2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Question About Corvette (Car) Show Judging

I've been able to hit a few more Corvette and open car shows lately. Although I love my stock(ish) C5 vert, I have not put near the amount of time and $$$ into mods like some of the cars I've seen at these shows.

Which brings up my question. IMO, I have seen some very nicely modded C5s. Very clean, painted parts, interior mods, wheels, etc. nothing over the top. On the flip side, I've seen C5s with every possibly Corvette nic-nac mod you could think of down to C5 logos on the valve stems. I've noticed that most of the awards seem to go to the guys who go out of their way in presenting a display board, list of mods, etc. Although this is great information, it seems to me that some of the nicer cars without these information boards are being passed over.

Now I know there are a lot of politics, preferences, etc. that goes into these shows, however I'm curious if these display boards actually help "sell" the judges.

A few weeks ago, I saw IMO a very overly modded C5 beat out a very clean looking C5 with subtle mods that enhanced the look, i.e. VE interior, CCW wheels, ACI spoilers. However, the overly modded C5 had a display board that detailed all the mods, owner information, etc. The clean looking C5 had nothing.

Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 PM
thechosenone
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion I think that most of the Vette's that win at these show just outright look horrible. Some of them are so over done they look like some of the ricer's I have seen at some of the import shows I have been to. And yes I agree that at some of these shows, it's who ya know, is all that matters.

It's the guys that come years and years to the same show that keep winning, and not because they car is the best. Lately I have seen some very tasteful and well done vette's get passed over b/c its a younger guy that just had the car no more than a year and he has not painted every damn thing in the car or b/c the other guys know the judges.

It is sad to see it this way, to me looks are the last thing I look for (although a ragged out vette is just as bad IMO). To me a taste full vette is floor mats, Wheels, Black-outs and some interior mods (nothing crazy) and maybe some body pieces if it is done right. But I bought my vette for one reason to go fast. And to do it as fast as I can Road or track. To each his own tho it's there car and if they feel the need to do all that overly modded stuff to the vette they can it's a free country, but it is just not my thing.

Last edited by thechosenone; 10-27-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM
vafirevet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is Politics. I'm not a car show or club guy but I've noticed it is usually the club folks who win. Not that their vettes are not great but it is who brings the most people and cars to the show that takes the top prizes. JMO: Don't take offense as I'm not attacking anyone. I have no issue with that but it seems wrong to some of the new owners. I've seen it with other clubs(Porche, Imports and Mustang as examples) and shows and it is not just a vette issue.

Pay your money, put your car in the show and vote. It is the American Way! Politics isn't always fair, honest or results in the best one winning!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If you look at a judging form most time there is a section for display boards and such. If you have any kind of display you get more points. Same with opening your trunk even if there is nothing to look at, no open trunk no points.

I do agree with the politics in some cases but it's not always the case.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 PM
JanMan99
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

IMO, car judging is way overrated.

Anytime you put your ride in a car show and are asking it to be judged by someone who does not know you or your car should just be satisfied that it is "just someone elses opinion" and nothing more.

I like to go to car shows, but very rarely enter my car anymore, unless the show benefits a good cause. JMO........
Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

The club I was once a member of puts on a Corvette show ever year and we do the judging. I try and judge the C5 class, and we are looking at over all cleanliness and attention to detail.

The problem I find in shows is two things well maybe three. The first is allowing participant judging. That is where each person showing their car goes around and votes for the other cars. Now some actually do go around and look over the cars, but many simple select cars that are parked near them, or that they know, or if a club shows up in force, they will win most of the awards. The second is no clear break between custom and stock. I have attend a few shows that when you submit your application, there is a sheet that requires you to check off what you have done to modify your car and each change has a point value if you reach a certain point total you are in the custom class. The last issue is tied to the second and that is most shows have stock and custom but no modified. I do see cars in the custom class that are nor where near custom, but are but stock either. So that can make a difference.

