Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Default Interior Mod Questions

I have not even started on the interior as of yet. Currently I have received the new gauge faces (white) and the aluminum trim rings for the gauges. The Hydro Carbon radio, gauge and door pull bezels are due today. Now for my question for all those great minds on this forum.

I have a Torch Red exterior with all black interior. What I have been thinking of adding besides what I listed above is a little red to the interior to tie in the exterior. My seats are in excellent condition and besides I don't want to layout $1K plus for new seats. I was looking at adding the door grips, the dash grip, a two tone (black & red) shift boot and a two tone console cover. I thought I would do it while I had the dash and console apart. I am concerned that without the two tone seats, lower door panels and kneel bolsters it might not look right. What say you?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,436 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sometimes you just have to take things a little at a time, especially when the costs can get up there. Personally I'm not a fan of putting anything on the dash grab handle - I just don't think it looks that good. You might want to consider a two tone steering wheel and e-brake handle/boot and perhaps the arm rests that go on the doors. Then as funds allow, you can go with new seat covers. I think if you get all those things done, the fact that your lower door panels and knee bolsters are all black will not matter that much.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:42 PM
vvf-16
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will still look fine, the handle grips and shift boot bring in a little color to add a little flavor without over powering, MO anyway. I put them on mine, looks great.....
Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,486 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I think that as long as you keep your end theme in mind, you should be fine. Less is sometimes more.

I agree that the grab handle should be left alone. I personally don't like wraps and would rather have a two-tone leather door pulls like those made by Vette Essentials.

I am desiging my new interior as well and I am keeping in mind the fact that I chose my all-black OEM interior. I want to add some color, however I don't want get away from the fact that I chose the black interior for a reason.

I'm thinking gray/black two-tone seats, shift ****/boot, e-brake/boot, door pulls, center console, steering wheel and lower door panel (gray).
Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Starting point

Red Carpet!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

DJ Motorsports 100% all leather and new cushions, complete interior, I have not had the time to put in the E brake and shifter boots yet! The leather is nice and soft and its been in my car for 2 months and stills smells like leather when I get in.

Best part= $758.00 shipped to my door! Think about it!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Personal

If it was me I would keep the black interior and possibly add a little black carbon. As someone else said, "less can be more" and I don't feel the red would do anything to enrich the interior. CLEAN AND SIMPLE CAN BE ELEGANT. Thats my .02 cents.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dquagliaroli
If it was me I would keep the black interior and possibly add a little black carbon. As someone else said, "less can be more" and I don't feel the red would do anything to enrich the interior. CLEAN AND SIMPLE CAN BE ELEGANT. Thats my .02 cents.
I just received the black HC pieces from Pat at American Hydro Carbon. Those will be going on along with the gauge face change next week. I was just thinking that if I were removing the center console this would be the time to change the shifter boot and center console cover. I think right now I stick to this interior work.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6speed
I have not even started on the interior as of yet. Currently I have received the new gauge faces (white) and the aluminum trim rings for the gauges. The Hydro Carbon radio, gauge and door pull bezels are due today. Now for my question for all those great minds on this forum.

I have a Torch Red exterior with all black interior. What I have been thinking of adding besides what I listed above is a little red to the interior to tie in the exterior. My seats are in excellent condition and besides I don't want to layout $1K plus for new seats. I was looking at adding the door grips, the dash grip, a two tone (black & red) shift boot and a two tone console cover. I thought I would do it while I had the dash and console apart. I am concerned that without the two tone seats, lower door panels and kneel bolsters it might not look right. What say you?
I would maybe skip the dash grip. If you decide to introduce red consider shift boot, emerg brake boot, 2-tone rear console & floor mats. Maybe door grips. I agree with CF front console. No further CF. Don't overkill.

Scroll for different interior pics on the TR/TR mod Z I sold a few months back. Had it just right IMOP but buyer opted for the stock rear console. So we switched it out. Fine with me.

Wished he had opted for the stock hood and OEM forward console as well. They would have been an easy sell. CF looks much better than any pics. Loved the snake skin look. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2742395

Last edited by cor28vettes; 06-07-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Black$heep
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my C5 and took my torch red/black interior accents out before I got rid of it. They are still practically new. Both door pulls, dash grab, the small trim that goes around the traction control button, and both visor covers. I would let them all go for $150.00.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I'm in the same boat. I'm adding little by little as I go, inexpensively until I finally decide on the finished product. I will someday replace my seat skins to match my console cover but that's down the line somewhere. Here's what I have done so far, if it helps.

I ordered the steering wheel cover and ask for red thread. The red in the thread is more like maroon or mag red. So, I will replace the cover one day with a red/black one. And I am going to get some red welt cord to go around the radio bezel. And I'm going to get new floor mats with the welt cord, on the edges, in red if I can find it.

With red Grab handle cover

With speedway/finsihline grab handle.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 09-25-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Who sells those speedway/finishline grab handles pictured above?
I've tried all the usual outlets with no luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Jims2001
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Who sells those speedway/finishline grab handles pictured above?
I've tried all the usual outlets with no luck.
Mid America Motor Works.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

myself
I am not a fan of red on the inside of a red car
Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Didn't see the checkered ones listed at Mid America.

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
myself
I am not a fan of red on the inside of a red car
Also didn't see any listings at your site.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Part # 628-351

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-2-0-7306.html
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Ah - there they are! Thanks!

Grrrr.... now I want the matching seat covers....................
Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,486 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Like you, I had an all-black interior and I wanted to add a little bit of color. In the end, I realized that I chose the black interior for a reason and that I didn't want to ruin the look, just enhance it. If you are only considering shift boots, handles, ***** and perhaps door pulls, I would look at Vette Essentials because they provide actual replacement handles, not just covers.

I have never been a fan of the passenger dash grab handle covers, however below are some ideas. I know you don't want new seat covers, so just look past those on the pics below. Maybe just add the center console cover, shift boot/****, e-brake boot/handle and the door pulls?

First mine...

Some Red/Black combos...

Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Joe Babe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Hot!!! I have black interior with silver carbon accents with silver leather

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Mod Questions

Quick Reply: Interior Mod Questions