Oil filter change

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Oil filter change

Hi guys........Need a little input here from all you geniuses. I have the stock delco oil filter on. Had to have the oil changed a week or so ago & didn't have time to do it myself so had the dealer do it. The other day noticed a drop on the garage floor. Checked, and it appears to have a minor leak at the oil filter. So I think the gasket maybe twisted or they left the old one on also. Anyway, I want to change the filter back to Amsoil (since I'm a amsoil distributor anyway) & want to know how much oil I would lose just taking the filter off. Have plenty to re-top it but want to have a big enough pan in case I lose a lot. Anybody know?
Thanks,
Gregg
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,300 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The rubber gasket is attached to the filter so I don't see how they could have messed it up. Try to see if the filter is tight.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:02 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default oil capacity

If I remember right, the PF46 holds about a third to a half of a quart.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yea, I agree. but like me, you're using common sense, LOL. It seems to be on tight. I normally put oil on the gasket before installing , don't if this wasn't done so the gasket will be dry and twist (don't know if that's the right term) slightly and cause a slow leak. I don't know if that happened or not. Thought I would just cahnge the filter anyway to be sure. Curious as to how much oil I would lose. Also, seems to be a little overfill on the dipstick. Changing the filter would remedy that also.
Thanks,
Gregg
Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by killain
If I remember right, the PF46 holds about a third to a half of a quart.
That's what I would think also but didn't know for sure.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:58 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sometimes when a old filter is removed, the rubber gasket can stick to the machined surface. This could be due to somebody not applying a small amount of oil before installing it. When the new filter goes on and nobody looked to see if there was an old gasket there, the two gaskets will not really seal that tight and a leak can easily develop.

Always check the mounting surface and apply some clean oil to the new gasket and tighten properly. It's always a good idea to pre-fill the new filter with oil before installing. The PF46 should take about a half-quart to fill it. You don't have to fill it to the top of the threaded opening; maybe a 1/2" from the hole will be fine.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Sometimes when a old filter is removed, the rubber gasket can stick to the machined surface. This could be due to somebody not applying a small amount of oil before installing it. When the new filter goes on and nobody looked to see if there was an old gasket there, the two gaskets will not really seal that tight and a leak can easily develop.

Always check the mounting surface and apply some clean oil to the new gasket and tighten properly. It's always a good idea to pre-fill the new filter with oil before installing. The PF46 should take about a half-quart to fill it. You don't have to fill it to the top of the threaded opening; maybe a 1/2" from the hole will be fine.
Thanks C4....I've senn this happen more than once. Normally I change my oil. This way I know it's been done right. But, had a weak moment & paying for it. So, guess what i'll be doing tomorrow?
Again Thanks for the info,
Gregg
Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use a dab of grease all around the new oil filter gasket.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
Will do----Thanks vettegirl

Gregg
Old 02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i would just use new oil around the gasket, u just need to damp to get a good seal...u dont need to soak it and grease would be bad news if it some how got into the oil system
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,366 Likes on 14,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I don't think you would lose any more oil than what the filter has in it.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 PM
momo20
Safety Car

if you take off the filter you will lose some oil..not much...refill the oil filter as you would normaly and reinstall...start the car..run it for a few moments..then shut off check oil level..and add as needed!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I don't think you would lose any more oil than what the filter has in it.
Yes you will, a little more. Oil flows from the filter when you loosen it, from the"lines" above it, and a little drips from the fitting after you remove the filter.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Originally Posted by momo20
i would just use new oil around the gasket, u just need to damp to get a good seal...u dont need to soak it and grease would be bad news if it some how got into the oil system
you only use a little on the gasket.

a mechanic of 40 years showed me to do this.

once i used oil and it leaked.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 PM
momo20
Safety Car

you only use a little on the gasket.

a mechanic of 40 years showed me to do this.

once i used oil and it leaked.
never heard of that ...but learn something new everyday been changing my own oil on several cars for over 15 years..and always just wet my finger with some oil and trace around the o-ring..never had one leak...what kind of grease are you using..i am curious now
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Check to see if it is tight, other than that wipe it down really well just to be sure that residual oil is not just dripping down from a careless tech barely doing his job.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Originally Posted by momo20
never heard of that ...but learn something new everyday been changing my own oil on several cars for over 15 years..and always just wet my finger with some oil and trace around the o-ring..never had one leak...what kind of grease are you using..i am curious now
Valvoline General Multipurpose Grease for GM, European and Japanese vehicles.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil filter change

Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Is everyone else **** fill the oil filter and make a mess

I've been changing oil and filters for over 50 years and NEVER I repeat NEVER filled the oil filter when installing it. The filter will fill up INSTANTLY with oil when you start the engine. Are you all NUTS?!
Also I have used my finger to use some new or even used oil on the gasket. The car doesn't know or care that you didnt use pristine oil on the gasket. Its a mating surface not a sump. Stop being OCD. Remove the filter, make sure the gasket came off, use a rag to wipe the mounting surface, put a few drops on the gasket of the new filter, spin it on and see when it contacts the base bracket, turn it from 3/4 to 1 full turn just after it makes contact, while still up on jackstands or ramps start the engine and make sure there are no leaks, then go have a beer and lower the car or back it off the ramps.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 PM
momo20
Safety Car

its a 50/50 debate that in the end its up to the end user..i perfer to pre fill it.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bighank
I've been changing oil and filters for over 50 years and NEVER I repeat NEVER filled the oil filter when installing it. The filter will fill up INSTANTLY with oil when you start the engine. Are you all NUTS?!
Also I have used my finger to use some new or even used oil on the gasket. The car doesn't know or care that you didnt use pristine oil on the gasket. Its a mating surface not a sump. Stop being OCD. Remove the filter, make sure the gasket came off, use a rag to wipe the mounting surface, put a few drops on the gasket of the new filter, spin it on and see when it contacts the base bracket, turn it from 3/4 to 1 full turn just after it makes contact, while still up on jackstands or ramps start the engine and make sure there are no leaks, then go have a beer and lower the car or back it off the ramps.
That is what I have been doing (for probably 50 years also). I never filled the filter either but I guess that's OK. Never had one leak before but this was done by a dealer & this car has never leaked anywhere til now. It's only a drop or 2 even after the car has been run and parked overnight but just wanted to fix it as this bothers me as much a blown motor. I was planning on changing out the filter anyway since I only use Amsoil & filters. But I'm a distributor for them so I use what I sell and I like the product. Cut open a Amsoil filter and a delco pf46 & you'll see the difference.
Anyway, enough of that.
Just wanted to thank all you guys (& girls) for the expert advice. I think most of you have been on the same page & I really appreciate the advice. This is what makes this a great forum, not just a good forum.
Thanks to all,
Gregg

Quick Reply: Oil filter change