Sponsored by:

Vararam VR2B install

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

If and when I ever get headers I'm going to try one of these. Not sure why, my car is plenty fast enough for me so we will see. I would think they have to work though,..........air in-air out= gains.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled out of the driveway, turned left, punched it, and almost lost it. With the traction control ON!
Are you sure that was do to Vararam? Even their web site states the ram air effect does not happen until 65+Mph, this is why the system never shows any viable gains on the dyno. Maybe the anticipation from the lengthy install made you press the pedal little harder? The two units I got in the past were POS. The the quality and fitment was horrible. Both units went back to seller, I just could not live with 1/2" gaps around fog light area and sub par filter that leaked everywhere allowing dirt to be sucked into my engine. Just my 02.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
JEC's1996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Vararam in my truck once and it looked like it was hacked sawed in the factory, in my truck wasn't a big deal. In my Vette I'm not looking for it to look bad.

I'll pass
Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 AM
MOTOXAZ
Advanced

Yeah I am mainly just in it for the mpg gains and hell gaining hp isn't bad either Anyone buy and install one of these lately? Supposedly the new generation has improvements and fits better. Anyone know?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Leviathan1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MOTOXAZ
Yeah I am mainly just in it for the mpg gains and hell gaining hp isn't bad either Anyone buy and install one of these lately? Supposedly the new generation has improvements and fits better. Anyone know?
Just installed mine recently. Love it. I'd not consider another. Install? Challenging could be somewhat annoying but again well worth it!!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 AM
MOTOXAZ
Advanced

And what are your justifications as to y it was worth it? Do you notice power gains and mpg increase?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Leviathan1
Heel & Toe

@Motoxaz
Definite improvement in MPG and I can feel and improvement in throttle response. The car really just framed to come much more alive and hungry. Because of time constraints and the desire to feel the difference each mod made (I ordered The new vararam, Borla Stingers II , and X-Pipe at the same time but the x-pipe was a week n a half behind in delivery) anyway I did the Stingers first, Definite sound increase loved the sound, during shifting and deceleration the "gurgling" was nasty and couldn't wait for the x-pipe.
Waited on the X did that next--- major difference well worth it really controlled the tone sounds beautiful.
Vararam really iced the cake installed nabe a week following the X. WOWZERZ!!!!! the combination these are outstanding and I was able to evaluate the changes in stages as opposed to an all at once add on. Seems the Vararam really opened it up....I'm happy with all of the mods (No drone on my stingers II)
Only regret is I might have to get rid of my brand new Borla X to get an X that accommodates a header purchase.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I can't comment on the HP increases, I know that sucking fresh air from outside the engine compartment verses from within will be benifical to performance.
I "feel" a difference with the Vararam & powerduct installed, is it psychological?
Once the engine was tuned after the instal, with other tweaks my C5 came alive!
Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDVS1
The "gaps" allow for flexibility once the VR is attached to the light openings. Really, it's a separate piece that is then loosely held on with bolts and some jam nuts. This is actually quite an improvement over the original design that required spacers because of the rigid design. The new generation is an easier install and the quality is much improved. Yup, they work, just take your time with the install and get everything lined up nicely.
Any reason these gaps should not be closed with Gorilla Tape or similar?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flynhi
Any reason these gaps should not be closed with Gorilla Tape or similar?
Any opinions on this?

Quick Reply: Vararam VR2B install