Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the C5 design timeless, or is the C6 dated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I love the C5 - that's why I own two. I always said that I would never sell my first which is my black car. A couple of years ago - I bought a low mileage clean 98 Pace Car....(spare me the negative comments - I have heard them all.) For what I paid for the Pace Car, and for what it is still worth, I could have bought a used C6 convertible.

I admit that lately I have given some thought to a C6 convertible - used '07 or '08, and selling the Pace Car since I rarely drive it. But I haven't because I still really like the car and when I do drive it - I still get a big smile.....

When I first saw a C5 in person, I swear my heart fluttered and my first impression was that it was the most beautiful Corvette I ever saw! When I first saw a C6 - I didn't get that same feeling.....except for the first ZR1 I saw. I still love both of my cars, but if someone offered me a straight up trade for both for a ZR1 (which would never happen!) both would be gone in a New York second!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 PM
SuzukiDan7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a newbie to the corvette scene, I thought an unbias and uneducated opinion might be interesting to you all. Before I knew the various models, I would see the c5 style as somewhat dated in comparison to the new c6 design. The c6 definitely looks more modern and I always knew the c5 was the 'older' model. Doesn't mean they don't look good, it just looks fairly dated in comparison. It still has some of the iconic features from the even older style vettes like the somewhat square rear end with perfectly circular tail lights. The flip up square halogen headlights as well look dated.

Again, nothing 'wrong' with that, its just not in line with modern sports car designs. Everything is looking more futuristic, like it doubles as a space ship on the weekend. Its not for everyone of course. The c5 has a nice blend of old and new styling, so it looks sharp. But if money were no object, I would definitely be going for a c6 z06 =)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The C5 definitely is a timeless design that will never look dated. When I see a C4 on the road, I chuckle and think, "Man, does that thing look like it is straight out of the '80s!" I don't get any thoughts like that about the C5 being from the 90's when I see one. I still think they look modern and up to date. I guess we'll see when the C7 comes out...
Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Ward Cleaver
Southern Piedmont Area
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Notions on whether or not a car such as the C5 has a "timeless design" are based on personal opinion, which is based on subjective criteria.
I would expect fans of the C5, who own a C5, in the C5 section to maybe think that they have a "timeless design." And that's a good thing, it's good that you think highly of the cars you own.

But I wouldn't, for instance, expect guys in the C6 section to post comments about the "timeless design" of the C5.
In fact, conversely, I've even seen posts elsewhere describing the design of the C5 as "ugly." (Although I wouldn't go that far).

Regarding the "turning of heads," from my experience, pretty much any model Corvette in excellent condition will turn heads, because it has a reputation as the iconic American sports car.
I have a pristine condition '96 Collector Edition that routinely turns heads on a daily basis.

Also, the only people who would mistake a 12 year old C5 for a new car are guys who know essentially nothing about Corvettes.

A true "timeless" design (such as a '57 Chevy) doesn't mean that the car continues to look new, nor is it subject to a lot of personal interpretation (you won't hear many guys saying a '57 Chevy is "ugly"). It has more to do with the lines and flow of the car continuing to be appealing and "right" to the eye (not new), in spite of advances in automotive design.

Personally, I like all Corvettes. I'm simply a fan of them. However, there are some series that I find more appealing than other series.
I have always liked the C4, and always wanted one, but when I seriously started looking for one I decided to also look at C5's, because there isn't much difference in the price point and I figured the C5 was more refined.
However, any time I'd look at one, I just couldn't get past the large rear end of the car that seemed to interrupt the flow of the body (a common complaint I've heard from folks who are not fond of the C5 design).
The front of the car reminded me of a Mazda RX7 (which was okay), but I just couldn't get myself to like the rear appearance of the car.
Although some colors (such as black) make the rear end not look so obtrusive.

I actually found myself looking at one at various angles to try to talk myself into the notion that the rear end was okay. I decided right then that I shouldn't have to be talking myself into liking the flow and design of a car, and focused my sights back on looking only for a C4 (which I felt much better about). The lines of the C4 are so much smoother and flow so much better, with nothing obtrusive to interrupt them (in my opinion).

