Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How should I add color to calipers?
Prep and Paint Stock Calipers ~$30
77.03%
Purchase $200 MGP Caliper Covers
14.86%
Electric Pickle
8.11%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Paint Brake Calipers or Buy Caliper Covers??

Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 AM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint Brake Calipers or Buy Caliper Covers??

I'm not able to powdercoat my brakes because of cost and namely because I DD my car and can't wait around a few days or weeks to have them done.

I'm doing a huge brake overhaul with GM Performance rotors, hawk HPS pads, and Stoptech braided steel lines. I figured while I'm under there I should do something with the calipers as well to get rid of that cement gray color.

I could paint the calipers with G2 or POR-15 which is rather inexpensive but requires a lot of prepwork if you want it done right so it'll last. The only downside is after a while the brake dust that builds on it and the sun/heat here in South FL can weaken the paint.

OR I could buy a set of MGP's $200 brake caliper covers--which seems a bit expensive for four thin, painted metal pieces...but supposedly it helps keep calipers cool, looks like you've got custom calipers, and will supposedly last a lot longer. I'd plan to purchase the ones that say Corvette instead of MGP.

Here's their install video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgrWW8z-68

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I was thinking about the covers but, I just can't get past the fact that they're meant to make your car look like it has something that it does not. Once I saw fake Brembo caliper covers on a ricer Honda, that was it for me.

I'm actually thinking of polishing the calipers to bring out the polished aluminum look.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM
romeospete
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally don't like the metal covers. I think the painted stock calipers look tons better. I would paint the ones you have.

Here are mine that I removed from the car, taped off, painted, and then sanded off the "CORVETTE" with fine sandpaper and a block of wood:
Attached Images     
Old 05-23-2011, 09:59 AM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I was thinking about the covers but, I just can't get past the fact that they're meant to make your car look like it has something that it does not. Once I saw fake Brembo caliper covers on a ricer Honda, that was it for me.

I'm actually thinking of polishing the calipers to bring out the polished aluminum look.
Yeah I saw those plastic ones too--can you believe people GLUE them on?

Originally Posted by romeospete
I personally don't like the metal covers. I think the painted stock calipers look tons better. I would paint the ones you have.

Here are mine that I removed from the car, taped off, painted, and then sanded off the "CORVETTE" with fine sandpaper and a block of wood:
I like those a lot more than the metal covers too, but the problem is everything that's new looks good. I'm focused on the long haul. What will those calipers look like on a daily driven car in the next two or three years?

I'd go with painting or powdercoating if my car was a garage queen or if I had the time to let her sit in a garage torn a part for a few weeks but I simply don't have that option.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Most hate on the covers, but they actually look good in person. I saw some this weekend at a show.

I choose paint. It's too easy to do and the price is right.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those caliper covers are tacky as hell. Go with paint on the cheap.

You can get powdercoated calipers to you - advanced exchange.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
DevilMan02
Drifting

I got a quote for $200 to have the calipers removed, prepped, and painted by my local shop. They're good and I'm sure they'll do a nice job but now I see why the covers are priced as such. I thought it would be a lot cheaper to have them painted, but I guess it's not.

I don't have access to a garage or a space I can work on the car so painting the calipers myself isn't possible at this point in time.

I haven't seen the covers in person--but I tend to lean towards the "tacky" opinion as well.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paint
Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think what most hate about the covers is that they painted on the bolts.... Thats cheezie..

What I would do is buy a set.. have thoes repainted or better yet polished out.. that would look a whole lot better..

Last edited by BitViper; 08-04-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, if the caliper covers had actual bolt heads - you know looked more like a caliper and less like a playschool item (which it should for the cost) then it might be pretty cool.
The following users liked this post:
Gcbegoon (04-14-2018)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 AM
tremor1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
paint
Yep.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Go to Home Cheapo, buy some Rustoleum and a brush. Did mine 5 years ago and they still look like new.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Paint-Covers are for ricers
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Personally, I would paint them before going with the aluminum covers. I think they just look better. You could also contact thepowdercoater.com and inquire about a caliper exchange program they offer - not much more than the covers and they look great.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Paint them, it'll look much better than those covers.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have to agree with everyone on the covers. They may look good from a distance, but up close they look like exactly what they are fakes. Your driving an expensive sports car, so don't cheapen it with the covers.
I painted mine 5 years ago and I too live in Florida. They still look fine, but you will need to make sure you clean them regularly. If you but the Caliper Paint Kit, and do as it instructs you won't have any issues. It comes with a cleaner to remove all the brake dust that is built up and the paint and brush. I did mine on the car. If you have yours off (which it sounds like you do or will) you can also get a can of brake cleaner and soon high temp spray paint if you don't want to brush them. After they are dry, you can remove the paint from the letters with a razor blade or some paint remover but make sure with teh paint remover you only touch the raised letter.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think they look better painted. When I was planning my brakes/rotors/wheels overhaul last year I bought a complete set of calipers from corvetterecycling and painted them myself, I figured it would be easier to do with them off the car. After I had everything installed I sold my old set here on the forum so the cost of the calipers was pretty much a wash.

Name:  calipers.jpg
Views: 6438
Size:  49.8 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Brake Calipers or Buy Caliper Covers??

Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6speed
I have to agree with everyone on the covers. They may look good from a distance, but up close they look like exactly what they are fakes. Your driving an expensive sports car, so don't cheapen it with the covers.
I painted mine 5 years ago and I too live in Florida. They still look fine, but you will need to make sure you clean them regularly. If you but the Caliper Paint Kit, and do as it instructs you won't have any issues. It comes with a cleaner to remove all the brake dust that is built up and the paint and brush. I did mine on the car. If you have yours off (which it sounds like you do or will) you can also get a can of brake cleaner and soon high temp spray paint if you don't want to brush them. After they are dry, you can remove the paint from the letters with a razor blade or some paint remover but make sure with teh paint remover you only touch the raised letter.

this is what I did 2 yrs ago - I drive it every day and the paint has held up very well. They will all get dirty (including covers) but are easy enough to clean - car soap and a sponge make them look new. I kept the pint and have touched up 2 little chips (road debris??) It really is easy to do - expecailly if you are rmoving the calipers anyway and the brush-on stuff smooths out very well... no bruch strokes.

all that said, I think the idea in an earlier post to polish the calipers sounds very interesting.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Now these are cheezie..

Painting is the easiest... buying the covers and repainitng them WITHOUT the fake bolts is second.

Ive actually condidered the MGP covers... its also the 200 bucks price of entry steep for what they are

Last edited by BitViper; 05-23-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to be in the minority here but I like the MGP covers.

Name:  Calipers.jpg
Views: 5936
Size:  110.0 KB

The whole "ricer" thing is bs imo. There are a TON of items people put on vettes all the time to make them look better yet adds no performance value to your car.

If you like the look of Caliper covers buy them. They are a hell of a lot easier to clean then calipers, painted or not.

Also, they bolt on rock solid. easy install too.

Last edited by Razzputon; 05-23-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Brake Calipers or Buy Caliper Covers??