Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**RANT** Why do C5 owners do the craziest mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 AM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree with your list. I also agree GM got it right the first time with the C5. I could add to your list but don't want to create a pissing match to the thread.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5
#12... lambo doors on a Corvette..

That should be #1

To the brakes. Your brake fade is on the front brakes 99% of the time. GM put ducts on Zs that have the same brakes as non Zs

I like them on my Coupe
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette

That should be #1

To the brakes. Your brake fade is on the front brakes 99% of the time. GM put ducts on Zs that have the same brakes as non Zs
They run your brakes up to about 10% cooler IIRC, the only downside is plastic on the side of your car.

Last edited by Kale; 01-17-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
2QIET
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, most of what I see is "domesticated rice" plain and simple. I mean come on is it really necessary to have added bolts on your car with little Corvette logos? The car already has too many logos on it! We know its a Corvette, get over it already! Or "hey I've got a 90mm throttle body on my car.. oh really who tuned it? What do you mean tune?" People throw parts on their car just to say hey I threw money into modifying my Corvette and come off looking like asses. Or they do a mod half assed, for example putting in an aftermarket stereo, ok cool but why do I see iPod cables half hidden behind your dash coming out causing the panels to bow out? uugh... I thought I left the rice crowd when I sold my Supra, looks like it spread to the domestics while I was out of the game...
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Glad to hear that OEM stock looking cars are wanted by someone. I'm one of those who could never leave well enough alone. Of course my hobby of customizing and entering car/bike shows means that "if" I were to enter a stock looking vette I might as well have parked at the jiffy store and gotten as much points for the shows. Purists are a different creature than those who want to be different.

But in the end, someone will be happy to get a stock Vette after the owner kicks the bucket on a few decades. Personally I'm gonna mod the crap out if it and drive it in the ground, and have a smile on my face when they plant me in the coffin.

I laugh at the idea when I'm gone someone is gonna have to collect all the trophies and plaques and cart them to the dump. But it's just having fun!

Last edited by sfc rick; 01-17-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:28 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Here we go again. I still don't understand why it bothers some people so much what other people do to their car.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM
spoon98hatch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God I thought I was the only one that noticed these things!!! Everyone on here rags on the Import guys- but in reality they build way cleaner cars than most of the corvettes you see.

# 13..... tail light louvers
Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM
2QIET
Heel & Toe

I agree with the modifying but a car, hell mine and Glenn's are both modified but the "rice" I see everywhere is just getting really bad. If I wanted to see that I would go to an import Fast and Furious event but alas I am a little more grown up. Just the other day I saw a C5 with a C6 nose grafted onto it... I just about threw up in my mouth.

While I agree the shape of the C5 is almost right the back has always bothered me a bit. It just tapers off and ends. Power was always a little lacking for my taste but thats a cam, header/exhaust and tune away from fixing for the most part. That will also fix the sound issue... its an unapologetic American sports car not a Prius, it should sound ANGRY!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:35 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh here's an idea ....... Let's post pics of the most stock looking Vette!!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 AM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

:
Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Here we go again. I still don't understand why it bothers some people so much what other people do to their car.

What is tasteful in your eyes, might sit different with others! Let them enjoy their car and stop stressing over it. IMO, stock is boring! Imagine how bland life would be if we all wore the same style clothes, lived in identical houses and drove identical cars. Oh yeah, post a pic of your car so we can see your mods!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Gunny Highway
Racer

While I don't agree with all of the observations made in this thread, I have seen some really bastardized Vettes on this forum. People just go way over the top with the mods, like duel color door grabs, or that "handle" on the dash that I don't know why anyone would be touching to begin with. And then of course there's the "how many Corvette logos" is too much problem, but for some, apparently having 30 on the car isn't enough.

In short, the Vette easily makes it into the top 5 category of riced out vehicles only behind Mustangs, Camaros and older Civics.

I get it that "it's their car," but there's also a thing called taste. Some people have it, some don't.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 AM
2QIET
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Gunny Highway
In short, the Vette easily makes it into the top 5 category of riced out vehicles only behind Mustangs, Camaros and older Civics.

I get it that "it's their car," but there's also a thing called taste. Some people have it, some don't.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
spoon98hatch
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Oh here's an idea ....... Let's post pics of the most stock looking Vette!!!!
I just change that and post my Modded '01 coupe. I like it and I really could care less what anyone else thinks, so here goes;

Old 01-17-2011, 12:01 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

TR6speed,

Looks great!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6speed
I just change that and post my Modded '01 coupe. I like it and I really could care less what anyone else thinks, so here goes;

You have a relly cool vette.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
2QIET
Heel & Toe

uuugh... not to nitpick or anything but Jake... He's a C6-R kinda dude, not C5-R. The C5-R days were known as the "Take No Prisoners" motto days with a generic skull. Jake was conceived by Eddie Jabbour and was used for the first time in 2005 on the C6-R.

I'm just sayin'

Get notified of new replies

To **RANT** Why do C5 owners do the craziest mods

Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Scriz
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The cost of the C5 has fallen enough that it is rapidly becoming the Civic of the domestic tuner market. You may as well claw your eyeballs out now cause it is only going to get worse. Now every young punk can afford to rice out your beloved platform and perform all the modifications you hate. May be time for you to upgrade to something the "kids" can't afford..............yet.

Chris

PS: My C6 rims (with spacers so they don't stick out) look awesome on my vette.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Z06 stuff, I agree, they don't belong. I don't care for wheels from different years but in some cases I think they're fine and look good.

But what I like doesn't mean crap as long as I don't have to pay for the car or the mod.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 2QIET
uuugh... not to nitpick or anything but Jake... He's a C6-R kinda dude, not C5-R. The C5-R days were known as the "Take No Prisoners" motto days with a generic skull. Jake was conceived by Eddie Jabbour and was used for the first time in 2005 on the C6-R.

I'm just sayin'
There were no Jake's in the C5-R days. I have the Jake on my car because I support Corvette Racing. I realize that some have taking to making a Jake with the C5 logo, but I prefer the original Jake.

Quick Reply: **RANT** Why do C5 owners do the craziest mods