Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clear coat issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:52 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

there are a few articles on google, but nothing explains it clearly. this guy has taken a lot of classes for automotive painting, but he said most of the things he knows, they don't teach you in any class.

i really dont see why this is a difficult concept to understand. if you heat up any kind of polymer, it is going to be easier to form.

im not stating this as fact or anything, just that i was told this by a professional.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaberD
im not stating this as fact or anything, just that i was told this by a professional.

Well, I'm a professional bridge salesman and my offer on that fantastic deal still stands!!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have, over my many years, met a lot of "professionals" that i wouldn't allow within 10 feet of my cars!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RSchleder
I have, over my many years, met a lot of "professionals" that i wouldn't allow within 10 feet of my cars!
me too. in fact, about 99% of them.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Way to go guys...all this ranting probably confused the OP and now he's going to take a torch to his car to "heat" up the paint OR sand it down to where it's evenly scratched everywhere.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Big Duk
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do paint work. DO NOT buff the clear till it is hot!!!! we sometimes pin stripe brush clear coat into the scratch allow to dry wet sand w/ 2500 & buff (not agressive) ---assuming the scratch is free of contaminants works 99 out of 100 times. DO NOT GET THE CLEAR HOT W/ WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Duk
DO NOT GET THE CLEAR HOT W/ WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!
You're saying the paint won't melt and fill the scratch????

Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Duk
I do paint work. DO NOT buff the clear till it is hot!!!! we sometimes pin stripe brush clear coat into the scratch allow to dry wet sand w/ 2500 & buff (not agressive) ---assuming the scratch is free of contaminants works 99 out of 100 times. DO NOT GET THE CLEAR HOT W/ WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!
ive done this and learned my lesson.. holograms everywhere.. looked quite psychedelic. might have passed in the 70's?

Originally Posted by DaBoz
You're saying the paint won't melt and fill the scratch????

Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Big Duk
Pro

Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Just fixed some clear coat scratches on the wifeys black car today.Not deep,but wide.

I used the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair kit.Has some compound,3000 & 4000 grit sand paper and some sand paper lube.

I followed the directions and it turned out well using only hand pressure.Followed it up with some Megs polish & Ultimate wax.Looks good.

\db2
carolina
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
Just fixed some clear coat scratches on the wifeys black car today.Not deep,but wide.

I used the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair kit.Has some compound,3000 & 4000 grit sand paper and some sand paper lube.

I followed the directions and it turned out well using only hand pressure.Followed it up with some Megs polish & Ultimate wax.Looks good.

\db2
carolina
take before/after pics? im getting pretty good with my Flex, but im working on getting better at detailing. not trying to compete with the local $8/hr guys or anything, just wanting to get better for my own cars
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sean.b
take before/after pics? im getting pretty good with my Flex, but im working on getting better at detailing. not trying to compete with the local $8/hr guys or anything, just wanting to get better for my own cars
Here's some good info:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...play.php?f=134

Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 PM
FeveredDreams
Advanced

Originally Posted by Faster04
Welcome to the Forum, you may want to fill out your profile if you are going to stay. There are a lot of differnet solutions to your question, you may want to post in the detailing section. However, a good buffer with some quality paint compound/cleaners like Meguiars, Mothers, Griots, etc. will provide the power you need to get the scratches out. Auto geek sells a bunch of products that will help. Meguiars has specific videos on their site that show you how to use their products to do what you are trying to accomplish.
Thanks for the tip about going to Meguiars for their "How To" videos. Getting ready to buff out my 87 and that's really helpful.

Quick Reply: clear coat issue