Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:36 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
We still wave in OKC!
What more can I say. Oklahoma is just a friendly state and yes it is an "old school" tradition that newer Corvette owners may not be familiar with. We wave in Tulsa.

OBD
Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 AM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had Vettes all my life and the last couple of years the return waves seemed to drop. This year so far it seems everybody is waving back. I even get waves when people see the 59 on the trailer.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:39 AM
hyp3r3xt3nsion
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't wave or return waves - I don't give a damn that we're driving the same model car on the road at the same time. I just want to be left alone to my thoughts.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:30 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i always wave...and about 75% of the time i get a wave back..if i dont then i dont lose sleep over it
Old 07-03-2011, 03:06 AM
Kamauxx
Racer

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Been waving my freakin arm off for decades of riding bikes. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people getting their feelings hurt because some stranger who happens to ride/drive the same vehicle doesn't wave back.

Next thing I'm expecting to hear is how come someone doesn't wave back cause they have the same Toaster!

Can't people just deal with what they got and quite depending on strangers to wave back at them?
There's always gonna be that one last guy no one picks for their team.

I agree 100%. Couldn't have said it better me own self.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:39 AM
ksvette74
Burning Brakes

I wave, and return the wave. Sometimes, people don't see it (im sure ive not waved when I just missed someone waving at me, or had my head up my ****). Ive also had blank stares from what look to be "new" vette people (not new vettes, just new to vette ownership). Most folks who know the history and the hobby seem to wave. If someone doesn't wave though, I don't get all upset about it.

The wave seperates people who bought the vette because that model is a car they like, and people who have a vette and buy into the hobby. When I go to events, like Eureka Springs, everyone waves!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I only seem to get waves from other C5 owners. If Im not hauling butt I try to wave back always. Everytime Ive waved at a C6 they never wave back or look puzzled. "Do I know him?"
Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want more waves, give more waves. I wave and it is no big deal if I don't get one back. Coiuld be that the other driver was actually driving his car and not on his cell phone or something dangerous and didn't see you or it was too late to wave! I am happy when someone waves back but it does not ruin my day if they don't.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:32 AM
judgnot
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
I waved to a C6 today near the beach and got a very nice wave back. My girlfriend burst out laughing saying I was a dork. I'm sure the guy's lady was saying the same thing lol.

There were like 5 Porsches around us and none of them were waving to each other. It's nice to feel the love.
Funny. I had a new girl in my car when I spotted another c5 coming the opposite way. In an instant the events that were to take place occurred in my mind in a millisecond. 3 things were going to happen just as sure as monday follows sunday. 1. the other C5'er was going to wave. 2. I was going to wave back. and 3. my passenger was going to about lose it. seconds later we were past that point in the continuum when those events occurred and hysterical laughter filled our cockpit for blocks.

A fine day to be a SWZ owner.

Last edited by judgnot; 07-03-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Rickster1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wave when I'm on the bike or in the 'vette. Some wave back some don't. Their loss for being so grumpy.

I sometimes wave at bikes when I am in the C5 and at Corvettes when on the bike. I also wave a kids and pretty girls (if the wife isn't with me).

Down in the very small and poor towns of southern Colorado, pretty much everyone waves at everyone. Even if it is just lifting an index finger off the wheel and nodding a head. Very friendly people down there.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wave all the time. Most of the time I get a wave in return. But 98% of the time,women never wave. I figure most of them see their Vette as part of their fashion statement . I don't lose any sleep over that either. I'm just amazed by it.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:29 AM
retired08
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Tradition?

After over 35 years of bikes (mostly Harley's), and "almost" always waving, even to the "other" brands, I felf the wave was somewhat of a traditional sign of brotherhood, cool ride and if you need help, I'm here. I'm on my 4th Vette and will continue that same tradition whether or not I get a response. Maybe those who don't know about waving will catch on and for those who don't give a damn, you still have a cool ride.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Jazzster
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a bike and a vette, and other vehicles too, nothing like waving at a bike when in the station wagon and getting a blank stare in return lol.....I forget what I'm driving all the time (getting old)........

The new mopeds with the funny headlights get me every now and then, I have been known to toss a wave at what looks like a cruiser only to see that its grandma on the moped coming back from the store 8).....

oh well, not a big deal if you don't get a return wave,

jazz
Old 07-03-2011, 09:37 AM
RaW Z06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wave is alive and well on the Central Coast of California. It doesn't seem to matter what year of vette your driving. Before purchasing my C5 Z06, I spent most of my free time riding Harley's. The wave is very common with Harley owners. When first driving the Z06, I noticed the vette wave right away and participate with every vette I see.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
I don't wave or return waves - I don't give a damn that we're driving the same model car on the road at the same time. I just want to be left alone to my thoughts.
Are you off your meds AGAIN?!......
Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Florida Mike
Racer

Here is what I have noticed in my "wave experience". I wave all the time by the way...

1. Owners of C3, C4, and C5s seem to be more ready to wave or wave back to me in my C5 than C6 owners. Maybe the C6 owners they think they are better since they own a newer Vette?

2. Most females do not wave or wave back at me as I guess they see me as some "old guy" flirting with them. Although one "mature" gal around my area waves to me all the time from her C5

3. Young guys seem to not wave to anyone. I waved at some 20 something guy in his Vette and he gave me the look like "WTF?" and floored it to get away from me!

Just my narrow views. Don't try this at home. No animals were hurt in these findings. Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:21 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 410 Likes on 328 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

I've got about a 95% return-wave rate...

Get notified of new replies

To What happened to the wave?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:29 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us
Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Rush Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got two waves last week. One from a C4 and another from a C5. No shortage of waves here.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:36 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

1. Some don't know about the wave because this is their first trip into cool cars, you can tell the ones right here in this thread.

2. Some are *******s, you can tell the ones right here in this thread

3. Some people don't see the other vette because other things are going on with the road and/or passenger. They aren't being rude

4. Sometimes they may wave back and you just don't see them for different reasons.

The other day I thought a guy in a C5 was going to break his arm waving at me but I don't know if he saw me return as I just caught him because of traffic.

Then there are times I wave and don't know if they wave back or not. I don't care because I can't change point 1 or point 2.

I wave at the vette, I don't wave at the driver because of point 2.

(this will be my post and response from now on for our weekly wave threads, so remember it please)

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 07-03-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: What happened to the wave?