Sponsored by:

Belts and Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 PM
VETSTYL
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Belts and Tensioners

Diagnosed by the local dealer that I need two near belts and two tensioners as well. Made contact with Summitt and the prices are exponentially lower than the dealer prices for parts.

While I am having tensioners and belts replaced, would you recommend anything else of a preventive maintenance perspective be done as well.

Had the dreaded squeeky belts
Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

belts and tensioners can be purchased at autozone or any other parts house. cheap, good quality, and easy to install yourself.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

What does exponentially lower mean in this context??? we are only talking dealer and after market.. ?? exponentially means a snow balling increase or decrease over many set points. 2, 4, 8, 16 32, 64, 128 etc.
Why are you changing tensioners??? are they bad??? why aren't you changing the idlers.. if a tensioner is bad 99% of the time its just the pulley on the tensioner.. the difference is 70 dollars for the whole tensioner as oppose to just the pulley which is 16 dollars. if a tensioner pulley is bad, the idler pulley for that belt system is also close to failure. You have two tensioners and two idlers , One set for the drive belt system, and one set for the ac belt system. if one of these components is bad within a belt system you should change both components. original OEM bearing seal design has been found to be less than desirable, so when one fails the other is not far behind.
Hope this info helps
Bill aka ET
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM
VETSTYL
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
What does exponentially lower mean in this context??? we are only talking dealer and after market.. ?? exponentially means a snow balling increase or decrease over many set points. 2, 4, 8, 16 32, 64, 128 etc.
Why are you changing tensioners??? are they bad??? why aren't you changing the idlers.. if a tensioner is bad 99% of the time its just the pulley on the tensioner.. the difference is 70 dollars for the whole tensioner as oppose to just the pulley which is 16 dollars. if a tensioner pulley is bad, the idler pulley for that belt system is also close to failure. You have two tensioners and two idlers , One set for the drive belt system, and one set for the ac belt system. if one of these components is bad within a belt system you should change both components. original OEM bearing seal design has been found to be less than desirable, so when one fails the other is not far behind.
Hope this info helps
Bill aka ET

Ouch
Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by VETSTYL
Ouch
????????? Ouch !
I just took the time to explain your pulley issues and some proper input, and for this I get an Ouch??? TYVM.
If you are referring to the exponential explanation.. that's just what it was. A question and an explanation of what the word means.. obviously not something to be used in your question.. maybe you thought it meant something else. That's why I asked what exponentially means to you? IN any event, I hope I was able to explain the tensioner and pulley relationship of the two belt systems found on your car.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:09 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

You have two tensioners and two idlers , One set for the drive belt system, and one set for the ac belt system. if one of these components is bad within a belt system you should change both components. original OEM bearing seal design has been found to be less than desirable, so when one fails the other is not far behind.
Hope this info helps
Bill aka ET
Helps me! Since something is failing in my pulley system . . .

Thanks Bill.

If I just change the pulleys, will the autozone variety work or do I need to go with GM?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by 74-Roadster
Helps me! Since something is failing in my pulley system . . .

Thanks Bill.

If I just change the pulleys, will the autozone variety work or do I need to go with GM?
search for my procedure on isolating belt system noise... you should not replace good parts in the hope that one of them will cure your problem... first thing you should do it find out which system is causing the noise.. the drive belt system or the ac belt system.. since the drive belt system is the out board belt.. when you are experiencing this noise, remove the drive belt ( outer belt ), restart the car and see if the noise goes away. if its still there then is a problem in the AC belt system. Both pulleys of the AC belt system are the same both are a smooth pulley you need not change the tensioner part of the tensioner pulley.. people make the mistake of replacing the whole tensioner 70 dollar item, when only the pulley part is bad. ( 16 dollars. On the drive belt, you have a smooth pulley Idler and a ripped tensioner pulley. Once you identify which belt system is causing the noise, you can use a piece of rubber tubing long enough to reach all of the components. use the tubing ( rubber or plastic ) like a stethoscope to locate the exact part. remember that in the belt system you can have a failure at the water pump, power steering pump, alternator/gen,or the harmonic balancer causing misalignment of the belt. in most cases,
once the belt system is identified, its usually the idler or the tensioner.. its a good idea to replace both components since both components use the same bearings, same seals, same grease.
Good luch
Bill aka ET
Old 07-09-2011, 01:49 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Once you identify which belt system is causing the noise, you can use a piece of rubber tubing long enough to reach all of the components. use the tubing ( rubber or plastic ) like a stethoscope to locate the exact part.Bill aka ET
While I was reading through this, I thought about exactly what you ended up saying.....the old hose trick. A long time ago, an "old school" mechanic I worked with taught me the usefullness of the short piece of garden hose to isolate noises and help troubleshoot problems.

Very cool that you went there!

Thanks for the rest of the great info on this. I'm at 92K and expecting to deal with this issue relatively soon.

Oh...and I'm part way through "All Corvettes are Red".....where did you fit in during this process? What team were you part of?

I could probably search for past posts but thought I'd just ask here.

Greg a.k.a. Oh 2 Fun
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM
cedrop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh 2 Fun your post could have been written by me.
My 03 is at 80k, have the same issue, learned the same hose tip as a kid in the gas station I worked, and I'm halfway thru "All Corvettes are Red"
Interesting
Old 08-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

What I thought was a belt/pulley squeak was really the front alternator bearing. The old $2. Harbor Freight stethoscope pinpointed it.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 PM
BIGG DOGG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
What I thought was a belt/pulley squeak was really the front alternator bearing. The old $2. Harbor Freight stethoscope pinpointed it.
Can I really buy an automotive stethoscope at Harbor Freight for only $2?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGG DOGG
Can I really buy an automotive stethoscope at Harbor Freight for only $2?
Yes........
But it will cost you $4.....Inflation I guess

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html
Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,445 Likes on 14,051 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
The old $2. Harbor Freight stethoscope pinpointed it.
I think I paid a bit more than $2 for mine, but the Harbor Freight stethoscope is a very handy thing to have in the tool box.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 PM
SFL_driver
Pro

mights as well replace the idler pulleys also

Get notified of new replies

To Belts and Tensioners

Quick Reply: Belts and Tensioners