Something else I also noticed about driving the C5 was that, although it may have more refinements, it definitely did not have the "feel for the road" that the C4 has (something else I've also heard from other folks).

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on any C5 parade, I just wanted to give an honest, contrasting opinion and answer to the question posed in this thread ("does the C5 have a 'timeless' design?")
My answer is a definite "no." Although, I still like all Corvettes and continue to be a fan of them.

Regards,
-Ward

Last edited by Ward Cleaver; 09-14-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward Cleaver
Notions on whether or not a car such as the C5 has a "timeless design" are based on personal opinion, which is based on subjective criteria........("does the C5 have a 'timeless' design?")
My answer is a definite "no." Although, I still like all Corvettes and continue to be a fan of them.

Regards,
-Ward
Well I learned a long time ago in the Marines, there will always be what we call the "10 percent"

Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
I too get the "is it new" question all the time as well. When I tell them its 10 years old the never believe me...
Either that or they do the jaw drop thing
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by srs244
i disagree because it really comes down to your definition of timeless. personally i believe several of the vette generations are 'timeless' as i see it' the 53, the 57, the 64 split window tanker, the 68 or 69 C3. in my opinion these are all classicly styled and timeless in that design. the C5 is unique in design by comparison to late 90s styling, and the C6 tried to improve on that unique styling but fell short in m opinion. only time will tell if it is ever considered timeless (the C5).
those aren't timeless IMO. they are a nice vette. We love them because they were unique vettes. No way would people want to go spend 50K on a reproduction 53, 69, etc. It sure backfired with the T Bird.

That's why I bought a FRC. One day the C5 will be another vette, but the FRC/Z06 will always be unique.

If you go to any section of this forum you can find the same remarks being made about the timeless of their particular vette and how it's the nicest looking vette ever produced.

I know, I've read them more than once. Many C4 guys get that, "is it new" as well.

I'm not knocking the C5 and it will go down as one of the nicer vettes. But it's going to take some time to do it and it's hardly what I would consider timeless. There's no such thing, time marches on.

And a C5 is a late 90's vette by the way.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 09-14-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Ward Cleaver
Notions on whether or not a car such as the C5 has a "timeless design" are based on personal opinion, which is based on subjective criteria.
I would expect fans of the C5, who own a C5, in the C5 section to maybe think that they have a "timeless design." And that's a good thing, it's good that you think highly of the cars you own.

But I wouldn't, for instance, expect guys in the C6 section to post comments about the "timeless design" of the C5.
In fact, conversely, I've even seen posts elsewhere describing the design of the C5 as "ugly." (Although I wouldn't go that far).

Regarding the "turning of heads," from my experience, pretty much any model Corvette in excellent condition will turn heads, because it has a reputation as the iconic American sports car.
I have a pristine condition '96 Collector Edition that routinely turns heads on a daily basis.

Also, the only people who would mistake a 12 year old C5 for a new car are guys who know essentially nothing about Corvettes.

A true "timeless" design (such as a '57 Chevy) doesn't mean that the car continues to look new, nor is it subject to a lot of personal interpretation (you won't hear many guys saying a '57 Chevy is "ugly"). It has more to do with the lines and flow of the car continuing to be appealing and "right" to the eye (not new), in spite of advances in automotive design.

Personally, I like all Corvettes. I'm simply a fan of them. However, there are some series that I find more appealing than other series.
I have always liked the C4, and always wanted one, but when I seriously started looking for one I decided to also look at C5's, because there isn't much difference in the price point and I figured the C5 was more refined.
However, any time I'd look at one, I just couldn't get past the large rear end of the car that seemed to interrupt the flow of the body (a common complaint I've heard from folks who are not fond of the C5 design).
The front of the car reminded me of a Mazda RX7 (which was okay), but I just couldn't get myself to like the rear appearance of the car.
Although some colors (such as black) make the rear end not look so obtrusive.

