Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you cut holes in your rear bumper to install a rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Would you cut holes in your rear bumper to install a rear spoiler?

I am really on the fence on this issue. I suppose it could be repaired later on, but I am hesitant to do it....I would prefer high tack molding tape, such as that used on the BSMs; has anyone done a spoiler with the 3M tape?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

To answer your first question, is how much do you like the spoiler. In other words, do you plan on leaving it on the car when you sell or trade it? If not then you are looking at a repair and paint. Does the spoiler you are looking at require the bolt hold down? To use the tape the underside of the spoiler needs to have enough surface area for the tape to adhere to.
I have the SLP spoiler on mine and it is held on with the tape and that is how it came from the supplier.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Expensive

I've had mine for three years with no problems. To put holes seems extreme unless your talking one of the huge functional spoilers.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the spoiler lol
The main ones that are offered here 3M tape will do just fine.

I myself am looking to purchase APR's GTC-300 wing for Our vette. Sticks up to about the roof line. It's not for everyone but I'm not everyone. So in this case yes bolt it down.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,, and mine bolts down. Didn't want to have to worry about it and the car is not going anywhere. Will be keeping it for a long time...
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Originally Posted by TR6speed
To answer your first question, is how much do you like the spoiler. In other words, do you plan on leaving it on the car when you sell or trade it? If not then you are looking at a repair and paint. Does the spoiler you are looking at require the bolt hold down? To use the tape the underside of the spoiler needs to have enough surface area for the tape to adhere to.
I have the SLP spoiler on mine and it is held on with the tape and that is how it came from the supplier.
The one I am interested in requires bolting down...the Apsis. I like it a lot, but things change and I tend to run a mod for a couple years, then sell the part(s). I've had the car for 15 years, but once in a while I get the urge to move on, but then I get over it....this is a tough one for me this time.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by liveaboard74
Yes,, and mine bolts down. Didn't want to have to worry about it and the car is not going anywhere. Will be keeping it for a long time...
I hear ya...hey, how many bolt holes does it require? And, are there studs molded into the spoiler, or nutserts that bolts from underneath attach to?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I hear ya...hey, how many bolt holes does it require? And, are there studs molded into the spoiler, or nutserts that bolts from underneath attach to?
4 holes. Studs molded into the spoiler. chevy place mounted it while they were painting the car for me. Did a great job. .
frumnuttin its just me but I don't what to have to worry about something with tape coming off later down the road. Rather do it secure and have that worry behind me. Read a lot on here and 95% of what I've learned to do to mine has been off the forum but I just don't trust tape through the seasons, changing hot and cold. Play with boats so you don't second guess anything there. It will come back to bite you. Lost a set of back window screens on a 69 mustang at 140 one night with tape. I'll stick with the bolts for my own peace of mind....

Last edited by liveaboard74; 07-12-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by powerjunky
Depends on the spoiler lol
The main ones that are offered here 3M tape will do just fine.

I myself am looking to purchase APR's GTC-300 wing for Our vette. Sticks up to about the roof line. It's not for everyone but I'm not everyone. So in this case yes bolt it down.

Good luck
You mean this APR wing?

I say "Just Do Eeeet!"

I love mine.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RC45
You mean this APR wing?

I say "Just Do Eeeet!"

I love mine.

Yessss lol damn, that wing with my Vis scv hood....
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No I would not cut holes in my bumper for anything
Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by liveaboard74
4 holes. Studs molded into the spoiler. chevy place mounted it while they were painting the car for me. Did a great job. .
frumnuttin its just me but I don't what to have to worry about something with tape coming off later down the road. Rather do it secure and have that worry behind me. Read a lot on here and 95% of what I've learned to do to mine has been off the forum but I just don't trust type through the seasons, changing hot and cold. Play with boats so you don't second guess anything there. It will come back to bite you. Lost a set of back window screens on a 69 mustang at 140 one night with type. I'll stick with the bolts for my own peace of mind....

thanks for the reply. In your expert opinion do you think it is possible to cut off the bolt shanks and convert to the 3M tape without getting any gaposis?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I would not drill holes in mine.

The one I like best (SLP) does not require holes.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Bolted my ACI down-no big deal. I see rear facias at the Vette shows all the time for $200 so what's the big deal to replace it later if you want???

Last edited by dougbfresh; 07-12-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,406 Likes on 14,032 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I don't think I would be willing to drill into my car to mount a spoiler, but I can see the concern about just using tape too. If you really like the spoiler and that is the only way to ensure it stays put, then go for it. Like you said, it can always be repaired.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM
D&A'sDad
Burning Brakes

I mounted my spoiler almost 2 years ago with the 3m tape.
(spoiler mfg. supplied a backing strip and several studs for mounting with the backing strip to be inserted through the tail light!)

It has seen speeds in excess of 160mph + Fl. heat, no movement!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM
andy46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the SLP spoiler on my car, theres no way that tape is coming off, no matter how fast you go, or with the temperature changes, that stuff really sticks!

Get notified of new replies

To Would you cut holes in your rear bumper to install a rear spoiler?

Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
thanks for the reply. In your expert opinion do you think it is possible to cut off the bolt shanks and convert to the 3M tape without getting any gaposis?
In my expert opinion your not going to get me nailed down to saying in my expert opinion..... We do get smarter as we get older.
I don't think,, (hows that...) with the bolts filled off and tape added it would be any different than any other spoiler where the gentleman that use tape have now and the post I read I have not seen anyone talk about a flying spoiler club. . Its just what makes me feel comfortable about it is all. Its been a while but you might even be able to order these things both ways.
If I were going to change cars I would have had seconds thoughts about a lot of things but I buy only to keep so try and do things where I don't have to go back and redo them later.....Stay on the water and its very humid. Tape and humidity to me, don't belong in the same sentence.......

If it bothers you about the drilling holes I'd really try the tape. I have not seen anyone that's had a bad report about it.. One thing I will say is it really changes the way the whole car looks. That one mod did more for the looks of the car than anything else. I'm tickled with it....

Last edited by liveaboard74; 07-12-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I was a little hesitant at first but did it after I thought about what if I taped it down and during a high speed run it came loose, or while at a car show someone leaned on it. Then I knew thats why they designed them with studs and I drilled the rear facia and have PEACE OF MIND.

I know it's secure!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM
BlueDream
Safety Car

Mine is bolted down as well. That's the way it came and I really wouldn't feel comfortable with just the tape.

Quick Reply: Would you cut holes in your rear bumper to install a rear spoiler?