Sponsored by:

[Z06] What to get for street brake setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Z06seal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get for street brake setup

My brakes are worn out, and they're warped from the previous owner...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the C5 brakes (ugh I wish Z06 had upgraded brakes compared to normal C5s) are pretty good brakes with street use and little track use...

I would like some drilled rotors (not sure on drilled/slotted, i think drilled looks better)

are drilled or slotted rotors worth it with the Z06 since we have the air cooling ducts? I guess it would just make it run even cooler?

also some good pads. I need both front and rear obviously

I did upgrade my E36 BMW to the SS brake lines, and I dont think it made any difference so I don't know if I even wanna bother with that.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Based on you comments I assume you mean the pads are worn down to the wear indicators and you are getting some scrapping noises from them. Or did you measure the pad thickness? There really isn't any such thing as warped rotors. You probably have uneven pad deposits on the rotors which then cause a pulsing in the brake pedal due to the change in friction as the pads pass over the deposits on the rotor.

The drilled rotors provide lots of bling but not much function especially on the street. You might be able to get the deposits off the rotors by doing some aggressive stops. My self if the pads need to be replaced I would go with stock pads or some Hawk HPS pads. If the rotors are heavily scored, cracked or at minimum thickness then I would go with the NAPA Ultra Premium solid rotors or the Rock Auto ones (same thing).

A lot of guys get extensive track usage out of the stock brake system. The biggest issues are pad taper due to hard braking that results in a long brake pedal stroke and cracked rotors due to heat. Using stock pads you can probably get 10 or 12 track days out of a set of rotors. Race pads drop that down to 3 to 4 days for front rotors.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-18-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Drilled rotors are for looks only...they all crack if you track the car. Slotted rotors like powerslot will work fine, or just OE rotors will work good. I recommend carbothech bobcat pads for the street, they grab better than OE C5Z pads with far less dust. Ceramic pads have less dust, but less grab...that's why the bobcats are the best of both worlds. Also, the steel lines are a good upgrade...take the spongy feel out of the pedal. Goodridge lines are what I recommend.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 12-18-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Z06seal
Pro

I see... so no drilled. So should I do slotted? if there is no big improvement I might get just basic ones from rock auto I guess. So is there any improvement with the slotted rotors?

as far as the me calling them warped. there are heat spots on the rotors. certain parts of the rotor, there are shinier spots that have a blueish hue to them surrounding the spot. maybe every 4-6 inches or so. I'll try to get a pic and show you guys. it does do the jerking motion when I brake bit heavier than usual.

I'll check the carbotech bobcat pads. anyone else have anything to say about these or any other pads?

how about EBC Ultimax BlackDash USR Slotted rotors?

Are there any benefit to slotted? I mean if there is no benefit to

Last edited by Z06seal; 12-19-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off I do not do any Official Track driving of my Car. I do some very spirited street driving though. And I do mean very spirited. Hard Braking.. I upgraded to Baer EradiSpeed +1 (2 Piece Rotors) Front & Rear. I did instantly notice I had quicker Acceleration do to Dropping more than 10lbs of Rotating Mass with the 2 piece Rotors. I also added Hawk (STREET) brake pads & Stainless Steel Lines. Brakes felt much better and stopped shorted and harder than before. THEN I flushed and Changed my Brake Fluid with NEW... HOLY COW.. Now I can throw Myself or Passenger threw the windshield in less that a Micro Second.. What ever you do.. I would suggest changing the brake Fluid with your upgrade.

Pictures of my Brakes.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 AM
GBsC5Vert
Pro

Location: LA/OC border, probably sittin' under the patio, by the pool...smokin' a cigar! SoCal

[QUOTE=slvrzo6;1576257788]Pictures of my Brakes.

Are the front and rear rotors reversed? (right on left/left on right) My slots run the opposite way. Same for the rears. Doing google searches now, and they all look opposite of what your's look like. Maybe it's the Sam Adam's I've been drinkin' tonight!

One from the web....

Last edited by GBsC5Vert; 12-19-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

It must be the Same Adams. All Slotted Rotors work this way. Here is a Copy of the Instructions from Baer rotors. Plus they are stamped which goes where on the Rotors. I've seen lots of Slotted Rotors installed wrong. Maybe yours are wrong. The Sweeping Vane is supposed to point forwards. Zoom in on the Pic Below.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:03 AM
GBsC5Vert
Pro

Location: LA/OC border, probably sittin' under the patio, by the pool...smokin' a cigar! SoCal

SlvrZ06...Just ran outside in the rain with a flashlight to the garage, and my vanes do run opposite of yours. Mine are AC Delco's though. I do remember the "R" and "L" stickers on the rotors, and I wasn't drinkin' when I put them on. Now I gotta go search for pics of the Delcos to see if they match the direction I have.

To the OP, sorry for the off-track. Back on point now.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:29 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Originally Posted by GBsC5Vert
SlvrZ06...Just ran outside in the rain with a flashlight to the garage, and my vanes do run opposite of yours. Mine are AC Delco's though. I do remember the "R" and "L" stickers on the rotors, and I wasn't drinkin' when I put them on. Now I gotta go search for pics of the Delcos to see if they match the direction I have.

To the OP, sorry for the off-track. Back on point now.
I just was reading on the AC Delco's. Yours are installed Correctly. The vanes on Delco's run reverse of Baer & Brembo. It's the Inside vanes that pull air to keep them cool anyways. So I guess I was wrong in saying all Slotted rotors work this way.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 AM
GBsC5Vert
Pro

Originally Posted by slvrzo6
I just was reading on the AC Delco's. Yours are installed Correctly. The vanes on Delco's run reverse of Baer & Brembo. It's the Inside vanes that pull air to keep them cool anyways. So I guess I was wrong in saying all Slotted rotors work this way.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

If you don't track the car, get a set of free pads with new rotors from brakeperformance.com.

They look good and work fine on the street. If you track the car(besides 1/4), then I would listen to the guys above that do that.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 AM
RamAirTA
Instructor

Location: I'll Keep My Guns , Freedom And Money. You Keep The Change. FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned before rotors do not warp. If your rotors are not scored, use some sand paper and some elbow grease to clean the surface up. Replace the pads if necessary.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Z06seal
Pro

Link to those rotors Baer rotors?

What causes those heat spots on the rotors?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Z06seal
Pro

Originally Posted by winters97gt
If you don't track the car, get a set of free pads with new rotors from brakeperformance.com.

They look good and work fine on the street. If you track the car(besides 1/4), then I would listen to the guys above that do that.
I'll check that out. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 AM
VonDutch
Instructor

Go brembo Drilled Sport for the street

I've been running them for Awhile now

And I have no sign of cracks

Top notch rotors

Get notified of new replies

To What to get for street brake setup

Quick Reply: [Z06] What to get for street brake setup