Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnesium Wheels - New tires tomorrow - installation concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Chriscam21
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Magnesium Wheels - New tires tomorrow - installation concerns?

Picking up my first corvette today -1999 coupe. Sorry, this is posted in another thread about the tires, but I thought I would get this to the top. Having the tires put on tomorrow.

Anthing I should be watching out for during the installation of the tires or anything I need to tell the installers before the work begins. Are Magnesium Wheels any different than standard wheels as far as the tire installation goes. How about balancing and weights.

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Take your car to a place that has modern mounting equipment and let them know that the paint on these wheels will chip if you look at them wrong. Also have them mount the weights inside the barrel and not on the lip. They'll have to mount them somewhat inboard in order to clear the calipers.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Chriscam21
Racer

I am picking the car up today, but it noticed in the pictures that I took that the wheels have stick on weights on the inside of the rim (outside). Is this common?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:52 AM
BRTC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy just had his wheels done at a shop His are on the outside. They say that it is the best way to do the weights. It is the way they mount their race set ups. The shop said they would re do the weights if it bothered him. With the Mags I would specify where you wanted them. To answer your question, yes, it is normal.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:01 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

This:

Old 05-20-2011, 10:02 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Chriscam21
I am picking the car up today, but it noticed in the pictures that I took that the wheels have stick on weights on the inside of the rim (outside). Is this common?

Mine are inside....
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Forum and Vette ownership. I love those wheels.

I have the thin spokes. I had them install the weights on the inside and they have been fine. I hope they can get the weights off your wheels without marking them.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:58 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Make sure the shop you take it too is familiar with lifting C5's and make sure YOU have a set of lifting pucks just in case the shop doesn't.

I just had my wheels swapped out for new ones and i had to insert my own pucks so they can lift the car. Needless to say I stood over the installer through out the entire process. As a matter of fact, the shop Manager insisted i do so. "You Corvette Owners are a funny picky bunch" was his comment.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

From the factory the weights are stuck on the outside lip as well as on the inside. You used to be able to buy wheel weights that matched the color of the magnesium wheel but I'm not sure if they are available anymore - try Gene at gmpartshouse.com. If not, you can get some touch up paint that you could apply to the weights - not sure if it would last but it might be worth a try.

Eckler’s: 12346496 code N73 WA 163D

Dupli-Color touch up NG GM 507 Light Bronzemist Metallic (GM code 54 WA534F) is a perfect match. Was found at Pep Boys.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would have never let them mount those weights on the outside of the wheel! That looks awful.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Chriscam21
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
From the factory the weights are stuck on the outside lip as well as on the inside. You used to be able to buy wheel weights that matched the color of the magnesium wheel but I'm not sure if they are available anymore - try Gene at gmpartshouse.com. If not, you can get some touch up paint that you could apply to the weights - not sure if it would last but it might be worth a try.

Eckler’s: 12346496 code N73 WA 163D

Dupli-Color touch up NG GM 507 Light Bronzemist Metallic (GM code 54 WA534F) is a perfect match. Was found at Pep Boys.
Spoke with the installer, I am going to remove the weights prior to the tire installation and have them install the new weights on the inside of the rim. Hopefully I can get the weights off and remove the adhesive with one of those Natural Orange type of adhesive removers without scratching the wheels.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Chriscam21
Racer

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I would have never let them mount those weights on the outside of the wheel! That looks awful.
Me either, it was the original owner. Guess they didn't care. Hopefully I can get them off without scratching. New ones go inside.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:59 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I have never seen the weights mounted like that either. Definitely tell them ahead of time that you want the weights mounted on the inside of the rim.

What tires did you end up going with?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

If you have the original sensors I would think about replacing them when you get new tires. If they are the original sensors they're at the end of their life span. I'd hate to risk damage down the road replacing the sensors 6 months from now. Look for a shop that has a Hunter touchless machine and a tech that knows Corvettes. If you have lifting pucks take them with you, not all shops have them. Once home check the lugs with a torque wrench 100 fp. Bill

Last edited by Bill Vett; 05-20-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Chriscam21
Racer

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket
I have never seen the weights mounted like that either. Definitely tell them ahead of time that you want the weights mounted on the inside of the rim.

What tires did you end up going with?
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP(Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Chriscam21
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
If you have the original sensors I would think about replacing them when you get new tires. If they are the original sensors they're at the end of their life span. I'd hate to risk damage down the road replacing the sensors 6 months from now. Look for a shop that has a Hunter touchless machine and a tech that knows Corvettes. If you have lifting pucks take them with you, not all shops have them. Once home check the lugs with a torque wrench 100 fp. Bill
Thanks for the info
Old 05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Chriscam21
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
Question: Car only has 28,000 miles on it, is time a factor with the life of the sensors or is miles the factor in determining the life of the sensor?

Get notified of new replies

To Magnesium Wheels - New tires tomorrow - installation concerns?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by BRTC5
My buddy just had his wheels done at a shop His are on the outside. They say that it is the best way to do the weights. It is the way they mount their race set ups. The shop said they would re do the weights if it bothered him. With the Mags I would specify where you wanted them. To answer your question, yes, it is normal.
Maybe normal for you, But any good shop won't put the weights on the outside if they have any pride in what they do. I always tell them to make sure the weights are on the inside and they always look at me funny and say "We don't do that type of work here"...lol
Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Question: Car only has 28,000 miles on it, is time a factor with the life of the sensors or is miles the factor in determining the life of the sensor?
I think they go into a kind of "sleep" mode when the car isn't being driven but they still might draw a little power. I had new tires put on last year and even though my sensors were functioning fine I chose to replace them. I've read that they can last 10 years, sometimes less, sometimes more but I didn't want to have to pull the tires off of my new rims again for awhile.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The factory manual states exactly where the weights must go depending on type.

Quick Reply: Magnesium Wheels - New tires tomorrow - installation concerns?