Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have the gas gauge problem intermittently?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone else have the gas gauge problem intermittently?

I've only had my 2003 Z06 a short time and put gas in the car three times. I had the dreaded "gas gauge dropping to zero" problem during the first tank, so I did some research on this forum and learned about the Techron fix. I had already filled the tank a second time before I found out about Techron, so I drove the car until I had less than a quarter tank and added the first batch of Techron. However, the gas gauge didn't drop to zero even at a quarter tank with the second fill-up.

I just got back from a 70 mile drive and this time the fuel gauge dropped to zero at just above a half a tank.

Here is a summary of what happened:

First fill-up:- 93 octane Kwik fill gas: Gauge dropped to zero at 1/2 tank

Second fill-up: 93 Octane Sunoco gas: Gauge didn't drop to zero with a 1/4 tank left

Third fill-up: 93 Octane Sunoco gas + Techron: Gauge dropped to zero at just above 1/2 tank

I assumed that this problem would happen every time until the Techron took care of the issue. Anyone else have an intermittent problem like this?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Highpower500;1577676397]I've only had my 2003 Z06 a short time and put gas in the car three times. I had the dreaded "gas gauge dropping to zero" problem during the first tank, so I did some research on this forum and learned about the Techron fix. I had already filled the tank a second time before I found out about Techron, so I drove the car until I had less than a quarter tank and added the first batch of Techron. However, the gas gauge didn't drop to zero even at a quarter tank with the second fill-up.

I just got back from a 70 mile drive and this time the fuel gauge dropped to zero at just above a half a tank.

Here is a summary of what happened:

First fill-up:- 93 octane Kwik fill gas: Gauge dropped to zero at 1/2 tank

Second fill-up: 93 Octane Sunoco gas: Gauge didn't drop to zero with a 1/4 tank left

Third fill-up: 93 Octane Sunoco gas + Techron: Gauge dropped to zero at just above 1/2 tank

I assumed that this problem would happen every time until the Techron took care of the issue. Anyone else have an intermittent problem like this?[/QUOTE
My wife’s Cadillac did this a year ago - only fix was to pay my mechanic almost a 1,000 bucks to drop the tank plus sending units?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:09 PM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change this post to Who hasn't had the gas gauge problem intermittently? I am having it now, tried the techron thing, worked for a 1/2 tank. I'm guessing the wire in the sensor is broke at a certain point. It comes and goes but is really starting to get on my nerves, going to install a new sending unit soon.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Boulty1961
Racer

SeaFoam may help fix this. Run it in the gas just like Techron. People have posted that they have used both.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:17 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

There are 3 separate possibilities
1. the sensors are fouled.... you need a good fuel system cleaner.
and switch to a better gas.... www.toptiergas.com
I use Shell V-Power and have 135K miles without a gas gauge issue

2. You have a bad ground.... find it and clean it

3. One or both of your sensors is faulty... remove and replace ...
There is at least one forum DIY.... remove rear wheel and access the sensor via the wheel well....
Old 05-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 97 that has showed this rarely (knock on wood) with Techron treatment once a year. My suggestion is use Mobil premium gas only. It is the ONLY gas I put in since 4k miles to now 70k miles, women want chocolate and flowers - cars want premium gas. 10 years going strong and of course Mobil gas is the most expensive in the Chicagoland area

Last edited by Humy; 05-21-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Tom Hudson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boulty1961
SeaFoam may help fix this. Run it in the gas just like Techron. People have posted that they have used both.
I used both - didn't help in my case - tom
Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
It often takes several treatments with Techron or Sea Foam or some other fuel system cleaner.
Exactly what I was going to say. Mine took about 2-3 months of using Chevron gas that has the techron in it and the bottle of the stuff to get it to work properly. Haven't had any issues for a while now but I only use the Chevron gas,
Old 05-22-2011, 04:55 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Humy
10 years going strong and of course Mobil gas is the most expensive in the Chicagoland area
Pretty damn expensive here in New Jerseyland as well, along with Exxon and Sunoco !
Old 05-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sometimes it does take a few treatments to clean the sending units and make the gauge work again. I'd add another bottle at the next fill-up and see if it helps. If not, you may have a case where you need to replace the sending units.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Yeah, the fuel gauge in these things have a mind of their own. Mine goes up then down then up then down. But it hasn't went to zero yet. I've seafoamed and techroned.

In all my life I have never seen the weird crap like this until I bought a vette. Makes absolutely no sense.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

I wasn't sure if this problem comes and goes or if it would happen all the time. I'll make a few more attempts at the Techron fix. The last time, I dumped in two 12 ounce bottles of Techron when I ran out of gas.

For some reason, my car thinks it only holds 13 gallons and won't transfer gas from the second tank. 13 gallons was all I could force into it when I ran out. Luckily, I was close to a gas station. If the second tank stays full and doesn't transfer to the primary tank, it makes me wonder if the Techron is even getting to both tanks.

As far as gas goes, all we have around here are Sunoco, Mobil, and some independent dealers, no Chevron.

Last edited by Highpower500; 05-22-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:32 PM
art43
Cruising

Let me just add to your dilemma. I have a 04 with about 140,000 miles it. When I first purchased the vehicle I took it back to the dealer for this problem. They removed the tanks and replaced the sensors. This helped for a while but after the warranty ran out the problem continued. I have of late been burning nothing but mobile gas. I have also put addictions through it multiple times with out much success. I have noticed one thing and that is the problem occurs mostly with warmer temperatures outside.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:46 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

I've got a 2001, the gauge is slowly but surely getting worse. It now works properely only at around 1/2 tank. I use good gas and have spent alot on Techron additive. Not looking forward to replacing the sensors! I believe I read somewhere that code clearing or some type of DIC reset can buy some time?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Tom, just keep adding the Techron, it'll eventually work and much cheaper than tearing the car apart to replace the fuel sender.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I'm going to use some of my slightly perverted logic here. The problem seems to come from deposits on the sensors in the tanks. The failure occurs at 1/2 tank range of a fillup. thus it seems the area that is corroded/depositcontaminated is near the half tank area of the sensor. Adding techron below that level likely doesn't affect the area in need.

Fill you tank add techron and check the results after you run a tank or two out of the car.

Worth a try. good luck, It took awhile for me to put this logic to use, but it worked for me.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the problem and Techron worked after a few months of monthly use.

I wonder if you put a pump on the gas tank to a 25 gal barrel and with Techron in the tank pump in and pump out several times to get the sensor to work the deposits off. Would be dangerous working with fuel so I'm not saying anyone should do it. Maybe some Corvette shop could put a safe setup in the shop to do it?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
I had the problem and Techron worked after a few months of monthly use.

I wonder if you put a pump on the gas tank to a 25 gal barrel and with Techron in the tank pump in and pump out several times to get the sensor to work the deposits off. Would be dangerous working with fuel so I'm not saying anyone should do it. Maybe some Corvette shop could put a safe setup in the shop to do it?
Would it be dangerous?

Oh hell yes it would.
Have you ever seen a gallon of gas ignite?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Big Duk
Pro

THIS IS WIERD!! i never had the problem & added techron as a pm thing. BUT the last time i topped off my tank, i filled it till overflow by accident then my gauge went to empty w/ lights etc. if i would snap the steering wheel l&r it would correct itself then come back a min. later! after driving 40 miles it returned to normal if there is such a thing. 04 coupe

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else have the gas gauge problem intermittently?

Quick Reply: Anyone else have the gas gauge problem intermittently?