Had a Kenwood KDC-995 installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:15 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Had a Kenwood KDC-X995 installed

I was having trouble with my CD changer, sometimes all speakers worked other times only the right side worked, and also wanted a way to plug my BB into the OEM head unit to play music loaded on it, so I went to a local shop that I've used before.

They said it would run about $160 to add the cable for the BB, but I would not be able to use the CD changer any longer. So I asked what about just replacing the OEM head unit, which had a cassette deck , with a new in-dash unit that came with all the new connections built right in.

I finally decided on the Kenwood KDC-995 because it had all the current inputs/outputs and included Bluetooth; HD Radio; Pandora; 5 lines of text diplay; USB port to connect an Ipod/phone/Flashdrive; CD Player; etc. Total install price was $495.00 plus tax. Yeah, I wish I had the b*lls to install myself Here is a link to Kenwoods site, hope it is ok to post it: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ivers/KDC-X995 See installed pics in post below.

Although a double din set up is nice, and my son really was pushing me to get one, I really didn't want to spend anymore than I was already...considering I just went in for a stupid cable.

Here are my initial pros and cons on the Kenwood:

I'm able to play music from my BB using either the headphone input or the USB input. The USB connection allows the head unit to control all of the BB functions for music playback and basically reads it as a removable drive, plus it keeps the BB charged. I also used a flash drive with downloaded music.

I don't have an Ipod, but my son brought his over and we were able to control it through the head unit as well, using the USB port. There is an option to let you control the Ipod directly if, lets say, your passenger wanted to while you were driving. It also charges the Ipod while the head unit is on.

Lots of ways to customize the look of text and colors of the head unit.

BT, powered by Parrot, worked great with my BB curve 8330. It pairs automatically when I enter the car, downloads my phone book, has voice calling, and caller ID appears on the deck...true hands free phoning. Sound comes through the cars speakers, front/rear or all and the mic is mounted discretely on the steering wheel column. Calls to friends and family said the call sounded very good, while their voices were very clear.

Overall, speaker sound is much clearer and defined in the mid to upper ranges when listening to music, however, I'm very disappointed in the bass response compared to my OEM unit...this Kenwood sounds a little tinny My son and I tried every setting we could. Going back to the installer to find out if there is any way possible to improve that, short of him recommending a sub woofer install.

Another negative was losing the RAP. The installer said he could get it to work, but that it would require another part which was costly?

Kinda miss the ease of just pressing the preprogrammed station buttons and the ability to auto scan all of them for a few seconds. However, the Kenwood has 18 preset spots, which are easy enough to get to.

Also, the unit will not turn power on in the "acc" position, only in the "on" position which also turns on the DLR's and gauges, etc. This puts a lot of drain on the battery, which after about a 1/2 of playing with the Kenwoods settings drained my battery to the point that I almost couldn't get the car to start. Never had this problem with the OEM unit. I have searched in the Audio Forum and it looks like there may be a way to accomplish turning poweering it in the on position.

The biggest complaint I have is the glare off the head units glass display. It's great having 5 lines of info and all these neat colors to play with, but if you can't see the damn thing during the day what good is it. Some have recommended an anti glare/scratch film that people use on their Ipods/phones cut to the proper fit. I will give that a try.

Conclusion:

It's definitely nice to have an updated unit in the car, the cassette deck really dated it. With the few exceptions that I stated, I believe that this is a great unit for the money, especially for all the things it comes bundled with. I think its just a matter of getting familiar with the functions of this unit over time. My 22 year old son gave it a thumbs up too. Sorry for such a long thread.

Last edited by Mr31FlavorsVette; 04-26-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review, enjoy

Chuck
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Sidieux
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know. How does the unit look, meaning how natural does it look, or does it look out of place? I am looking to update the unit in my car as well. I just dont know what looks as clean as the OEM unit. I know the 2din units look nice, I just dont know if I want to go cutting brackets out and all that...decisions.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Nice new deck you have and a great price
Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sidieux
Good to know. How does the unit look, meaning how natural does it look, or does it look out of place? I am looking to update the unit in my car as well. I just dont know what looks as clean as the OEM unit. I know the 2din units look nice, I just dont know if I want to go cutting brackets out and all that...decisions.
I was a little more critical of the look, but my brother and son both said it looked good. Here are a few pics, judge for your self.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I installed the Kenwood 994 unit. It's really the same as yours. I think the 995 is this years model. I did the install myself with the help of Mark over on the audio forum. I did wire in the GMRAP unit. It only cost like $30 and I'm really glad I did that. If you really wanted to add that I could help you out with the wiring diagram.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
I installed the Kenwood 994 unit. It's really the same as yours. I think the 995 is this years model. I did the install myself with the help of Mark over on the audio forum. I did wire in the GMRAP unit. It only cost like $30 and I'm really glad I did that. If you really wanted to add that I could help you out with the wiring diagram.
Thanks so much, I stopped by the installer today and voiced my concerns. He asked to bring it in tomorrow and said he would hook up the RAP; have it power up in the "acc" position, and fix the bass issue...we shall see
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I had that unit installed on mine and I HATED it!! It didn't have enough room in the back to mount flush, so it looked terrible. I couldn't read the screen most of the time because of the glare. Just to find a radio station took several steps. Why do modern radio designers think it's better with no radio buttons? It even sounded worse than the factory radio. I kept the bose speakers. After about a week, I popped for a DD Pioneer P3300BT. What a great unit! Makes even those crappy bose speakers sound like high dollar ones. It looks great and you don't need an engineering degree to work it.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by outwest nv.
I had that unit installed on mine and I HATED it!! It didn't have enough room in the back to mount flush, so it looked terrible. I couldn't read the screen most of the time because of the glare. Just to find a radio station took several steps. Why do modern radio designers think it's better with no radio buttons? It even sounded worse than the factory radio. I kept the bose speakers. After about a week, I popped for a DD Pioneer P3300BT. What a great unit! Makes even those crappy bose speakers sound like high dollar ones. It looks great and you don't need an engineering degree to work it.
Mine installed flush, I mean it doesn't appear to protrude any further than the a/c unit. The glare is one of the issues most people are having with these types of screens. I don't understand why they don't make them with an anti-glare screen. I also agree about the buttons, I do miss them, but I just hold the remote in my hand and click away. Don't even have to lean forward to push anything

The reviews that I could find for this unit, because it is so new, have all been very positive. I'm hoping that once it gets tweeked a little bit by the installer, I'll learn to love it...or breakdown and buy a DD
Old 04-30-2011, 03:39 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Update

Found out that the problem I was not getting any bass response with the stock Bose was because the installer used the wrong wiring harness. He replaced it with the correct one which not only made this unit sound great, but also retained the RAP feature.

One day I'll add a sub and new speakers, but for now I'm very pleased!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 AM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys might try using the anti-glare screens they use for the Ipads. They can be cut to size & might solve your problems. Maybe worth looking in to.

Tracer1

Get notified of new replies

To Had a Kenwood KDC-995 installed

Quick Reply: Had a Kenwood KDC-995 installed