Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Laser Jammer on C5/Z06, Questions

I have searched in the past and found some info, but I want to see if any new C5 or C5 Z06 owners have added a Laser Jammer to there Corvettes.

I am having one installed early next week and just want your thoughts and experiences on how & where to install on a Z06. The issue is the front grill screens. That is the perfect location to mount them, but I would have to cut the mesh screen to mount them. It would be a small cut, probably a 3 down x 5 across section cut, about the size of iPhone. Flame Suit On-if I decide to cut. The location I am leaning towards is in the air ducts to the far left and right openings.
I think the bottom of the car is just too low, but have seen some folks mount them there.

The rears, I am set with mounting them in the slots in the back of the rear fascia. Not in the license plate area, where most cars have them mounted. Most others mount them there because the rear of most vehicles don't have a good mounting location.

Please post up your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks and pictures will be posted once the project is completed.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
MNR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been interested in this as well. I searched but didnt find anything like this.

Free bump
Old 04-19-2011, 06:14 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have your mind set on it and that its going to work for you then it will work but the jammers do not jam a police Ka or any other type of radar.
You will be able to pick them up like a normal radar detector but I"ve played with , seen , hurt a lot of guys feelings and been trucking for 30+ years, seen it all, and nothing will cause their read out to be altered. You can't scatter a signal with enough power to alter something that is not within 20 to 30 feet from you on High Freq. Low is a different story but radar is not low. Run a 4kw 24 inch radar on the boat I turned up to right at 6kw and it will not "Fuzz" another boats radar unless i'm sitting beside it.
Thats a KA I upped the wattage between the seats. Transducer is in the top right window by the gloves and Trigger is black box you can just barely see at its left. Just a toy but I have one I play with on the truck and that ones on the dodge camping unit.
Its like anything else. If you feel it helps you then its worth it but honestly its not going to save you a ticket. The receiver part of it will if your not the main target but don't put a lot of faith in what sells when its a federal issue for them to make it, sell it, and you to own it. So where does this leave your jammer.....
They have the right to name it anything they want to but who did they have to go through to get the license to sell it being a electronic receiver.. THE FCC
I roll about 150,000 miles each year OTR. Be in your neck of the woods in NJ in the morning. Been years without a ticket on the hwy and the truck I have is a horse, but lock her down 7 over and ride. HP is not going to bother you under 9mph over the posted unless your changing lanes playing race car and being followed.
Good luck with the new toy and again, the detector part will work just fine.....

Last edited by liveaboard74; 04-19-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there's no such thing as a radar jammer that's legal, works, and mobile.

the OP is talking about laser jammers.

just try to make it pretty well hidden. also fwiw I thought most mounted laser jammers near the plate because that plate is usually the target for laser anyway. you want to jam near the point being targeted, laser works better if light is reflected, that's why headlights and plates are the usual target.

and you do realize that most laser equipment has an indicator to let the cop know its being jammed right? you might be going 5 over where you wouldn't normally get any unwanted attention anyway and then suddenly keep getting pulled over every couple days for not having a front plate (NJ requires them doesn't it?), exhaust too loud, who knows what else.

there's nothing like driving in a Corvette, stay legal and enjoy the ride longer.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, I was going to do this too, but I found it's kind of pointless on a C5.

The C5 has a very low laser profile if you don't have a front plate. I don't. I've watched cops try to laser me all the way up to the point that I'm passing them, which is pretty funny.

In Cali, jammers are illegal. But so is not having a front plate. I figure that I'd be asking for more trouble than it's worth to have a jammer considering they haven't pulled me over for no front plate up until this point so far.

If it's still legal in NJ, go for it. But it's going to be an expensive waste of money when (and believe me they will) outlaw them in all states.

Drive safe.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Honestly, I was going to do this too, but I found it's kind of pointless on a C5.

The C5 has a very low laser profile if you don't have a front plate. I don't. I've watched cops try to laser me all the way up to the point that I'm passing them, which is pretty funny.

In Cali, jammers are illegal. But so is not having a front plate. I figure that I'd be asking for more trouble than it's worth to have a jammer considering they haven't pulled me over for no front plate up until this point so far.

If it's still legal in NJ, go for it. But it's going to be an expensive waste of money when (and believe me they will) outlaw them in all states.

Drive safe.
Thanks I have heard this about the C5 and I too run without a plate. Perhaps I will attend a local Laser Test Session and see how the C5 does before I do the install and save the set up for my daily driver if the C5 does well.

If any has one installed let me know or post up some pictures. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

A friend of mine has them on the front and rear license plate frames. Saved him several times. Sends a signal back to the lazer and blocks it for 5 seconds giving you time to slow down.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pulled the wire covers on my Z. Like the looks better anyway.

Blinder units going in there this weekend.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Pretty cool stuff. I just did a quick meet n greet with a laser guru in my local area. He was shooting me with the laser gun of choice of my local Leo's and I had no counter measures installed on the car. Because of the shape, dark color and no reflective items on the front of the Corvette he couldn't get a reading until I was under 850 feet. So we figure with a good install even in the air duct area I should be good, if I continue to run without a front plate.

Stay Tuned more details to come once it's installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Laser Jammer on C5/Z06, Questions

Quick Reply: Laser Jammer on C5/Z06, Questions