Sponsored by:

Belt squeeks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM
vetteboy850
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt squeeks!!!

I have a 98' which was bought 3 years ago. It was squeeking after 2 weeks of the day i had bought it. I had extended warranty so I took advantage of it and took it back to the dealership for them to fix it. I was told that it was the Harmonic Balancer needed to be replaced. So I had them replaced that. And the squeeking stopped. 5 months later I replaced that new balancer with an after market BBK UnderDrive Pulley and still no squeek. Untill last week every morning that I start the car...I get this annoying squeeking noise. And it just seems to get louder as I accelerate and stop when I let off the gas. I tryed spraying the belts with Anti-squeek that i got from the autoparts store but it didnt do a damn thing. I still get hear that annoying noise. Anyone know how I can fix this? I havent changed the belts yet...(I am going to buy the Gatorback tonite to see if it can cure my problem).
Old 02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 875 Likes on 437 Posts

A/C pulley gets worn & mis aligned..
Also the belt tensioner pully..

How to figure out?
Take off the serpentine belt
Start car, if no squeek, belt tensioner...
If there is still squeeking, its the A/C pully..
Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 PM
vetteboy850
Instructor

okay thanks going to try that tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
vetteboy850
Instructor

okay i just got back from riding. And no more squeek noise. Until in the morning when i do a cold start it comes back
Old 02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
RealmSteel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you are going to have to do your test on a day when you have time.
Start the car until it just starts to squeak then turn it off and pull the main belt.
Start it again and if it squeaks, it's with the AC belt.

I just replaced my AC tensioner a week ago because of this.
I also have the BBK UD pulley, but that's not the cause.
The tensioner bushings inside wear out and put the pulley out of alignment.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
vetteboy850
Instructor

Start the car without the main belt?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by YO-EL
A/C pulley gets worn & mis aligned..
Also the belt tensioner pully..
How to figure out?
Take off the serpentine belt
Start car, if no squeek, belt tensioner...
If there is still squeeking, its the A/C pully..
Check that for sure. A friend had the same issue and that's what it was.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM
RealmSteel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy850
Start the car without the main belt?
Yes.
There is no problem running the car with the belts off for a minute or so.
I wouldn't go any longer though.
The main belt drives the water pump.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 PM
vetteboy850
Instructor

I am having AC problems also. When I turn the ac on after like 30 secs a LOUD screeching noise coming the middle vents starts. Even when I use Defrost. I have no clue how to fix this. Has anyone else had this problem before? Do I need to recharge my ac? As of right now I dont have AC or Heat. I tryed changing the fan speed but that didnt do anything to make the noise stop or quiet down a little.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
LHill92
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Squeaky belt

How does it go? You can't see the forest for the trees. I did everything I could think of to stop my belt noise in my c6 vette including replacing belts and pullies, with no luck. So I thought what if the belts have to be absolutely clean. The reason I say this is as a last resort I used belt dressing and the noise got even louder. So I decided to remove the belts and clean them and the pulleys with 409. I let everything dry and then reinstalled the belts. Believe it or not the car actually runs smoother and quieter. All righty then, Ok by by then.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 PM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

About every 3 months my A/C belt starts to squeak. When this happens, I smear a drop or two of silicone oil on the belt and the noise stops. I suspect the squeak is caused by a slight shaft seal leak on the water pump. As mentioned above, cleaning the belt would probably do the same thing but the silicone oil treatment is easier.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM
C5VetteMIA
Advanced

Hey vette boy I am going through the same problem I replaced the belts with Gator belts squeaks went away for about and month or two and returned a couple of weeks ago, I purchased both the main tensioner and the ac tensioner along with their corresponding pulleys I expecting the noise to disappear I will keep u posted.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:26 PM
tony123
Instructor

Default squeaky belt or ?

Originally Posted by vetteboy850
I am having AC problems also. When I turn the ac on after like 30 secs a LOUD screeching noise coming the middle vents starts. Even when I use Defrost. I have no clue how to fix this. Has anyone else had this problem before? Do I need to recharge my ac? As of right now I dont have AC or Heat. I tryed changing the fan speed but that didnt do anything to make the noise stop or quiet down a little.
I had my squeaky belt fixed about 3 month ago. This is the case. I did it step by step. first I replaced all my belts. Then I got desperate and pissed off and I replaced all my pulleys. After I replaced the last one on the bottom of, I think its the A/C, the squeaking was still there like it was challenging me...AGAIN!! Then I took that stupid thing, the W-40 and i spayed just a little sprits on the A/C wheel. I don't know if Im explaining this well but the big thing on the bottom on the right side of the engine is what I'm talking about and I sprayed just between the wheel and the block of engine, probably on the bar thats coming into the engine from the wheel (not on the belt). After that my squeaking stopped within two secons. Now, enyone can tell me what happened? I just know that I was happy with the new belts on the engine and no more squeaking. So far it's been three months. I am in Kentucky and I'm driving my C-98. Keep your chin up buddy.

Last edited by tony123; 03-02-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt squeeks!!!

Quick Reply: Belt squeeks!!!