Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Should I buy GMAC warranty at dealer with car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Mtnvettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a 5 year after-market policy on the 02 Coupe when I purchased it, $1600. About 2 months before it was to expire, the passenger side headlamp would not raise. The dealer replaced 3 units in the system and the bill to the insurance company was more than $1600, but they did not quibble about it. I renewed again for 4 more years, but the policy excludes some items, such as door control modules, etc. Tried to put a policy on the Z06 when I purchased it, but was not able to get one because it was a Z06, even with low mileage. You are lucky that you can get a policy for the Z06, even with exclusions, but I think $2800 is too much of a premium.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Evil Oil Apologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of all the extended warrantees I've heard of, GMAC appears to be the best. All others are extreme rip offs and a cash cows for the sellers.

That being said, even a GMAC will have exclusions. You're talking about the years beyond a regular new car warrantee, and stuff breaks. To not lose their shirts, GMAC has to exclude some things to stay afloat with insurance.

I may be talking out my butt, but..........(funny how that sounds) I would purchase an extended warrantee just to cover MAJOR failures. That being said, you just have to write off the charge for the insurance as just that. Las Vegas odds on something big going kaput, like the motor. Don't expect the insurance to fix the ash tray.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Should I buy GMAC warranty at dealer with car?