Sponsored by:

New shifter for my 98

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 PM
BBBob
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shifter for my 98

I am contemplating buying a new shifter for my recently acquired 98 coupe. Any recommendations a on good one? What to avoid??? Thanks in advance!
BB
Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
pjbracing
Instructor

Originally Posted by BBBob
I am contemplating buying a new shifter for my recently acquired 98 coupe. Any recommendations a on good one? What to avoid??? Thanks in advance!
BB
I have tried the original, a C6 Z06, a Hurst and a MGW. I prefer the MGW for everyday driving. It is a little stiffer than stock, shorter throw and comfortable. The C6 is better than the stock C5 but still sloppy and the Hurst is great if you want a stiff shifter probably better for drag racing than street driving. Just my opinion developed with experience over the the past 8 years. I really recommend that you find some other Vette owners with the different shifters in your area and try them yourself. Everyone has a different feel they desire!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM
BBBob
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pjbracing
I have tried the original, a C6 Z06, a Hurst and a MGW. I prefer the MGW for everyday driving. It is a little stiffer than stock, shorter throw and comfortable. The C6 is better than the stock C5 but still sloppy and the Hurst is great if you want a stiff shifter probably better for drag racing than street driving. Just my opinion developed with experience over the the past 8 years. I really recommend that you find some other Vette owners with the different shifters in your area and try them yourself. Everyone has a different feel they desire!
Thanks, that's a good idea on try one. I'm not sure the guys in my Corvette club would let me drive their rides though! Thanks again!!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

i just put in the MGW. I picked it after reading all the posts. I like the way it shifts. Shorter throw,goes 2nd to 3rd real good. Sometimes it rattles pretty bad but not always. Its anoying when it does it.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I've got the B&M Ripper shifter and love it. Some people here don't like the extra effort to get it into 1st & Reverse but it's really not an issue with me and I love everything about it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I tried several and settled on a Hurst just a couple of weeks ago. Let us know where you are and maybe someone is local to you so you can try before you buy.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Hammer99
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have enjoyed the MGW shifter for three driving seasons.

Mine never rattles!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 AM
MCVetteLs6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard good things about the MGW! i want to get one as well, but im not forsure which i should get or where i can get the matching c6 ****!

Get notified of new replies

To New shifter for my 98

Quick Reply: New shifter for my 98