Sponsored by:

ABS, Traction Control error message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:13 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by guido7834
I also get the service abs/traction contriol warning on occasion, but only when I pull out of my garage and make a hard turn onto the drive way. Does the steering position have anything to do with this?
I have heard that can cause it.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM
FL_Dave
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamer
I had this problem with Service Traction control light being on and the abs. I cleared all my codes and the 1217 c keep popping back up.
I check the fuse box near the battery under hood. The #52 ABS Fuse 40 amp was blown (probably from changing the battery or from my old battery constantly loosing charge after Vette sat for periods of time) I replaced the huge fuse and everything is fine. Remember after you change fuse to clear the error code in computer.

Hope this helps someone out :-)
Screamer is my newest best friend. Thanks Screamer, it was my fuse as well this time.

I've had abs/tcs messages before and after lots of checking (resoldered abs module, cleaned all the grounds, stopping and starting in dirt to activate exercise abs/tcs, etc. After all that I found that the shop tech didn't tighten the starter cable. After applying a little Nolox and proper torque, the alternator charging was more efficient (battery stayed full) and the abs/tcs error codes went away for 2+ years.

This AM I did my usual turn over a slight bump and onto a highway with just enough gas to pulse the Active Handling. (A bump on the turn makes this easy to exercise the module) But this time I got the 1217 code and nothing would clear it. Thanks to Screamer, I just replaced the fuse and am good to go.

This forum makes owning a C5 fun.

Dave
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
zesstey1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also get the service abs/traction contriol warning on occasion, but only when I pull out of my garage and make a hard turn onto the drive way. Does the steering position have anything to do with this?
Mine did the same thing it was a loose wheel speed sensor plug unplugged and cleaned it was fine after that.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Yup I've read a lot of these posts over the years and remember other messages about "AH/TC warming up". Mine will occasionally do exactly what you're describing when I back out, cut the wheel and U-Turn. I think that it takes a bit of motion to have all the sensors report in to the system and when you back up and then turn hard it screws that process up. Not sure if it does it only when its cold, but a shut down and restart always clears it up for me. I don't notice it happening when I'm out and about and do the same maneuver when backing out of a parking spot.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 PM
ymash
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuse blows becasue of the pump. If it doesn't come on for a while, it siezes a little and draws too much current, blowing the fuse.

If the fuse keeps blowing or the abs and trac light come on when activated, you might need to expercise the pump by bringing 12v to the green lead on top of the pump. You can use a regular test light(not a high impedence one) or a fused lead (30 or 40a) to poke the wire and turn the pump ON. keep it on for 5 to 10sec and then let it rest for 1min. The fuse might blow a couple of times, just replace it and do it again until it doesn't blow anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS, Traction Control error message