I actually found myself looking at one at various angles to try to talk myself into the notion that the rear end was okay. I decided right then that I shouldn't have to be talking myself into liking the flow and design of a car, and focused my sights back on looking only for a C4 (which I felt much better about). The lines of the C4 are so much smoother and flow so much better, with nothing obtrusive to interrupt them (in my opinion).

Something else I also noticed about driving the C5 was that, although it may have more refinements, it definitely did not have the "feel for the road" that the C4 has (something else I've also heard from other folks).

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on any C5 parade, I just wanted to give an honest, contrasting opinion and answer to the question posed in this thread ("does the C5 have a 'timeless' design?")

Regards,
-Ward

The coupe is not nearly as attractive as the vert or FRC/Z06. The slope of the hatchback takes my eye to the butt and it looks out of proportion.

But the vert and the FRC/Z06 doesn't do that to me. I always say they must build all vettes as a vert then throw a roof on them.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

In typical CORVETTE fashion, each of the generations are unique and stand the test of time.

Even though we each have our "favorite," GM did a great job with each iteration to make them forever fresh. I guess what I am saying is that there is a certain CLASSIC nature to each version.

Me, I love the C5 lines and always will. There are things I like better about the C6, and I guess I could even say that about 4,3,2 and 1. No matter which year, everyone knows they just saw a VETTE when we pass them by.

Enjoy and Drive.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A C5 is like a beautiful woman, you just CANT keep your hands off of them.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Well they sell the 69 Camero as fast as they can build them. And id love to have a 67 stingray on a C5 frame
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
those aren't timeless IMO. they are a nice vette. We love them because they were unique vettes. No way would people want to go spend 50K on a reproduction 53, 69, etc. It sure backfired with the T Bird.

That's why I bought a FRC. One day the C5 will be another vette, but the FRC/Z06 will always be unique.

If you go to any section of this forum you can find the same remarks being made about the timeless of their particular vette and how it's the nicest looking vette ever produced.

I know, I've read them more than once. Many C4 guys get that, "is it new" as well.

I'm not knocking the C5 and it will go down as one of the nicer vettes. But it's going to take some time to do it and it's hardly what I would consider timeless. There's no such thing, time marches on.

And a C5 is a late 90's vette by the way.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Who let the C4 guy in here?

Lets all go to the C4 section and raise hell.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

I aint goin over there,lol. I love the C1 C2 C3 C5, I dont like the Headlights on the C6 and its a much smaller car then the C5 but its growing on me. I never was a fan of the C4.

Last edited by Dixiecrat; 09-14-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Caesar68

It's guys like you that give C5 owners a bad rap.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Caesar68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This was obviously meant as a joke.

Chill Bill
Old 09-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was obviously meant as a joke.

Chill Bill
There is no need to "Kill Bill" ok? He was just pointing out a joke.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM
slj455
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer
Default C5

As a first time Vette owner, I did look at C4 and a C6 vettes.

I liked the looks of all vettes, the C4's were too tight for me. I admit I had some trouble getting in and out. At 62, I'm not as limber as I used to be.

I test drove a C6, 2005 automatic. Good price and very nice owner. The price point was just a bit too high. I did not like the style as much as the C5. I had looked for quite a while and was pretty frustrated, when I saw the one I currently own, on Craig's list. Hard to explain, but when I first saw it I thought "Wow, what a nice car" I liked the low key pewter color, and it looked to be in great shape, not perfect, but very clean. A test drive and an hour with the owner convinced me this was the car.

It was a combination of style, performance, and good maintenance. It was and is a driver, not even kept in a garage.

As I get to know it, my attachment and opinion of it increases ever more. I also find I appreciate the style more the longer I own and get to know the lines when I am cleaning it.

So gotta say all Corvettes have timeless style, because they are corvettes. I personally like the C5 design the best, not because I own one, but just because I love the looks.

Quick Reply: Is the C5 design timeless, or is the C6 dated?