Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did my inner front brake pad wear faster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
BenC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why did my inner front brake pad wear faster?

I wonder why my passenger side front inboard brake pad wore quicker than the outboard pad?

Is it because the pistons push that pad first?

If I can recall, the inboard pad on my dirtbikes always wore out faster because of this.

I have to put in a new set of pads tonight as I got grinding on that wheel. I felt the inside of my rotor and it is rough, must be the backing plate hitting my rotor, ouch.

I'll replace the pads tonight until I can get a new rotor and some new Hawk HPS pads.

Thanks to DeeGee for his great write up on the pad/rotor change.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 821 Likes on 390 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

You may have a piston that is stuck for one thing, Also if that rotor is scored you really should have it turned (if they can be) before you simply slap a set of new pads on.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
BenC5
Drifting

I'm going to have to dig-in as to the reason why my inner rotor-face is scored, which it is.

I have been wondering why I get mega-brake dust, so much more than the drivers-side and I now hope to get some answers. I always thought it was just the brake pads, that somehow the passenger side was just making more dust, which it is.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6speed
You may have a piston that is stuck for one thing, Also if that rotor is scored you really should have it turned (if they can be) before you simply slap a set of new pads on.
This is the only reason it would. something is wrong on that side of the brake pad.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Has the system ever been bled?? Moisture could have caused some minor corrosion to cause the sticking piston. Pushing the piston back in for the new pad will temporarily relieve the situation,,,but a good bleeding is a must!!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Thanks all.

I'll admit, for the past 2 years I've had the car now, the ONLY thing I did not change out is the brake fluid. I had "rangered" it out of the MC 2 or 3 times, but never bled anything.

I'm going to see to it that I git er done.

Now, what might have corroded?, the piston in the bore?, or a brake line? My feeling is the former.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

The caliper should "slide" on the caliper bolts yours are probably stuck.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
lucky99
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might check your brake lines. When the lines get old they start to break down and acts like a one way valve not letting the brake fluid return.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
BenC5
Drifting

What should I lube the pins with?, disc brake grease?

These are rubber lines with a short piece of metal-line on the ends, right?

I did have an old 77 Chevy Van with a 3 on the tree that had a clogged brake line, caused the pads to hang up on the rotor big-time. I'll have to check, bleed first, lube the pins . . .
Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
uberC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
If the slide pins are stuck, then the piston will push on the inboard pad without drawing the outboard pad onto the rotor. Piston sounds like it's working, slide pins sounds like they are not.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The right front inner pad will always wear faster then the other pads, within reason so the question is how much faster did it wear?
(On a street driven vehicle).
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
There is your answer. The inner hits first and pulls (slides) the outer one into the rotor.

Check your slider pins for wear or lack of lubrication. Probably the latter.

edit: should have read all the responses before posting
Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
BenC5
Drifting

You guys are all awesome, thank you a thousand-times!

The slide pins are what the brake pads "ride" on, right? The top one the one that I'd need to take off with a 15mm to rotate the caliper back to get the pads on/off?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
uberC5
Racer

Originally Posted by BenC5
You guys are all awesome, thank you a thousand-times!

The slide pins are what the brake pads "ride" on, right? The top one the one that I'd need to take off with a 15mm to rotate the caliper back to get the pads on/off?
Yeah, the caliper bolts up to the two slide pins. If they are truly stuck, you have 2 options. Both options require removing the caliper bracket(what the slide pins are in).
1. Rebuild yourself. Heat is your friend here. If they are frozen hard, heat the metal around the pin socket, use vice grips to pull pin once housing is hot. Discard old pins. Buy caliper hardware kit, comes with new pins, clips for pads, and caliper bolts.

2. Buy new brackets. Pretty self explanatory there.

Good luck! It's not a difficult job, but it is a very important job to get right.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate single-piston brakes. Cheesy!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It was a mystery to me. No sticking and nothing seized. In my case it was the drivers side front pads that wore most but even on both sides. The other front pad was close but not as bad. The rear pads were still good.

Last edited by DeeGee; 02-23-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM
BenC5
Drifting

Good news!

First, thanks for all the advice/suggestions on what to look/look out for with regards to my issue.

I was anxious to get home last night and do the job. Got home around 10pm, took the wheel off then spun the rotor and could hear the groaning, looked at the rear pad and it was indeed ground down to the backing plate, eek! I think what happened and why I didn't catch it sooner is the warning-"tang" somehow snapped off so I got no warning or I would have changed the pads much sooner, my bad for not looking/inspecting more often.

The good news is that the slide-pins are sliding so no wear or replacement necessary there. That and both pistons slid right in easily, I was worried that I'd have one stuck but once I got them started it was easy to push them back in with my fingers.

Changed some of the spring-clips, slid the pads in and the caliper slid right up and back over the pads, super-simple. It is extra- easy in how all we need to do to change the pads is take off the 15mm bolt and the caliper just pivots down and out of the way.

I wish I could have popped in the Hawk-pads that dust-less as I've been wanting to for so long but with poor planning, I had to go to my local/sent the wife to the local Chevy dealer who got the stock AC Delco pads for me by 2pm yesterday so I paid the price. I could have gone to PepBoys and had their ProStop's for $50 a set.

All in all, I'm just going to change the drivers side pads either tonight or tomorrow night and be good for a while.

Get notified of new replies

To Why did my inner front brake pad wear faster?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Ben, thanks very much for letting us know. I dislike people that "hit and run" by asking for help and then never letting all us wanna-be troubleshooters know what they found.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 PM
MagRed04C5
Instructor

As far as the Brake Dust........Ceramic Pads are your friend.

Last edited by MagRed04C5; 02-24-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

A word of advice,, Keep an eye on it for any signs of a leak!! Even though it pushed back in easily,,IF it was out that far and stuck,,there is a chance that there was a bit of a corrosion ring out there.pushing it back in gets the seal back on fresh smooth surface,,but there MIGHT be some slight damage to the seal. Not saying there is going to be a problem,,just take a peek back there once in a while for peace of mind!!

Last edited by itzza427; 02-25-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Why did my inner front brake pad wear faster?