Sponsored by:

Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Ssbarbr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter storage

I just bought my first corvette. 97 great condition 27,000 miles. I will not be driving it in the winter. I have a detached garage fully insulated (except the garage door). Is there anything I need to do besides park it and put the cover on? It does not have heat or A/C.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 PM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Some folks put a battery tender. Check out CTEK.

That's what I use during Chicago winters.

Les
Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

A bit early to be talking about winter storage!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:46 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
A bit early to be talking about winter storage!
If you are putting her up, treat the fuel and hook up a battery tender.

I would also suggest cleaning EVERYTHING very well, putting a few charcoal brickettes in a bowl and placing them in the floorboard and rear area.

Now, that all said, I would just drive the damn thing
Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 AM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Change the oil and filter, put the car on jack-stands to prevent flat spotting the tires, hook up a battery tender (or disconnect the battery)and cover. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

OBD
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Qweklain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO

If you are putting her up, treat the fuel and hook up a battery tender.

I would also suggest cleaning EVERYTHING very well, putting a few charcoal brickettes in a bowl and placing them in the floorboard and rear area.

Now, that all said, I would just drive the damn thing
He has got it pretty much spot on. Another thing you could do if you wanted to go another step is get some Race Ramps (or some other) Flatstoppers to prevent flat-spotting the tires. However, if research/knowledge is correct, todays tires will kick out flat spots within 10-20 miles of driving anyways.

I live in Minnesota and I will be driving mine all year long as it will be my only vehicle! I actually am pretty excited to see how it performs in snow and I will be sure to post pictures of it covered in the white fluff to rile up most people here!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssbarbr
I just bought my first corvette. 97 great condition 27,000 miles. I will not be driving it in the winter. I have a detached garage fully insulated (except the garage door). Is there anything I need to do besides park it and put the cover on? It does not have heat or A/C.
I would move to better Climate so I could drive her yr round I dont know how you all in the east can do this.

Pops
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ssbarbr
I've stored mine for 12-years from the end of October into April. I change the oil, fill the gas tank, add Stabil, and over inflate the tires. I also disconnect the negative battery terminal. I've never used a charger and my car has always fired up the first time. I put dryer sheets and about 10 bars of Irish Spring soap in my car to keep the mice out. Obviously, you want to make sure your car is clean and covered.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

CTEK 3300 trickle charger if u have elect in your garage. I also live in the snow belt but take out the vette when the roads are dry & pretty much salt free. I do a yearly oil/filter change ea spring. I like to add some Techron to the gas tank. U can add insulation to your garage door (foam sheets from your home center cut to size). p.s. maybe some mouse traps in the garage just in case. p.p.s. I wouldn't worry about flat spotting on the radial tires, put some extra lbs of air in the tires.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Ssbarbr
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions. Honestly the mice are my greatest concern. It's a really nice garage but last year we found mice had gotten in our Christmas tree box. I put traps out and they never went off so I'd say there are none present. But you never know. I've heard horror stories about them chewing wires up. And I am driving the crap out of it just wondering if I needed to get things ready in my garage for it.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you can buy a car cover that you drive onto and then zip closed. Maybe that's an option for you.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I've stored mine for 12-years from the end of October into April. I change the oil, fill the gas tank, add Stabil, and over inflate the tires. I also disconnect the negative battery terminal. I've never used a charger and my car has always fired up the first time. I put dryer sheets and about 10 bars of Irish Spring soap in my car to keep the mice out. Obviously, you want to make sure your car is clean and covered.
I've been storing cars over the winter for over 30 years (not 12) and the above is pretty much what I do also... I no longer put them up on jack stands but over inflate the tires BUT I do connect a battery tender to the battery.. The dryer sheets and Irish Spring Soap is the most important thing ..unfortunately I learned that only about 10 or so years ago after the nice dined on the wiring under the dash of one of my cars.. The Oil is put in in November comes out in April after I drive the car a few miles... MY with my C5 however I just could not bring myself to tossing Mobil 1 away so I run the car a year with Mobil 1 in it and replace it wehn I store the car the following winter

Bob G
64 72 and 98 Convertibles
76 79 and an 88 35th ANC Coupes
Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,481 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

All good tips. A few more...

When I lived in Chicago, I used to store mine for the winter as well. I had a cement floor in a non-heated garage. As a result, I would lay down a sheet of plastic drop cloth and then install 4 of the rubber 14" square floor tiles they sell at Home Depot. I would then over-inflate the tires a few pounds and then drive the car onto the rubber floor tiles which would then raise the tires off the plastic/floor and at the same time hold down the plastic. This helps prevent moisture condensation.

I would throw in those moisture packets in the interior and then hook the car up to my battery charger and put on the car cover.

I also like the idea of Irish Spring or something else to deter the mice. They like warm cars in the winter.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I never store a car with the battery installed incase it decides to start puking acid. Remove it and put a trickle charger on it.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Stingray_21
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stingray_21

I agree with the person from Chicago...his recommendation is what we do in cold Ontario Canada. Many of us also put a gas additive in the fuel tank or at minimum a gas line antifreeze to keep moisture out of the tank and fuel system. Not a bad idea to start it a few times throughout the winter... Cheers !
Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I recommend losing the cover and using high quality sheets if it's staying in the garage.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM
OkieBikerDude
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Something that a friend of mine swears by is Moth ***** in the car and scatered around on the floor. I have no first hand experience but he has never had a problem with his RV's or travel trailers.

Anyone else heard of this?

OBD

Get notified of new replies

To Winter storage

Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude
Something that a friend of mine swears by is Moth ***** in the car and scatered around on the floor. I have no first hand experience but he has never had a problem with his RV's or travel trailers.

Anyone else heard of this?

OBD
yeah but it takes a while to get the moth ball smell out. Some people also have good luck with irish Spring soap while others do not.

I have used moth ***** in my PU and it worked for me. I also put them in my shed.

I recommend putting them in the garage around the car but maybe not inside unless he finds out he needs them.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:32 PM
FRITZM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Mice

TRY THIS. http://www.drugstore.com/earthkind-f...0?catid=184447
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Here is what I do when I get ready to put mine up for the winter:

* Change the oil and filter
* Put Sta-Bil in the gas tank and fill the tank up
* Put a piece of carpet under each tire and add maybe 5 extra pounds of air to the tires.
* If you have any pest problems (mice, etc.) you might want to put something in the car to keep them away.
* A good car cover will help keep the dust off the painted surfaces - just get one that breathes well and is soft on the surface that touches the paint.
* Get a good battery tender (something like a CTEK or Battery Tender Plus). Will keep the battery in top shape.

I have some Word files about winter storage - if you would like a copy, just PM me your e-mail address.

Quick Reply: Winter storage