PS2 ZPs

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default PS2 ZPs

Is anyone else here running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
NittanyLionDen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the original Goodyear's with these tires in May. I am completely satisfied with them. What a difference in the ride and handling! And the peace of mind of the run flats especially with my wife in the car when we're out of town. Worth every dollar in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

How about road noise?

I have them on the rear's, the A/S Plus ZPs on the fronts still have another 20K left on them. I had A/S Plus ZPs all the way around but the rear's wore out at 20K on a 45K tire. Michelin gave credit for the different but man, I'm thinking I should have stayed with the A/S, they are so much quieter. Even my original F1 EMTs where nothing at this level when they had 14K on them.

I'm really disappointed in them as a result of the road noise and vibrations (not an out of balance vibration). Many of our roads here locally have been repaved recently and you'd think they'd be really smooth and quiet on new roads. But they are not.

Yeah they stick really well and will snap around a turn. I'm considering writing to Michelin about it but wondered if other C5 drivers have them and what they are experiencing with them.

Oh definitely agree...the peace of mind of ZPs is great.

And with temps in the 30's recently, when they say its a summer tire they mean it. A little extra power and they will spin losing grip. I only have a few thousand miles on these.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Vette707
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season ZP this past spring. What I difference from the Good Year's. The ride is much better and the noice level is a lot less. I am very happy with these new tires. Go for it.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the A/S Plus ZPs on mine since '08. No problems with them, still approx 80% tread left (maybe 20,000 miles on them) left. They seem to ride well and are quiet. Much better than the GYs I think. The roads here are terrible and bumpy, so if a tire rides good on these roads, they're good. On a resurfaced road, the ride is great. Remember though, the vette has a stiffer suspension than a regular car and, IMO, you're still going to feel anything on the road no matter what you have on. But, I think that's what these cars were designed to do.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah even with Z51 my A/S ZPs were "super" quiet compared to these PS2s. (Well given that notion up to about 20K plus, but after they start wearing beyond half life they got noisy like any other tire.)

I thought the PS2 would be the better tire and figured since the A/S Plus wore out prematurely and Michelin was kicking in a few hundred why not start the upgrade process.

It's almost like I'm driving with studded snow tires.

Yeah the first generation A/S ZP went at 22K (front and rears), but when the second generation came out, A/S Plus ZP, they got the 500 wear rating and the premature wear problem was suppose to be fixed. Now my front A/S Plus ZPs at about 22K now look in excellent shape but the rears wore out the centers way early and I am meticulous about the cold air pressure at 30psi.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 AM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great tire, will run them when gy emt are done
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM
msgvert
Instructor

I've had mine on for about a month and have to say the handling is much better. I was hoping for much less noise but that does not seem to be the case - I guess that's a run flat trait. They sure look different from the GY's once on the car though.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM
BenC5
Drifting

I've had my PS AS ZP+ for about 7-8,000 miles now and am thrilled with them.

I have found that they are quiet. As quiet as the non-funflat Falken FK452's I had on.

On brand new highway pavement we got up here, totally smooth, no vibration and oh-so-quiet.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:39 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Have them on my C6.... because the rears wore out... I haven't figured that out.
They are quieter than stock and last longer but are still noisey compared to the PS2 non run flats on my C5
Old 12-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That's interesting. I was wondering how they were on the C6 and C6 ZR1's which they come stock on for the ZR1.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:41 AM
arobber
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use them and think they are completely sufficient for every day use.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 AM
98am
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had them for about 6 mo. and noticed a big difference from the get go,
feeling more confident and responsive around curves and corners.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I have notice more of a trend, that once I get above 60 (including triple digits) the noise settles down. But between the 45-55 range, I swear they feel/sound like studded snow tires.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
mtdriver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my Goodyear GS D3's with the PS2 ZP's last summer and I'm very pleased with the Michelins. The PS2's perform as well as and are about as quite and the non run flat GS D3's, which I thought were a great tire. It was time to replace the tires and I decided to go with the run flat for the piece of mind. I travel a lot of two lane rural roads through the summer and see few cars along with spotting and quite often, no cell phone service. I'll definitely be a repeat buyer on the PS2 ZP tires.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well a quick update, I completed a survey for Discount Tire and rated the service center excellent but added a comment about how disappointed and horrible the PS2 ZPs were. Excessive noise and vibrations and not so sticky in the rain. Well they called and said bring it in we'll swap those PS2 ZPs for a new set of A/S Plus ZPs to match the front. No charge. I took them up on their offer.

Before I got to work, I knew it was the right decision, these A/S ZPs are so quiet and smooth.

Thanks Discount Tire if I wasn't a customer for life before, I certainly am now!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Ps2 a/s

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Well a quick update, I completed a survey for Discount Tire and rated the service center excellent but added a comment about how disappointed and horrible the PS2 ZPs were. Excessive noise and vibrations and not so sticky in the rain. Well they called and said bring it in we'll swap those PS2 ZPs for a new set of A/S Plus ZPs to match the front. No charge. I took them up on their offer.

Before I got to work, I knew it was the right decision, these A/S ZPs are so quiet and smooth.

Thanks Discount Tire if I wasn't a customer for life before, I certainly am now!

Wow, that's good to know.

Wow, that's good to know

Gregg

Get notified of new replies

To PS2 ZPs

Quick Reply: PS2 ZPs