Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM
khblair
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Default Passenger door coming unglued??

this is the passenger door...any idea why its doing this and is there any way to fix itshort of replacing it (which I can't do right now)

Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens a lot. You can pull it and reglue it,live with it or have them re-upholstered
Old 12-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed, common issue and the door panels are another discontinued item by GM. I ordered some from APSIS. Drop me a PM if you want detalis on that transaction.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:56 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Common problem especially if you live in warmer climates. Same thing has begun to happen to my 04' vert which really pisses me off considering the car is so well maintained, garage kept with low miles.

I'm even more angry that GM has already discontinued parts for a 6-year old car.

As mentioned, you have various options. You can pull off the door panel, drill holes and inject epoxy (there was a previous thread/right up) or you can replace the door panels.

Apsis provides high-quality Nappa leather options. Great looking, however a pricey alternative.

I have already spoken with a local automotive upholsterer who quoted me $500 to replace/reskin the vinyl, replace/repair the foam backing and swap out the lower door panel vinyl with a custom, mod red. I plan to do this when I get ready to swap out my seat skins and install the sound deadening material. Right now I will just live with the doors as they aren't too bad (yet).

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-06-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:23 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's an age old common C5 problem.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Another option I have seen is to buy a set of arm rest inserts.

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-door...1997-2004.html
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I'm even more angry that GM has already discontinued parts for a 6-year old car.
Given the enormous financial crisis GM has been experiencing over the recent years, do you think it possible the vendor that was actually doing the manufacturing of these panels for GM, cut off selling to them? I'll wager GM was taking longer and longer to pay their bills. Not to just their door panel vendor, but to everybody.

Alternatively, it may have been a situation wherein GM, realizing the warranty claims/poor quality arising from the particular vendor was costing them too much, actually cut THEM off and coincidentally could not find another vendor willing to tool-up and produce these items for a few more years and maybe were also even scared of GM's poor credit rating(s) about that time and didn't want to do business with them anyways.

There's often more to parts availability than meets the eye.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:51 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Another option I have seen is to buy a set of arm rest inserts.

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-door...1997-2004.html
I thought about simply adding these as well, however won't the these armrests stick up since you would be installing them over the OEM vinyl that's already pulled away from the door?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Given the enormous financial crisis GM has been experiencing over the recent years, do you think it possible the vendor that was actually doing the manufacturing of these panels for GM, cut off selling to them? I'll wager GM was taking longer and longer to pay their bills. Not to just their door panel vendor, but to everybody.

Alternatively, it may have been a situation wherein GM, realizing the warranty claims/poor quality arising from the particular vendor was costing them too much, actually cut THEM off and coincidentally could not find another vendor willing to tool-up and produce these items for a few more years and maybe were also even scared of GM's poor credit rating(s) about that time and didn't want to do business with them anyways.

There's often more to parts availability than meets the eye.
If that's true, I wish these vendors would step up and make themselves known.

For example, I was (still am) searching for a torch red passenger side door speaker grill as part of a mod-red conversion project I would like to complete. I have checked with many vendors and GM no longer produces the part. Most vendors don't stock these and are simply online portals to GM for ordering.

My question is what happens if a 2004 Z06 owner with mod red interior has a slight fender bender that damages the passenger door resulting in a repair and replacement of the door panel? "Sorry, you can only order it black". The car is only 6 years old! Same holds true with those owners with oak, shale and AE interiors.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

I thought about simply adding these as well, however won't the these armrests stick up since you would be installing them over the OEM vinyl that's already pulled away from the door?
Yes, they do stick up. About 3/4" or so. I have a pair myself. Problem is, they don't "solve" the problem as the un-stuck vinyl extends up the side of the doors as well and can be seen.

I'll be considering a solution like Apsis, etc next year.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Yes, they do stick up. About 3/4" or so. I have a pair myself. Problem is, they don't "solve" the problem as the un-stuck vinyl extends up the side of the doors as well and can be seen.

I'll be considering a solution like Apsis, etc next year.
Yep, that's what I meant by sticking up. You aren't solving the problem, just sticking something over the area which will not lay down flat without repair.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:03 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

If that's true, I wish these vendors would step up and make themselves known.

For example, I was (still am) searching for a torch red passenger side door speaker grill as part of a mod-red conversion project I would like to complete. I have checked with many vendors and GM no longer produces the part. Most vendors don't stock these and are simply online portals to GM for ordering.

My question is what happens if a 2004 Z06 owner with mod red interior has a slight fender bender that damages the passenger door resulting in a repair and replacement of the door panel? "Sorry, you can only order it black". The car is only 6 years old! Same holds true with those owners with oak, shale and AE interiors.
The numbers just aren't there for a vendor to invest big $$ in the manufacturing for just Corvettes and the relatively small number of items they could/would sell at retail. Won't happen.

An easy solution for you on your speaker grills is to unbend the mounting tabs on the back, remove them and take to a powder coater. Very durable finish. I have done this myself with a custom color. Find a powder coater and check out their color palette you can choose from. You'd be surprised how many colors are available.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My driver's door is loose in the center section. You press in on it, you can hear it stick then pop comes off again. Sort of bowed there now.

Your's appears different at that location creating almost a seam ripple.

I wondered about removing the panel and seeing how difficult it would be to some how feed some spray glue into the cavity and pressing it back together.

Here's a picture I have of mine, you can see the bulge in the center of the panel:

Old 12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
khblair
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions. I had a feeling that replacement would be the preferred option. But, its nice to know that in not alone with this problem
Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
jswfl09
Drifting

Originally Posted by khblair
Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions. I had a feeling that replacement would be the preferred option. But, its nice to know that in not alone with this problem

Nope, your not. '04 vert started doing it about a year ago... going to fix it and replace the horn pad by the end of the year.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Florida Mike
Racer

I recall a thread a while back about the same thing. The OP's pic looks EXACTLY like mine.

It may have been Lonestar and some others that we discussed methods to try to reglue these? I haven't tried yet but I have to pull my passenger side off soon so may give it a try if I can think up a way to get some adhesive in there and smooth it out before it dries.

May not work but worth a shot before just giving up on them.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM
avettelovertu
Burning Brakes

Go to the tech section and type door panel delamination- there is an excellent post w/pics on fixing this.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger door coming unglued??

Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

Definitely not alone. My 04 started it last year.but it's daily driver and sits in the elements all year. I figured that it was making it come apart faster.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:54 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

my 98 coupe has it
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 610 Likes on 412 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Hi Guys,

This is a common problem. What happen is when GM formulate their fomula for the parts they add some special additives and such additives kill the adhesion that cause such delamination.

When we wrap the leather, we remove the vinyl completety and then we inject the form material to the whole door panel and carefully sand it to fill the same thickness. It takes lots of labor but once it's done it will guarantee you won't get delamination any more.

Most venders just glue the leather direct to the vinyl and it will still delaminate.

If you are interested in upgrading your door panel to the nappa leather, it will become very beautiful and well worth the money.

Jersey

Quick Reply: Passenger door coming unglued??