my nightmare - suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my nightmare - suggestions needed

Good evening everyone.

I bought a set of used B&B shorty headers several months ago, and have been sitting on them being lazy trying to decide if I would install them or not... Well, tonight I decided to get off my but and enjoy some serious wrench time. My plan was to install new 02 sensors, new plugs, the headers, and clean the engine compartment up some - needless to say it didn't happen.

So here is my saga - sorry for the long write up, but you need to understand my distress.

I have installed headers(sidepipes) in the past so I wasn't too concerned, but cautious due to the power packs, and alternator with tensioner so I took my time expecting some issue, and everything was going surprisingly smooth until I tried to pull the manifold out. Well, the studs had been bent at some point, and would not separate from the H pipe. So... I wrestled with trying to bend them back, and decided to cut two to save time and get the process moving. Out came the manifold, things are going well.

I grab the passenger header and snake her in, put in the two outside bolts to hold it in place while I get the bottom bracket bolts into the H pipe to ensure alignment, fit etc... and then I realize what is wrong....

Any guesses? Anyone...

You in the front row are correct - the headers don't reach the H pipe. They are a good 2 fingers short of a proper seat with the header/manifold gasket to the H pipe... everything else lines up great. I am now wondering if the guy I bought these from (forum member) maybe had them on an earlier year, and there is a difference in length? Or maybe I just got taken all together. I have no idea, but I can't seem to find the extra 1.5-2 inches to make the fit correct....

So now I am left with my car in the air, a few serious decisions to make.

Here is where I need your help.

1. Is there a remedy or a solution I am not thinking of?

If there is no remedy what do you think my best option is here are a few I have thought of but I am sure there are others:

1. Will an after market x pipe with high flow cats make up the difference?

2. should I just get a set of long tubes, and x pipe, and start from scratch?

3. get a stock passenger manifold or new studs, and trade it on a c6z? (this isn't an option right now... hopefully next year.

4. push it off the jack stands and try for an insurance claim(haha)

Seriously, if anyone has a suggestion I am all ears... I am baffled, and a little miffed.

If I am missing something obvious, please tell me. Thanks.

I hope everyone is doing well, and sorry i will miss the skyline drive cruise this weekend.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 AM
lil vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put headers on.
Tie up existing exhaust good enough to get it to a muffler shop.
They can work wonders, in less time than it takes to say help.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:37 AM
MR.408FRC
Intermediate

THIS
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 AM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR.408FRC

THIS
x100%
Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Longtubes FTW

Chuck
Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

What they said. Long tubes are the only way to go.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I put a set of B&B's on my '99 and I'm pretty sure the ones I got would fit 97-99. The later B&B's would not fit my car so I'm thinking you've got a later set. I'm very pleased w/ mine though w/ a nice mellow tone though my B&B route 66 catbacks. Mustang Dyno had me at 326 RWHP w/ the only other option a CAI so don't let anyone tell you that shorties are a waste of money. I'd go w/ an earlier post - drive to a good muffler shop or take them off and get the right ones. $.02
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I have read on this forum over the years shorties have very little gain in HP over the stock manifolds. I would sell the shorties and get long tubes.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM
TN Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MR.408FRC

THIS

Did the seller specify which year C5 the shorties came off?

If you have to modify the exhaust in any way, something is wrong, they should be direct bolt in.

I just did long tubes, catted x pipe and Ti exhaust and love them.

Last edited by TN Vette; 10-26-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 AM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by craig04c5
From what I have read on this forum over the years shorties have very little gain in HP over the stock manifolds. I would sell the shorties and get long tubes.
You've only read what mis-informed people are saying. There is quite a bit of difference from stock manifolds, to shorties. Not as much as LT's, about half, but still a nice gain for the buck.
If you are planning on future mods, H/C forced induction, then go with the LT's, as you'll need more flow through the exhaust.
If you aren't going with future mods and only want the sound, then shorties are the way to go for cost.

OP: I'm betting your AIR tubes don't line up either. Get it to a muffler shop, have them fix the situation.

Last edited by sneakelman; 10-26-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,124 Likes on 995 Posts

Shortys are a waste of time.

Get rid of the shorties and put on some ZO6 manifolds.

I happen to have a pair for sale
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Post #2 describes what I'd suggest.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

#2 all day long. Putting on shortys is a minimal gain for your effort.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure there are different midpipes for 97-99, 2000 and 2001-2004. Sounds like you got the wrong year.

Also for future reference its easier to install them by just dropping the midpipe all together. Once the headers are in place connect the midpipe to the headers first, reconnecting mufflers last. Seems like more work, but it makes lining everything up WAY easier. Would save a lot of wrestling and cursing
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sneakelman
You've only read what mis-informed people are saying. There is quite a bit of difference from stock manifolds, to shorties. Not as much as LT's, about half, but still a nice gain for the buck.
If you are planning on future mods, H/C forced induction, then go with the LT's, as you'll need more flow through the exhaust.
If you aren't going with future mods and only want the sound, then shorties are the way to go for cost.

OP: I'm betting your AIR tubes don't line up either. Get it to a muffler shop, have them fix the situation.
Actually the air tubes line up fine, fitment is great, but they are definately not long enough to reach the H pipe - good 1.5 -2 inches short.

Looks like I will take the dive for some long tubes and x pipe... not really what I wanted to spend right now, but that is the way it goes.... might as well do it right. Plugs, o2 sensors, oil change, exhaust.... should be a good week in the home garage.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Munky
Burning Brakes

is there anything special I am going to need to look for/due during a long tube install? Any suggesions would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Munky
Actually the air tubes line up fine, fitment is great, but they are definately not long enough to reach the H pipe - good 1.5 -2 inches short.

Looks like I will take the dive for some long tubes and x pipe... not really what I wanted to spend right now, but that is the way it goes.... might as well do it right. Plugs, o2 sensors, oil change, exhaust.... should be a good week in the home garage.
Wow, if the AIR tubes line up, then they are definately for your year range. Something is really screwed up.
Did you try bolting up the factory H-pipe to the underside to see if that pulls it up enough to bolt the shorties on?

Get notified of new replies

To my nightmare - suggestions needed

Old 10-26-2010, 11:25 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Munky
is there anything special I am going to need to look for/due during a long tube install? Any suggesions would be great. Thanks.
I just finished another LT install yesterday. Piece of cake.
I removed the coil packs and alternator just to make things easy. Passenger side goes in from the top and you'll usually have to unbolt the starter and lift the engine to get enough wiggle room to get it down through. Use a 2x4 and a jack under the oil pan on that side to lift the engine up. Drivers side goes in from the bottom pretty easily, it will try to catch on the o2 sensor harness and grounding strap, just be aware and guide those around the back of the header.

When trying to get the first bolt and gasket on, do one of the middle ones to support the wieght of the headers so you can pivot them to line up the gasket for the other bolts. If you put one of the fronts in first you will have a terrible time trying to hold up the wieght of the header and line up the bolt and gasket(trust me, lol).

Once they are installed double check your starter wires and O2 sensor harness on both sides. They can hang really close and may need to be tied up.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by MawneeC5; 10-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 AM
MR.Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by sneakelman
Get it to a muffler shop, have them fix the situation.
By the time you do that you'd be into those shorties WAYYY to much $$$
Sell them, recoup some $ and go LT's
Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i concur: sell shorties and put long tubes in.

Quick Reply: my nightmare - suggestions needed