As I said I do attend shows in my area and I go mainly to hang out with friend and meet some new people. I also enjoy talking with those spectators that stop by and want to discuss my car and others in the show. I feel if a few people compliment my effort on my car that makes it all worthwhile.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 PM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It's the people stupid - not the JUDGING

Have only done one show and even though I felt my LADY was by far the class winner the result was NADA - But I was a winner because I met a number of great owners. The conversations were outstanding and I had a ball discussing all aspects of our cars.

Last edited by dquagliaroli; 10-27-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dquagliaroli
Have only done one show and even though I felt my LADY was by far the class winner the result was NADA - But I was a winner because I met a number of great owners. The conversations were outstanding and I had a ball discussing all aspects of our cars.

I go to meet the other "car guys/gals" like myself. See some custom work on various types of cars. Some of it is amazing !

I also like going to the shows that are charity's.... for kids, or hospital's, cancer, etc...etc. Its one way I can help make a difference.

I rarely win anything because I prefer to put my mod money into the Performance of my car (Heads/Cam/LT's/Exhaust/Coil Overs/Brakes... etc...etc.). It seems that the guys with no performance mods, but have flashing lights, and tons of way overdone bling on the interior win the shows. It does not bother me. Its sure not my taste, but some others seem to like it.

Either way were all Car nuts.... Its all good !

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 10-27-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

It surely surprised me a couple of times I won, I was like, where did that come from . I'm not trying to fill my garage with trophies or plaques, it's not that intense for me, (if it is for you, that's fine, I have nothing against what you do). I entered a car show in September, in Morgan City,LA, proceeds to the Police and Firefighters of that city, the cause was a good one, but I didn't even put my registration in the windshield.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

For most if not all local car shows there is no standard for judging. It's just a crap shoot of who you know or who knows you.

Generally in these shows Vettes with Lambos and lots of bling get attention even though most Vette guys don't like them.

The couple of shows that I have won were judged by guys that truly appreciate well done cars.

Funny is My 55 Pro Street Bel Air has received Best of Show or Best Custom etc at almost every larger car show but then at a couple local type shows did not get anything.

#1 in showing you car regardless of mods is to have the car super clean.

But the true reward is just hanging out with other car guys.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:55 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I agree the main purpose in attending these shows is to meet other Vette and car guys/gals. I like looking at how other people mod their Corvettes and it helps me share ideas, etc.

That's why my original question was whether judges like the display boards. Case in point from a few weeks ago was where an extremely clean, 50th anniversary vert with a very tasteful VE modded interior, custom wheels and a few painted/chrome pieces under the hood "lost" to a Torch Red C5 coupe with every possible piece of stainless steel trim you could imagine. The louvres over the tail lights had sculls and cross bones. He had a turbo and I'm sure the car was damn fast, however he took 1st place and the 50th anniversary vert didn't even make the top 3.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 PM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It is impossible to figure out carshows, so this is what I do, I go pay my money and look at the other cars take pics and enjoy the day with my buds. Every now and then you will get lucky or at least thats how i see it

But do clean it up before you go

From the post above me some shows if they are going to give you Best of Show will give the Class win to another car just to share the trophies so that isnt all that uncommon, it sends one more car owner home happy, and by the way your car looks great.......

Last edited by jon c; 10-27-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Car shows are a joke. Pay your entry...let your car sit in a parkinglot, baking in the sun for hours at a time, waiting for some member of the local club to come judge your car, only to win a trophy or plaque that the club spent 3 or 4 dollars on in the first place.
I don't need a club or a judge to validate that I have a nice car.
It seems that locally, the shows award the "new guy" to rope him into the club, and the cars that have every imaginable trinket sold by Ecklers or Mid America.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
JerG
Pro

I'm into Cruise nights, not Car Shows, particularily judged and/or all Corvette shows. When I didn't have a Corvette, I looked forward to going to Carlisle or an all Corvette show to dream or compare colors/options on my next Corvette but now I find them pretty boring except for the caravan to the shows. Really dislike any judged shows as they're no fun for me. I'll take a Cruise night any day, open to all years and makes.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 AM
basicstrategy777
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'20, '21,'22, '23

