Dallas.

Sometimes they will get vehicles in that they buy/trade with both tops and then sell them with only the painted top...and keep the clear one to sell to FRC members like you.

It's worth a try...
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM
jsbzoh6
Racer

Originally Posted by red97vette
He obviously didnt latch the top on.

This can easily happen if the sun visors are in the up position and you put the roof on, and your in a hurry. Trust me, you ALWAYS think it will never happen to you, til it happens. There are C5 coupe drivers who are in the FRC club, and then there are those who have yet to be in it.
The only thing that will help is discipline to NEVER have the sun visors up when you are putting the roof back on (and never rushing, no matter what the circumstances are). My .02

look on ebay and on the parts for sale section here. Dont pay more than 600 for one.

Dan
Let me also add from my Camaro t-top days, after installing the top push UP on it front and back from the inside. It takes an extra two seconds, so you should never have an excuse not to do it.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Roodman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I been driving the car for 8.5 years take the roof on and off a million times a year and just forgot to latch it. Im not blaming anybody just my own forgetfulness, but to say it will never happen to you would be far fetched for anyone to say. Back to my story... I found a company who buys the gm frames repaints them puts on new acrylic blue transparent top and sells them. Shipped in one day turned it into my insurance company under comprehensive and I am good to go! Foor is practicall perfect with the only complaint is that the paint on the frame is ruff and not perfect but close. So if you ever need one calll melrose T-Tops il illinois and they will hook you up. Thanks for all the help, I just didnt want to buy a used one because they are never in the condition that I keep them in and ultimately disappointed so I go a new one.

Quick Reply: Help Roof panel came off