C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5 Z06 versus SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
I know the Z06 will be more nimble, but I assume lack the overall grip when stock. Acceleration-wise I would expect the Z06 to be about on par with my car, but probably a bit quicker 0-60. I can hit 0-60 in about 4.2 in my car, but that is super hard to hit as it is really hard to launch well. I could hit consistent 4.7's though. I am definitely no drag racer though. I am more interested in autocrossing.
Unless your car runs 11s at over 118 MPH (doubtful) the stock C5 Z06 is going to be quicker 0-60, through the 1/4 mile, and probably out to the full mile at least. I have no idea why you would assume a lack of overall grip when stock, that is about the furthest thing from the truth. A stock Z06 should have more grip than your modded car and it will handle much better.

If you are interested in Auto-X than this is a no-brainer. I bought a new 2006 Charger RT with the optional R&T Performance group and a 2007 Dodge SUV so I have no bias. 30K private party is not a trade-in value. Mods do not increase the value of your car, they could hurt it. I would jump all over a 30K trade-in offer for your car. My car is a garaged original owner stock car with 13,000 miles and I would not sell for less than $25,000.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no idea SRT8s could make that kind of power with bolt-ons only. I mean, stock they make about the same hp as 02-04 Z06s-about 360 hp to the wheels (considering GM underrated the cars' power). How on earth did you get 80 rwhp with bolt-ons alone? What kind of dyno were you on?

FWIW, you'd be lucky to get to 400 rwhp with a full bolt-on Z06.

Last edited by Kamauxx; 07-31-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Kamauxx
I had no idea SRT8s could make that kind of power with bolt-ons only. I mean, stock they make about the same hp as 02-04 Z06s (considering GM underrated the cars' power). How on earth did you get over 80 rwhp with bolt-ons alone?

With a BOLT ON only Z, it is still a solid and very stout ride.

Add a BUNCH of cheesy stickers to your car and you are well over 400 rwhp!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kamauxx
I had no idea SRT8s could make that kind of power with bolt-ons only. I mean, stock they make about the same hp as 02-04 Z06s-about 360 hp to the wheels (considering GM underrated the cars' power). How on earth did you get 80 rwhp with bolt-ons alone? What kind of dyno were you on?

Mine is a factory freak of some sort, or the dyno was just off and was reading high that day. Odds are my car only really has around 410hp at the wheels. It is plenty quick though since I am able to hit 0-60 times of 4.2 second in a 4,150lb car. Still not Z06 numbers, but pretty close. The SRT8 is a poor mans CTS-V, or probably more accurately a poor mans E63. Since the SRT8 is made of about 50% Mercedes parts. The transmission, rear end, suspension, chassis, ESP, TCM, etc....all taken from the Mercedes E-class.

I think I am going to be happy with a bone stock Z06. Or I hope so! Mods get to be so addictive and expensive!

Last edited by Grimlock; 07-31-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

Mine is a factory freak of some sort, or the dyno was just off and was reading high that day. Odds are my car only really has around 410hp at the wheels. It is plenty quick though since I am able to hit 0-60 times of 4.2 second in a 4,150lb car. Still not Z06 numbers, but pretty close. The SRT8 is a poor mans CTS-V, or probably more accurately a poor mans E63. Since the SRT8 is made of about 50% Mercedes parts. The transmission, rear end, suspension, chassis, ESP, TCM, etc....all taken from the Mercedes E-class.

I think I am going to be happy with a bone stock Z06. Or I hope so! Mods get to be so addictive and expensive!
Yea, 410 sounds more accurate.

I thought I'd leave my Z stock when I got it too, but that hasn't worked out so well...at all.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Silnus
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a dyno sheet on your SRT8? Just curious, I would like to see the PB and how the curve looks.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
enigma94
Racer

You definitely need to test drive a c5z before you make any decisions, once you do I dont think you'll ever look back. I owned a stock 2007 charger SRT-8 before purchasing my 02 Z06 and the only thing I miss about that car are the stock srt-8 seats! For a big car it did handle very well and it was pretty fast but the automatic tranny, the weight and size of the car, and the gas mileage made me unhappy with the car after the first month.

As far as 30k trade in.... I'd jump on it. Granted they might be more rare and harder to find now as opposed to back in 2008(when I traded my srt-8 charger in on a 07 STI) as they would only give me 33k for my car with 15,000 miles and that was when it was only a year old.

After my STi was stolen I got into my z06 and have not looked back for even a second. The gas mileage difference alone is a major reason to switch over. I got 11-13mpg consistently in my charger where as i can get 18-25 in the vette which blew my mind considering the z06 is MUCH faster than the charger. I daily drive my vette year round and have been for over 3 years with no complaints. It does have a very large trunk (bigger than you would think) and a little extra space behind the seats. I put my 70lbs Pitt bull in the front seat with no problems. Granted this would depend on the disposition of your dog on weather or not this will work for you, lol.

I have had over 35 cars and i'm only 27 so that should tell you how easy the fun factor can fade for me with cars and I still have yet to even think about selling my z06. It is the perfect sports car in that you can be happy with stock power and upgrade everything else and still have a phenomenal machine. If you want to add power you are somewhat limitless if money isnt an option as you can have a550+hp vette for 6-8k over the price of the car and you wont find anything on the road that will take out a 550+ rwhp vette unless its another vette or something else that has a crazy build.

Find a C5 Z06 to test drive and never look back.

