Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I woke to find this the other morning . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 PM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

That's a shame,but as other's have stated,at least you have the culprit.

Don't want to make this more difficult or negative for you,but just as a heads up,white is one of the most difficult colors to match correctly.

When you first see it done,you may have a tendency to accept it as is.

Just be sure you see it in the sunlight from different angles and are happy with the match. What once may be glee, could turn out to be a continuing source of frustration if you skip this step.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
chevbowtie22
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just got off the phone with her insurance. They are taking full liability for the accident. I'm a bit more relieved. They told me I had two options to move forward. Either I take to one of their shops and they start on it or I take it somewhere else and they send out an inspector to verify the damage. I mentioned the rental and told them I have 4 jobs and everyday without a vehicle I lose money. They say I can't be granted a rental till they verify the damage. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the car to one of the body shops I have had recommended to me. The sooner they look at the car the sooner I can start to move forward.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Happened to me once, left the car where it was with a big sign on the windshield explaining my feelings about the inconsiderate jerk......
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
chevbowtie22
Instructor

So I just got off the phone with her insurance company again and I must say she was very courteous. I wish I would have started talking to her in the beginning. My blood pressure would have greatly appreciated it.

Anyway I've decided to go with Vogely and Todd out of Nashville for my work. They were recommended to me by a member here and a few people I know around here. Judging by their website they seem to have a very modern facility and the testimonials look promising. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if they have a tow truck to pick up the car and Enterprise has a car waiting for me in the morning. I guess we will see how this all pans out.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:27 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 821 Likes on 539 Posts

if that don't pan out, call Freeland Chevy. they know a lot of shops around town & deal with a lot of vettes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:44 AM
jdot
Drifting

Glad it's all working out for you. Keep checking in with the company doing the repairs. That keeps your face and name in their minds while they're working on your car and lets them know you mean for it to be done correctly. If you didn't already, take pictures of the damage for your own personal records. Once again, good luck.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

damn!!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Silver Beast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
The best way to handle this is to have your insurance company handle the claim and getting your car fixed to your satisfaction. They will then go after the other company to reimburse them. This way they will fight for you but at the same time it won't affect your insurance rates. If you go with the other company they will fight you all the way to pay as little as possible and fix it as cheaply as possible. When my car was hit in a parking lot by another person while parked, my company got my car repaired with all new parts and finished perfectly. The key in your favor is having a police report stating who the guilty party was. I even had a free rental to use until the job was complete.
I once dealt with an insurance company on my own, I got jerked around, better off having your insurance company deal with her insurance company, less stress and aggravation for you.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 PM
chevbowtie22
Instructor

Well the vette has just been dropped off at the body shop and I'm cruising in a sweet Chevy Cobalt. Haha. Oh well. I don't care as long as it goes forward, backwards, and turns. I will make sure the body shop knows that I'll be stopping in once in a while to check on the car. I'm also having them take a look at a few other little things that have been bothering me since I bought it. Thanks guys for the support. I'll be sure to update this thread as time and progress has been made.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:58 PM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Very happy to hear that this is working out for you. Best of luck with the repairs, I hope they fix her up good as new.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 PM
chevbowtie22
Instructor

So I've already heard back from the shop. The estimate is going down as $4800 as written at this time. They are going to replace the door shell, and front panel, the inner fender panel, and blend the paint on the hood a rocker panel. Part availability is looking like its going to be an issue though. The door shell is back ordered by GM so its as good as discontinued. The rest of the parts they said the can find. It would normally be a 10 day repair but with part availability and the holidays coming up we are guessing mid January.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GM discontinued outer panels for the car when the car is only 6 years old?! That's dumb.

Well, good luck. Sorry it's going to take so long.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 PM
chevbowtie22
Instructor

There is actually quite a few parts that GM no longer has for our cars. It's ridiculous. I can understand them not having parts for the C4's but the C5 parts not being available sucks.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:00 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow .Hope they fix it right for you!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:56 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chevbowtie22
There is actually quite a few parts that GM no longer has for our cars. It's ridiculous. I can understand them not having parts for the C4's but the C5 parts not being available sucks.
Basically them saying "You have a Vette, so you can afford a new one. Buy a new one. We won't support that one in a few years too so you can just buy a new one at that point as well."
Old 12-16-2010, 11:44 AM
chevbowtie22
Instructor

Yep. So if anyone has a drivers door shell just laying around collecting dust is be glad to take it off your hands.

Get notified of new replies

To So I woke to find this the other morning . . .

Old 12-16-2010, 04:34 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris308
holy sh!!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
snowbird12
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What happens if you need a door or whatever ?????
Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by tqracr
What happens if you need a door or whatever ?????
If you want a new shell then you are facked...not really funny though

Quick Reply: So I woke to find this the other morning . . .