Sponsored by:

Should I use a car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I use a car cover?

I have to leave my baby in a garage for 6 months thru summer FL heat. I have a cover, heavy weight with flannel-type inner layer. Are there any potential downsides to using this type of cover for indoor storage?

Garage is clean and dry with a well fitting roller door but no a/c.

Cheers, Andy
Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Joe Scafide
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Default cover

If naples is humid i would leave cover off
Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 AM
1timtim1
Advanced

I used a good quality cover and all it did was put fine scratches in the paint, I quit using it. I think dust gets under it and when you pull it off it scratches. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me in the summer I would leave it off.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:05 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in hot/humid/dusty summers, AZ. I've used a CALIFORNIA CAR COVER COMPANY COVER on my car since '06 on my Z16. I had used their (flannel lined) covers since '95 on two show cars. While I use the cover for inside the shop protection only, it can be used outside for short term storage. After months of storage and frequent R&R, I've never found any dust beneath, nor scratches on the surface.

The cover I use is called the "Superweave", not inexpensive, but it protects the car against all contaminants, UV resistant and water resistant. I chose this particular cover because it folds down into a very compact bundle which can be carried in the Z16 trunk cubby hole. It's a thin high tech material resembling a nylon material. It can also be washed/dried in typical home washer/dryer units, unlike the thicker flannel products I used in the past. I think most people with the typical heavier/thicker covers do not bother with cleaning them regularly. I know I didn't. The downside to the heavier covers is they're awkward for a single person to R&R them.

Any cover should be removed/folded in the recommended manner so that the clean interior of the cover never comes in contact with the contaminated exterior of the cover. The clean interior of the cover should never come in contact with the floor/ground.

QUOTE:

"Providing the premium in outdoor, all-weather storage protection; Superweave is our most UV resistant, water resistant and weather resistant cover. The versatile Superweave material features unsurpassed moisture, dust and pollutant protection. The encapsulation technology goes INSIDE the fabric, around the fibers, resulting in a silky smooth finish that glides over fine paint finishes. Superweave is also dust-proof so it will keep your vehicle clean whether it is stored indoors or out. It still remains exceptionally breathable, allowing moisture, condensation and heat to easily escape from under the cover. When rain hits the cover it simply runs right off and any moisture left on the cover will usually dry in about 10 minutes. Its unique lightweight design also enables it to fold up to 1/3 the size of your typical outdoor car cover (about the size of a sweatshirt or jacket), but does not take away from its ability to protect your automobile's finish. The material is also easy to care for because it is the only fabric that is washer and dryer safe. 4-year limited warranty. The Superweave can be ordered in one or two-tone color combinations. Available in Black, Bright Blue, Grey, Sky Blue, Green, Red, Taupe and Yellow. Motorcycle covers are also available in the Superweave material; in Black, Grey and Taupe - single color designs only. Made in the U.S.A."

Last edited by hotwheels57; 03-27-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have a cheap but good fitting car cover. I use mine when my car will be parked for more than a week, and ONLY put it on a freshly washed car.

Zero issues so far.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've noticed when I've tried to use a cover that it does more harm than good. Dust seems to collect under it anyway and as the cover either blows in the wind or the motion of taking it on and off seems to sand the dust into the paint and scratches it.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 PM
tcburch
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta go with leave it off...humidity will gather under and probably be more damaging than anything else you could do. Could always purchase one of the "lightweights" so it has plenty of breathing but keeps dust off...just thinking...
Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 PM
mooney201
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since our car is black, it shows dust very quickly. I keep it under a light cover similar to flannel material for dust protection. We are in a dry climate, " no humidity". Since it is in a garage, there is no wind.
This works for me.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:45 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For 6 months storage... Yes cover it, you should be fine.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave up with the hassle of covering my Corvettes PERIOD...dust gets on them anyway cover or not...its quicker to dust them off then to uncover them then put the cover away (somewhere???)...

Bob G.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 891 Likes on 589 Posts

I have used the same type of cover Hotwheels57 does for 10 years on my C5 stored on my lift and the paint finish is pristine. If you use a cover correctly and in the right circumstances, it should do a good job protecting your paint. The type of cover I use does not damage the finish when kept clean and used on a clean car, even when left on for months at a time in a non-air-conditioned environment, which I have done.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:35 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would anyone put a cover on inside a garage? The only benefit I could possibly see is keeping the dust off of a very long term storage car. Why would you do that for a week at a time? Just asking.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Big-Red
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14

I use a CoverCraft car cover year round, as long as the Vette is waxed
and clean, no issues!! I have two cats who just love to sit on the car.
I use a California duster before putting on the cover.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
mooney201
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Why would anyone put a cover on inside a garage? The only benefit I could possibly see is keeping the dust off of a very long term storage car. Why would you do that for a week at a time? Just asking.
Black cars show dust in hours not days.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 PM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good Conversation

Leave mine in Florida from May through December. Have always covered it and no real problems but still always wash and wax when I get back?? This year no cover and hopefully all will be fine.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:49 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Default Result!

Thanks for all the replies

For ..........7
Against ....6

My cover came with the car and has never been used. It is Stormshield and was supplied by the dealer and is GM approved.

I have just done an exchange roof for nearly $700 and it looks so good I want to protect it from any contaminant as I assume Lexan is more easily damaged than glass.

Cheers, Andy
Old 03-27-2011, 07:05 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I keep all my cars covered.....inside or out.

When inside,I'll either use a Budge Tyvek cover or use a homemade cover which is 2 kingsize sheets sewn together.

\db2
carolina

Get notified of new replies

To Should I use a car cover?

Quick Reply: Should I use a car cover?