Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny Highway
Is this in jest?
Nope. She is just an idiot that never has any thing good to contribute
Old 01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

OP, this isn't against you or anything....

Why are people so surprised that a Corvette can drive in the snow??? It has four tires like all other cars and trucks on the road. The Corvette is just a car people, enjoy them, drive them. Just don't be stupid; if you have tires designed for dry weather then of course you won't have much traction in snow or rain.
Buy snow tires and drive your car. And when it gets dirty, WASH IT!!!!!! Bam!!!! Value restored!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by av8or
I replaced the tires on my wife's Acura with Continental Extreme DWS... just passed 5K miles.... terrific tires. Quiet, grippy, great in Nebraska snow.

I'm ready to replace my C5 original RF's...and looked at DWS but was spooked by Tire Rack's refusal to list them as Corvette replacements due to the difference in speed ratings between the front and rear sizes. I suspect they took that stance due to possible litigation. Obviously they work on a C5...any tire experts around to advise on mixing speed ratings??
Not a tire expert, but I have sold many sets of tires.....personally I would not ever sell a set of tires with less of a speed rating than what came on the car OEM.

Corvettes obviously come with Z speed rating tires, and I would not sell a set of tires for a Corvette with less.

I'm sure the biggest reason for Tire Rack's refusal is fear of litigation, as is mine. Not many owners are going to drive their Corvettes at speeds in excess of 186mph for sustained periods, but the higher speed rating also indicates the tire's ability to withstand high heat generated by that rate of speed.

At the end of the day - those four tire patches are the only contact we have with Mother Earth, and I want those patches to be maximized and the proper ratings to keep me and everyone around me safe.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Kale
Team Owner

It's not that the tires have a lower speed rating than factory -
Its that the 17" contis have a different speed rating than the 18" contis, so you end up with two differently rated tires on your car.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
Not a tire expert, but I have sold many sets of tires.....personally I would not ever sell a set of tires with less of a speed rating than what came on the car OEM.

Corvettes obviously come with Z speed rating tires, and I would not sell a set of tires for a Corvette with less.

I'm sure the biggest reason for Tire Rack's refusal is fear of litigation, as is mine. Not many owners are going to drive their Corvettes at speeds in excess of 186mph for sustained periods, but the higher speed rating also indicates the tire's ability to withstand high heat generated by that rate of speed.

At the end of the day - those four tire patches are the only contact we have with Mother Earth, and I want those patches to be maximized and the proper ratings to keep me and everyone around me safe.
Really??? I mean, really???

Who the heck is going to do 186+ in the snow? )FYI though, DWS are ultra high-performance all-season tires and are Z rated)

People, use a little common sense. Figure out how you plan to use your car and buy tires accordingly.
Why are people complaining that their summer tire equipped cars don't due well in the snow, and that their all-season tire equipped cars don't take corners as hard as they should.

I know common sense isn't really that common, but just take a little time to think.

Last edited by manley845; 01-27-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Gunny Highway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how the different ratings are a big deal. They're both Z-rated. The fronts are W, good up to 168mph and the backs are Y, good up to 186mph.

Has anybody here ever driven their Vette at these speeds?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,435 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
every second you are driving in the snow your corvettes value is plummeting.
Hardly, but it does take a lot longer to get it back to the nice clean condition it may have been in before the snow, especially if cinders/salt was put on the roads.

I try to avoid driving mine in weather like that, but on previous Vettes I have been stuck out in the snow. I made it home in one piece, but can't say it was my most pleasurable driving experience. Proper tires can do a lot to get you around.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:13 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so it snows every 4 to 5 years in New Orleans. You probably realize we have other more urgent weather events to consider. Let your Vette be parked or rest in the garage when theres a significant weather event.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Back in the late 60's I had two stingrays (64 & 65) both were daily drivers. I worked midnight shift in the Forrestal building in downtown DC and parked them on the street over night while I worked. No one ever bothered them in DC. It snowed often enough, but they actually handled pretty well in the snow. I did get a hard top stolen (off the 64) in the parking lot of our apartment complex in Alexandia However.

I then went out and bought a 65 coupe so no one could rip off my top.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
every second you are driving in the snow your corvettes value is plummeting.
Heh, some of us knew we were buying a car, not a Da Vinci painting.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS = epic