ABS Control Module....???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Razmo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ABS Control Module....???

Guys,

Dropped my baby (03' C5, 30k miles) off at the dealer this morning for an ABS light. They are telling me that I need a new ABS Control Module. The cost will be about $1,700.00... WTF??

Does anyone know of this problem or an alternative?

Raz
Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Before you spend mega $$$$$$$$$$$ post up the codes

There are so many things to try before you spend that kind of $.

Looking at your avatar, if you're a military aviator, this is "box pulling syndrome". It may be that you need a new ABS box but it's worth trouble shooting first.

Last edited by DeeGee; 11-24-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 PM
khblair
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

absfixer.com
Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Razmo
Guys,

Dropped my baby (03' C5, 30k miles) off at the dealer this morning for an ABS light. They are telling me that I need a new ABS Control Module. The cost will be about $1,700.00... WTF??

Does anyone know of this problem or an alternative?

Raz
Raz,
For your year you can send it to www.absfixer.com

Look it up, it will work, this is a common problem, the dealer does not have anymore of these in stock. They don't make them anymore.

Does yours have active handling?

It makes a difference when you need to find a used one for reolacement - do a search on the ABS Module's here on the forum and youwill find a plethera of info - much with comments from me - I've had quite a few probs with my '98's ABS module which cannot be fixed but must be replaced and it is obsolete -

I have found a used one for my Vette!

Get the number off the top of the module and post it and I can help find one.

But make sure you talk with ABS Fixer - your year is an easy fix $150.00 you can pull the module yourself and still drive the Vette without it

Just wont have AH or ABS brakes - just like the old days but it will work till the module comes back from the repair shop

Thanks,matt 661-406-7516
Old 11-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Razmo
Racer

Boy oh Boy, am I glad to hear this! You guys Rock

Matt, yes, it does have active handling. Supposedly, they have found 5 available for purchase? He told me that it would be a good idea to buy one since they aren't making them anymore. He didn't breath a word about ABSfixer!! Any further help would be much appreciated Matt. I'll post the number a top the module when I retrieve it.

Do you know where the module is located? I'll ask the dealer for code report to and post, if they will give it to me.

Raz
Old 11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
khblair
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Matt, yes, it does have active handling. Supposedly, they have found 5 available for purchase? He told me that it would be a good idea to buy one since they aren't making them anymore. He didn't breath a word about ABSfixer!! Any further help would be much appreciated Matt. I'll post the number a top the module when I retrieve it.

Do you know where the module is located? I'll ask the dealer for code report to and post, if they will give it to me.

Raz
why would you buy another one when you can ship yours to absfixer and have it rebuilt with a lifetime warranty?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

Raz
No problem!

ABSfixer will more than likely repair what is going wrong.

Now as far as buying one and keeping it on the shelf, there is nothing wrong with that - You can even get some on ebay stores, from respectable vendors and vendors who part out damaged Vette's.

You can also look to Marc @ Vette Nuts http://www.vettenuts.net/ or www.corvetterecycling.com -- These both are forum Vendors and are always ready to help

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-24-2010, 02:37 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry missed the other question:

The module is located at the front of the Vette, pretty much right in front of the Power steering pump.

There is a clip of wires with a handle that go into the Module and four or five star bolts holding the module to the ABS Pump itself -

Remove the wire harness clip

Remove the bolts to the module, you may need a small flat screw driver to seperate or start the seperation of the module from the pump.

Send it to absfixer and you'll be back on the road in no time - or replace it with one you might of purchased and still send yours to absfixer for future use

Thanks,matt
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Razmo
Racer

Originally Posted by khblair
why would you buy another one when you can ship yours to absfixer and have it rebuilt with a lifetime warranty?
I wouldn't. I was simply expressing the BS I was hearing from the dealer. I sent Brandon of ABSfixer an email last week, still awaiting a reply..
Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Razmo
Racer

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Sorry missed the other question:

The module is located at the front of the Vette, pretty much right in front of the Power steering pump.

There is a clip of wires with a handle that go into the Module and four or five star bolts holding the module to the ABS Pump itself -

Remove the wire harness clip

Remove the bolts to the module, you may need a small flat screw driver to seperate or start the seperation of the module from the pump.

Send it to absfixer and you'll be back on the road in no time - or replace it with one you might of purchased and still send yours to absfixer for future use

Thanks,matt
Thanks Matt, it sounds like an easy part to remove. The dealer basically wanted $500 for the labor alone! Does anyone have a picture of the engine compartment, noting the location of the module? If not, I'm sure I can find it, but a picture is always helpful..

Raz
Old 11-29-2010, 01:13 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

From ABS Fixer web site....

http://www.absfixer.com/how_do_i_remove.php
Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Razmo
Racer

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
Awesome!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

What the guys are talking about is if you have a C1214 which needs an EBCM rebuild. It could be AH or it could be ABS

If its an ABS problem you need to post the code because the fix is different to an EBCM change. If it is a C1214 send it away but if you have something other than that we can troubleshoot

Do you know how to pull the codes?

Last edited by DeeGee; 11-29-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Razmo
Racer

Originally Posted by DeeGee
What the guys are talking about is if you have a C1214 which needs an EBCM rebuild. It could be AH or it could be ABS

If its an ABS problem you need to post the code because the fix is different to an EBCM change. If it is a C1214 send it away but if you have something other than that we can troubleshoot

Do you know how to pull the codes?
The only method I'm aware of, is to use a device which I don't own. Is there another method?

I asked the dealer for the codes, they told me they were unable to communicate with the module. I don't know if this is load of crap or not?

I'll look to see whether I can get the number off the top of the unit and post it if that helps?

Raz
Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

You can pull them from the DIC (Driver Information Center)..

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 11-29-2010, 02:34 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

The only method I'm aware of, is to use a device which I don't own. Is there another method?

I asked the dealer for the codes, they told me they were unable to communicate with the module. I don't know if this is load of crap or not?

I'll look to see whether I can get the number off the top of the unit and post it if that helps?

Raz
Use the method that oh1vette posted and let us know what you have. Some problems are difficult to diagnose but others are very straight forward
Old 11-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Razmo
Racer

Awesome, I'll see what I can find via the DIC tonight....

Get notified of new replies

To ABS Control Module....???

Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

I did my module a few months ago. While it is easy to do there is one tip I'll pass on to you. The re-install is not as easy as removal. The center two screws to the module are just about a blind install. I used tape to hold the screws in place. Before installing the module, I inserted the screws into the channel (center screws) and the screw holes, just far enough to be flush with the module and then taped into place. I carefully placed the module to the abs manifold, then carefully found the screws with screwdriver (in the blind) and tightened. It worked great, no dropping screws and chasing them down. Also be care if you are leaning in from the passenger side that you do not crush the sensor on the pipes running along the fender area. I think they are A/C lines with sensor. You can drive while your module is being fixed. I used some plastic wrap and cable ties to cover connectors and keep cables out of the belt.

I also saw one of the modules on ebay for sale and it went quick and at a higher price than I wanted to pay. It was in need of repair and it still sold high. I thought about getting one just to have in 2023 when it's value would be $1k.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Razmo
Racer

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Use the method that oh1vette posted and let us know what you have. Some problems are difficult to diagnose but others are very straight forward

Okay, well Module 28-TCS reads NO COMM. (I assume this means NO Communication?)

Is this bad news?

Raz
Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Okay, well Module 28-TCS reads NO COMM. (I assume this means NO Communication?)

Is this bad news?

Raz
Maybe/Maybe not, I'd check wiring/connections/grounds 1st.

Quick Reply: ABS Control Module....???