Last edited by enigma94; 08-01-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Mine is a factory freak of some sort, or the dyno was just off and was reading high that day. Odds are my car only really has around 410hp at the wheels. It is plenty quick though since I am able to hit 0-60 times of 4.2 second in a 4,150lb car.
I'd like to see the dyno sheet or a 1/4 mile slip. Dynomax Cat-Back, Predator w/SVS Tune, Jet 180 T-Stat, and AFE Stage 2 CAI should not be enough to get 434 to the rear wheels. That is a gain of about 80 HP. Where are you getting the 4.2 second rating? I would not count on the EVIC being all that accurate. Your best bet is to take the car to a track.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Kamauxx
Racer

Probably just a terribly calibrated dyno.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 AM
uberC5
Racer

Why should I avoid a '04? I was thinking about looking at an '04 Z16.
Probably have trouble finding the PERFECT 20k-40k mile Z16 Z06 for under $30K. 02-03, you'll find them all day long for well under $25K.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silnus
Do you have a dyno sheet on your SRT8? Just curious, I would like to see the PB and how the curve looks.

I don't think I have the dyno sheets any more as they were on another computer that ended up getting roasted by a virus.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbartick
I'd like to see the dyno sheet or a 1/4 mile slip. Dynomax Cat-Back, Predator w/SVS Tune, Jet 180 T-Stat, and AFE Stage 2 CAI should not be enough to get 434 to the rear wheels. That is a gain of about 80 HP. Where are you getting the 4.2 second rating? I would not count on the EVIC being all that accurate. Your best bet is to take the car to a track.
Yeah I know EVIC has some error, especially if you get any tire spin. The 4.2 number was based on an EVIC run with no spin so that should be approximately accurate. I drove a C5Z yesterday with just an intake and otherwise stock and definitely my SRT8 would hang with it. So even if the 4.2 number is slightly off it isn't by much.

I don't drag race at all. So I don;t have any slips. Well I might have some autocross slips, but that doesn't help.

That being said, I am looking to get the Z06 now. I am just trying to figure out a way to sell my Charger quickly. I prefer the feel of a smaller car.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Kamauxx
Racer

Yeah I know EVIC has some error, especially if you get any tire spin. The 4.2 number was based on an EVIC run with no spin so that should be approximately accurate. I drove a C5Z yesterday with just an intake and otherwise stock and definitely my SRT8 would hang with it. So even if the 4.2 number is slightly off it isn't by much.

I don't drag race at all. So I don;t have any slips. Well I might have some autocross slips, but that doesn't help.

That being said, I am looking to get the Z06 now. I am just trying to figure out a way to sell my Charger quickly. I prefer the feel of a smaller car.
I'd say instead of trading it in try to sell it to the dealer. I've done this before and it's much better because your options aren't limited as far as getting a new vic.

If you do this you can then buy a C5Z from the forum, which is, in my opinion one of the best places to buy a Z06 from. There's a great amount of Zs in your price/mileage range, and you can search the owners' old posts to see what kind of/any issues they may have had with their car.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Grimlock
Drifting

The dealers in my area aren't willing to pay anything for used cars. The one I talked to said he would only pay me wholsale for the car WITHOUT taking the low miles into account. In other words he was willing to pay $22K for a car with a Private Party KBB of over $30K! He even admitted that if he took the low mileage into account it got the wholesale value to over $25K, but he wouldn't pay that.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As everyone has stated, theres no comparison between the two from a performance stand point. Hell, up until recently the C5 ZO6 was one of the fastest factory cars around the N-burg ring. A modded C5Z will run with car 50k+ easily.

To compare, take the same amout of money you put in your Dodge and put it in the C5Z and there will be zero discussion. Stone, bone stock the C5Z went 11.97@118. Thats factory filter and all, just for reference my car makes 500+rwhp and weights 2880lb and I spent about 6k total in mods. The vette parts sell well, meaning I off set the modded parts cost with factory part that came off of the car. And if or when I sell, it wont be hard to demod in trade for factory parts.

To put it bluntly, the only thing that scares me on the street is a modded Busa.

And deffinety no Dodge....(not meant to offend, just the truth)

thanks.....
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

As everyone has stated, theres no comparison between the two from a performance stand point. Hell, up until recently the C5 ZO6 was one of the fastest factory cars around the N-burg ring. A modded C5Z will run with car 50k+ easily.

To compare, take the same amout of money you put in your Dodge and put it in the C5Z and there will be zero discussion. Stone, bone stock the C5Z went 11.97@118. Thats factory filter and all, just for reference my car makes 500+rwhp and weights 2880lb and I spent about 6k total in mods. The vette parts sell well, meaning I off set the modded parts cost with factory part that came off of the car. And if or when I sell, it wont be hard to demod in trade for factory parts.

To put it bluntly, the only thing that scares me on the street is a modded Busa.

thanks.....fyi....I spray a little on top of that when I need too.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM
kageryu311
Pro

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC

thanks.....
Try a TT Viper and then rethink about not being scared of anything on the steet. Also in reality the majority of stock C5Z owners are only going to hit about 12.2 @ 116mph.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 versus SRT8

Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Dyno queens

In all seriousness....never seen a fast TT viper at the track or on the street. Remember you have to be able to put it down (traction).

Thanks...well...Im talking street car...a/c...power everything...and not on a trailer.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
kageryu311
Pro

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
Dyno queens

In all seriousness....never seen a fast TT viper at the track or on the street. Remember you have to be able to put it down (traction).

Thanks...well...Im talking street car...a/c...power everything...and not on a trailer.
You obviously haven't been around a lot. Go to TX2K12 and see where you really stand. There are plenty of faster Corvettes, Vipers, Supras, Lambos, GT-Rs, Cobras, Camaros, and bikes and etc. that would show you your place in the food chain.

All street cars, some good on the track and some good on the street and many that are good on both. And these are street cars with everything. You need to get out more.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

You must be into roll raceing....most chics are..

Not my idea of the true fastest car.....maybe we could talk NHRA into roll racing since all the big dogs are doing it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 Z06 versus SRT8