Sponsored by:

[Z06] Dyno tuned my 01' Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Gooser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tuned my 01' Z

I made 375 rwhp and 365 rwtq. This was with cats that have now been removed since my smog test. Mods are LG streets, 1.85 comp rockers, PAC springs, ported TB, descreened MAF, S&B oval filter on a powerduct, and B&B bullets.
Car feels noticeably stronger without the cats. Probably at about 385 now. It previously had a mail order tune by Frost. He got it amazingly close on the vette but was a little off on my 99 TransAm. The TA picked up about 20 ponies and did 351/364. It's a full bolt-on LS1 without cats.
Clint at American Intense Racing did my tunes and I highly recommend him to anyone in the Denver area. He will be installing my cam this summer.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Sinister-Z
Racer

Is this Goose From Colorado?

-Billy
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow, that's pretty damn good. I only put down 360/364 with LG Pro Longtubes (no cats) and B&B Bullets plus the tune.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Wow, that's pretty damn good. I only put down 360/364 with LG Pro Longtubes (no cats) and B&B Bullets plus the tune.
The rocker arms make a difference when dialed in.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A Dyno tune is good for everybody.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

If the rockers were 1.8 you would have the same lift as the '02+ cam, but slightly less LSA (shifts the powerband slightly lower in the rpm range).... so with 1.85 rockers you've got an extra little bump in peak however there's the piper to pay somewhere else lower down the band (extra lift, but not a lower LSA -miniscule in this case-)

Anyways, the rockers made the headers pretty much on par with a header'd/tuned '02+.

Nice to see physics play out and make sense.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Gooser
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sinister-Z
Is this Goose From Colorado?

-Billy
Negative Ghostrider. I'm in Colorado though...Ft. Collins. I go by buckwheat on LS1Tech. I hunt geese a lot around here.

-Tim
Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Sinister-Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Gooser
Negative Ghostrider. I'm in Colorado though...Ft. Collins. I go by buckwheat on LS1Tech. I hunt geese a lot around here.

-Tim
Ok. I thought you were Goose who hangs out at Dragon Every once an awhile. He also has a red ZO6.

Anyway, nice numbers! I just sold my 02 TA. It put down 513 rwhp on RMCR's dyno in the Springs. I already miss it.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 AM
redfin
Cruising

-Tim
Cool, I lived in Fort Collins for 7 years. Got laid off from LSI Logic and moved to Huntsville, AL for work back in 06. We even have those damn Geese all the way down here. I miss my Fort Collins beers. We finally can get some of the New Belgium brews locally. Odell's 90 Shilling was my favorite though. You ever go to Old Chicago's? I am on the wall of foam twice. LOL Can't forget about the Rio's margs either...
Old 04-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mph1972
The rocker arms make a difference when dialed in.
I didn't realize the rockers made this much difference. I'd like to look into this a bit more. Can somebody expand on it for me?

Is it really worth about 10rwhp? Any negatives from swapping rockers with otherwise stock springs, pushrods, etc?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Gooser
Instructor

Originally Posted by redfin
Cool, I lived in Fort Collins for 7 years. Got laid off from LSI Logic and moved to Huntsville, AL for work back in 06. We even have those damn Geese all the way down here. I miss my Fort Collins beers. We finally can get some of the New Belgium brews locally. Odell's 90 Shilling was my favorite though. You ever go to Old Chicago's? I am on the wall of foam twice. LOL Can't forget about the Rio's margs either...
Definitely some good brews around here. I have been here for 10 years after transferring from Houston and love it. Wall of foam? Whats it take to get there?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Gooser
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sinister-Z
Ok. I thought you were Goose who hangs out at Dragon Every once an awhile. He also has a red ZO6.

Anyway, nice numbers! I just sold my 02 TA. It put down 513 rwhp on RMCR's dyno in the Springs. I already miss it.
I bet you do miss it. I like driving the vette more than the TA by a longshot but I just can't bring myself to part with it. I dunno...its just a part of the family I guess.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Gooser
Instructor

I didn't realize the rockers made this much difference. I'd like to look into this a bit more. Can somebody expand on it for me?

Is it really worth about 10rwhp? Any negatives from swapping rockers with otherwise stock springs, pushrods, etc?
It is worth at least 10 ponies but you will have to swap out the springs. I also installed comp pushrods and guide plates (necessary) since they were part of the package I got a deal on locally. I think you are better off just doing a cam swap instead as you will get MUCH more power. The only place in the powerband I could feel the difference was in the low to midrange. Peak power felt a little flat actually but the dyno disagrees.

My plan now is to install a mild cam that offers a lot of torque and keep the lift at about .580 . Probably a 222/224 on a 114. I need it to pass smog as well.

The comp rockers are nice units and should be more reliable than the stockers as a bonus.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

It is worth at least 10 ponies but you will have to swap out the springs. I also installed comp pushrods and guide plates (necessary) since they were part of the package I got a deal on locally. I think you are better off just doing a cam swap instead as you will get MUCH more power. The only place in the powerband I could feel the difference was in the low to midrange. Peak power felt a little flat actually but the dyno disagrees.

My plan now is to install a mild cam that offers a lot of torque and keep the lift at about .580 . Probably a 222/224 on a 114. I need it to pass smog as well.

The comp rockers are nice units and should be more reliable than the stockers as a bonus.
You don't have to swap the springs, but it is highly recommended. A buddy of mine did it without swapping the pushrods or springs and he was fine.

Just search around and you should find a lot of information on this topic. Is it worth it? If you find a used set, it is not a bad upgrade, because it really is a relatively easy thing to do, but it does require some tuning afterwards.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Gooser
Instructor

I guess you could get by without swapping springs but why? The PAC spring I went with are much beefier than the stock 01' pieces and the install with a crane tool and an air hose was a walk in the park.

Getting the valve lash just right takes some time as rotating the crank is a little tedious with the limited clearance to the balancer bolt but it is easy enough.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:36 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I guess you could get by without swapping springs but why? The PAC spring I went with are much beefier than the stock 01' pieces and the install with a crane tool and an air hose was a walk in the park.

Getting the valve lash just right takes some time as rotating the crank is a little tedious with the limited clearance to the balancer bolt but it is easy enough.

It really isn't a bad install.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:42 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow those are great numbers. I have a cam installed now that im dynoying saturday, but when i had LG streets installed w/ corsas i laid down 362/360

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno tuned my 01' Z

Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
redfin
Cruising

Definitely some good brews around here. I have been here for 10 years after transferring from Houston and love it. Wall of foam? Whats it take to get there?
At Old C's, have you seen the big wooden beer mugs on the wall with little brass plates on them? Those are the names of people who have completed the World Beer Tour. You have to drink all 110 beers that Old Chicago carries. There is no set time frame you have to do this in. You can do the tour over months or years. If you like Old Chicago and beer, it's worth looking into. Have you ever raced your Vette at Bandimere? When I lived in Fort Collins , I had a supercharged 90 Mustang and a very quick not stock Ford Lightning. I took both to Bandimere many time each. Both were fun rides. Have to say this Z06 is a blast too! : ) Not only does it go, it handles great and stops on a dime.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Gooser
Instructor

I do like beer! I just don't drink as much as I used to. It would take me years. Sad that I have never been down the quarter. That's gotta change!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Gooser
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZZ06
Wow those are great numbers. I have a cam installed now that im dynoying saturday, but when i had LG streets installed w/ corsas i laid down 362/360

Awesome. Let us know what she does with the cam.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dyno tuned my 01' Z