Personally, I believe peoples choice is the best way to judge a car. As a daily driver car that you take pride in and keep up to a high standard, the winner should probably be a car most people say " Wow....I'd love to have that car." When youi are on the road, people do not look at super-cleanliness or slight marks.....they look at the general overall imnpression the car makes. I get many thumbs up when driving my car
and that is a vote for me. Cleanliness does not make a sharp car.....the car does, IMHO.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM
BobAruba
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toque

I go to meet the other "car guys/gals" like myself...
...Either way were all Car nuts.... Its all good !
Toque

Originally Posted by JerG
I'm into Cruise nights, not Car Shows, particularily judged and/or all Corvette shows... ...I'll take a Cruise night any day, open to all years and makes.

Bob......
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Nation Council of Corvette Clubs

If you want fair judging on your car take it to any
N.C.C.C. Concourse
They only judge your car.
They will take points off anything that does not work, then get into the detail on the car.
It is a good way to see what areas your car may need some work since there is so much attention to detail.

I was a a NCCC show years ago and some guy entered his trailer Queen ShowOnly Corvette. Full Custom Over the Top display blower etc. etc.

The car does not run, Blower was for show only, Points were taken off
His hood was open and had the underside painted to match the exterior, but it would not close because of the blower. Points taken off.
Nothing worked on the car more points taken off.
The owner did not win anything, he was very upset since his non functioning Corvette has won all the Car Shows he has entered.
He had all his Trophies lined up all around, and around the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Question About Corvette (Car) Show Judging

Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bimmervet
If you want fair judging on your car take it to any
N.C.C.C. Concourse
They only judge your car.
They will take points off anything that does not work, then get into the detail on the car.
It is a good way to see what areas your car may need some work since there is so much attention to detail.

I was a a NCCC show years ago and some guy entered his trailer Queen ShowOnly Corvette. Full Custom Over the Top display blower etc. etc.

The car does not run, Blower was for show only, Points were taken off
His hood was open and had the underside painted to match the exterior, but it would not close because of the blower. Points taken off.
Nothing worked on the car more points taken off.
The owner did not win anything, he was very upset since his non functioning Corvette has won all the Car Shows he has entered.
He had all his Trophies lined up all around, and around the car.
Great story.

To clarify my original post, I'm not asking how to win shows, just merely trying to understand whether these showboards help cars win with judges. I find it interesting that from the shows I've witnessed, over-modded cars with showboards win over slightly modded or clean/stock cars with no showboards.

I overheard one ZR1 owner crying over the fact that he didn't get best in show at a Corvette-only show last month. It was stock. He won a small plaque for the C6/ZR1 catagory, however I guess he thought since he spent the most money, he should have won Best of Show. The winner was a 63' split window.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 AM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I have brought my car to a lot of shows. Sometimes I win, sometimes i don't. The main reason I go to shows is to talk with the other owners and to be overwhelmed at the money and time people put into these cars. No other make/model even comes close to what Corvette owners do.
I will admit that a lot of shows are biased. I've been to shows that more members of that particular state has club members and it seems that they win mostly in all categories.
I do have to give one state it's props... Connecticut. I decided one late morning to do to the show in Guilford,CT. I got there around 11:30am and the show started at 12 noon. I went there because I had absolutely nothing to do that Sunday. I just wiped the car down (didn't really clean her up - show style) and went around looking at the cars and when it came to award time, I'm getting a trophy. Took me by complete surprise. If anyone knows of this show, they will understand.
I was awarded because of how nice the car is..just that. It was a good feeling to have others recognize the hard work and $ that went into the car.( I do keep the car pretty clean too ) And I have no show-board!

Last edited by dcd58; 10-28-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Great story.

To clarify my original post, I'm not asking how to win shows, just merely trying to understand whether these showboards help cars win with judges. I find it interesting that from the shows I've witnessed, over-modded cars with showboards win over slightly modded or clean/stock cars with no showboards.
Yes a show board will help as it let's people know what's in the car that may not be visible just looking at it such as performance and suspension mods

Quick Reply: Question About Corvette (Car) Show Judging